It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton sleeps on floor so elder Bush can have bed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well I have to say it, Clinton had some class although I bet the elder Bush really did appreciate it...

Thanks for showing a good side Bill

Clinton sleeps on floor so elder Bush can have bed

NEW YORK (AP) -- On their tour of tsunami damage in Southeast Asia, former President Bill Clinton once allowed his predecessor, former President George H.W. Bush, to sleep on the plane's only bed while he stretched out on the floor.

The government plane in which the presidents toured the disaster area had one large bedroom and another room with tables and seats, according to an interview with Bush in this week's Newsweek.

Bush, 80, said Clinton offered ahead of time to give the older former president the bedroom so he could lie flat and avoid paining his body. Clinton, 58, decided to play cards in the other room that night.

The next morning, Bush said he peeked in and saw Clinton sound asleep on the plane's floor.

"We could have switched places, each getting half a night on the bed, but he deferred to me. That was a very courteous thing, very thoughtful, and that meant a great deal to me," Bush said.

Bush said he and Clinton are not close, but have been compatible on the tour, partly because Clinton respects his age.

The March 14 issue of Newsweek hits newsstands Monday.

LINK

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Very true, deference to age and altruism are noble qualities.

Unlike the time socially retarded son George jr tried to barge past Clinton to be first in at the library opening, against established protocol.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well I tried my best to be nice to Clinton, I thought he did the noble thing.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
He is doing nice things now for those who need relief. I sorry for being a pessimist but i can not help wondering why?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest
He is doing nice things now for those who need relief. I sorry for being a pessimist but i can not help wondering why?

DUH! His wife wants to be President.......as Homer would say DOH!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In all honesty, I believe Clinton simply commited a courteous action, regardless of partisan politics. I would'nt think twice about gving my bed for an elder statesman or otherwise, regardless of their actions in office. Its nice to know that two ex-presidents have gotten together to promote awareness and support regarding a very serious disaster. Good on Clinton for giving up his bed for the Senior Bush, and good on them both for going ahead to the disaster area.
BTW, For the cynics out there, I believe this is beyond 'the legacy effect', its simple compassion, regardless how greasy both acted as presidents, besides, it was their advisors that set the standard for policy.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And you may be right, I dunno.......but I wonder.....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'd like to think Clinton did this out of the goodness of his heart. But knowing Clinton, he was probably sharing the floor with a flight attendent.

But seriously thumbs up
to Slick Willie

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Good on him

It seems the right thing to do, and I hope most people would do the same.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good for Clinton to do that, but the trip was kind of stupid (as is sleeping on the floor) with heart scar tissue and fluid in your chest.

More surgery this week.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yeah I saw that today and thought the same thing, I mean Bush was skydiving last year....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Yeah I saw that today and thought the same thing, I mean Bush was skydiving last year....

My dad's taking my skydiving for my 18th birthday!

I do think it was a generous thing of Clinton though. This just goes to show you that just because you don't like someone's politics doesn't mean that you have to dislike them as a person.

Good job Clinton.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
What's the alternative? "Clinton sleeps in only bed, forcing Bush Snr to sleep on the floor". This isn't really newsworthy.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well Apparently it was, and now with Clinton back under the knife, it is more so...

top topics

join