It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study shows e-cig smoke causes cancer and DNA damage in mice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Look up MASTER SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT. Each State receives hundreds of millions per month for each current smoker, sick,dead and since vaping that money is disappearing. That is the ONLY reason they are going after vaping. Vaping is 95% safer then cigarettes. They sell vapes in Hospitals in the UK and Canada has embraced it. People who vape know.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Sure it does....
Whose research ?
Everything gives lab rats cancer

Remember
Regulation=Revenue=Taxes=Government stealing money from the people they represent. (Yet don't. They just fill their pockets with stolen money)

edit on 10/8/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice
a reply to: FredT

Not to say that nicotine isnt damaging since it causes stiffening of the arteries which will lead to cardio vascular issues down the road.

But man... that vape juice sounds worse than plain cigs.

Its not...
Done been over this with members of the WHO and Emory University a few years ago.
It is very viable in getting folks off analog cigarettes.
And a hell of a lot safer.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So those mice had better stop vaping before it is too late.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Not to say that nicotine isnt damaging since it causes stiffening of the arteries which will lead to cardio vascular issues down the road.

Its not...
Done been over this with members of the WHO and Emory University a few years ago.

Viable? Yes. But while it is 'viable', vaping makes quitting smoking altogether less likely.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Its not...

Viable? Yes. But while it is 'viable', vaping makes quitting smoking altogether less likely.

Why ?
I myself have convinced may folk to kick analog cigarettes for the digital variety.
So , what makes you say that ?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Its not...

Why ?
I myself have convinced may folk to kick analog cigarettes for the digital variety.
So , what makes you say that ?

Key phrase 'for the digital variety'. They don't quit smoking, they switch to vaping and keep doing it.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

No it hasnt. Its so safe that the British government is encouraging it among smokers.

2 things need to be clear.....

- if you never smoked vaping isnt for you. Its a method of harm reduction
- black market thc cartridgrd3 are what caused health issues

Im open to receiving facts if any can be presented.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

"NEW STUDY SHOWS E-CIG SMOKE CAUSES CANCER AND DNA DAMAGE IN MICE"

The intent of the study was rather to show that e-cigarette vapor can have negative consequences that we don't yet understand. The fact that a significant portion of the mice developed cancer and DNA damage from exposure to the e-cigarette vapor is alarming.

Yes, I know, vaping is probably better for you than smoking cigarettes... A lot of people, myself included, have gotten off cigarettes by vaping. But the fact remains, we don't yet know what vaping is doing to the human body, and we should acknowledge that instead of just assuming it's harmless.

No matter how many times I tell those mice that vaping is bad for them, I just can't keep them away from that pipe.

Mice today...you can't tell them anything...

edit on 10/9/2019 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Here in Michigan, all flavored removed last week. Illegal to sell...and there are a lot of young Middleastern immigrants opening hooka stores, lounges, bars...here in Dearborn.

E Cigs to be banned shortly

If they ban vaping, but not cigarettes, something is very, very wrong with this country.

Oh yeah, its the politicians beholden to the corporate interests above (far above) that of their citizenry.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
jesus christ where to even start.

embrace ignorance, perhaps?

clue 1: "scientific" study names ecig aerosol as "smoke".

no combustion, therefore no smoke. This should be a big hint that it is incredibly biased and flawed.

this is the same nonsense that has been spewed for ten years, trying to ride the current wave of trendy news about vaping.

nicotine is not a carcinogen.

find evidence to the contrary, i'll wait.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: flitzanu

Never said it was a carcinogen but there is ample evidence that it supports and accelerates tumor growth
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

and after digging about a bit there are not challenges to that basic assumption. Remember its not the chemical but rather what the chemical becomes when vaped or whatever delivery method you are using

E-cigarette smoke delivers stimulant nicotine as aerosol without tobacco or the burning process. It contains neither carcinogenic incomplete combustion byproducts nor tobacco nitrosamines, the nicotine nitrosation products. E-cigarettes are promoted as safe and have gained significant popularity. In this study, instead of detecting nitrosamines, we directly measured DNA damage induced by nitrosamines in different organs of E-cigarette smoke exposed mice. We found mutagenic O6-methyldeoxyguanosines and γ-hydroxy-1,N2-propano-deoxyguanosines in the lung, bladder, and heart. DNA-repair activity and repair proteins XPC and OGG1/2 are significantly reduced in the lung. We found that nicotine and its metabolite, nicotine-derived nitrosamine ketone, can induce the same effects and enhance mutational susceptibility and tumorigenic transformation of cultured human bronchial epithelial and urothelial cells. These results indicate that nicotine nitrosation occurs in vivo in mice and that E-cigarette smoke is carcinogenic to the murine lung and bladder and harmful to the murine heart. It is therefore possible that E-cigarette smoke may contribute to lung and bladder cancer, as well as heart disease, in humans. www.pnas.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Not sure what facts those might be?

Is it safer than smoking? Perhaps yes, but much like the rush to get Aspartame out, the overall research was at best incomplete? Based on the research coming out (see post above) it may reduce typical cancers associated with smoking, but then enhances others.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

i got really bored again when this other scientific study refers to ecig aerosol as "smoke."

i tried to glance through a few pages and find out the methodology of how they are creating thge "smoke" they are referring to, because i find it amazing that mice have the dexterity to push tiny ecig buttons.

but really, most every single "study" like this involves some large combustion machine that is heating metal coils well beyond safe temperatures (that vapers would ever use or see) and blowing toxic fumes into mouse faces.

none of them are ever accurately replicating "vaping" in the manner that a person would actually vape.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Govts everywhere earn huge amounts on tobacco taxes. Big tobacco companies are threatened by vaping.
Follow the money?
"We subjected mice to vape clouds 24 hrs a day. They got poorly"
FFS.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Meanwhile - good job Gov Baker - ban the legal FDA approved stuff in MA so that people are forced to buy the black-market crap that's killing them in the first place. The bulge in his pocket is huge because there's a big fat check from Phillip Morris stuffed in there. A four month ban right before this tobacco giant has to file his Q4 earnings? Come on... how stupid are we? Ban vapes and not ban actual cigarettes? What a joke. Meanwhile - drive 30 minutes to RI or a little longer to NH and get all you want... even the fruity flavors lol! So the small businesses as well as people who use TCH vapes for medicinal purposes have to suffer. A good number of people who used e-cigs to quit regular cigarettes have certainly gone back to smoking, boosting those sales right before the end of the year.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

People have been vaping for years (many more weeks than 54), and we see no increases in cancers among these people.

FredT mentions the contents of the juice being an issue. I have to wonder what the controls are in these lab tests.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Honestly? i am not surprised by the study at all. These e-Cigs havent being popular in my area but still i have seen some who are smoking them,i agree these should be banned.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

First I should mention that e-cigs made it possible for me to quit after 40 years. Nothing else worked for me. E-cigs likely saved my life by adding years to my life.

I had an interesting conversation with a vape shop owner last week. They are in panic mode about the media and the hearings in D.C. not making it clear that the hospitalizations and deaths being reported are known to be caused by black market THC vapes. In fact the media and the government seem to be trying to cover that up intentionally.

My suspicion is the real goal here is to drive more people back to cigarettes to increase tax revenue and the whole thing is leading up to a federal tax, using health concerns as an excuse and of course that will, like cigarette taxes, impact the poor the most. If not we would be seeing hearings on simply making nicotine products illegal and ending this.

The states, local city governments and the feds are addicted to the tax revenue and any way they can find to squeeze more taxes from the working poor is a good thing to them. Property taxes, cigarette taxes, fuel taxes and like are how they get money out of the working poor and always have.

Taxes targeted at the poor have no meaning to those with money. I expect they will impose regulation and a federal tax within the next few years and continue to deny things like transplants to smokers, even though all the taxation was supposedly to pay for smokers extra health care needs. We all know those taxes never went to where they were intended, just like the tobacco company settlement money never went to where it was intended.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join