It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it a thread can receive negative flags now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Most brilliant post ever, getting flags from all the people that are curious if it works or not.

You got one from me, and yes I was able to take it away (but I gave it back)
I think it is used if someone hits it on accident.

link   

It certainly isn't staff, as has been claimed repeatedly. We don't have the slightest control over flags or stars.

link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: IAMTAT

Link

And it's happening to this one as well. I've seen two flags vanish as I'm sitting here.

That would be me lol. Just wanted to try it.

I am guessing it has to be done to a thread with zero flags? I just tapped this one til I got a fail...it didn't seem to remove my original flag but when I tapped it again it added another. Did I just double flag?

Tried the same thing.
Glitch makes sense.
I've seen quite a few of those here over the years.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
People can take flags back

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

But it still won't make a thread have negative flags. If everyone takes their flag back the lowest it can go is zero..

But it may be a glitch. Unless someone is hacking ATS to manipulate stats on threads..

This is a conspiracy site.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Let's test that.
Everyone take back your flag.
(I'll put mine back after the test, OP.)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I don't care about how many flags and stars I have. I only use ATS on my phone, so I haven't even looked at my flag and star count in over a year. What would bother me about this (if this isn't a glitch) is that negative flags and stars can be used by online gangs to brigade topics. This is a common tactic of online trolls and bad actors. Paid and otherwise.

That's one reason I like ATS, because the way it's set up doesn't make that possible. So it's more of a free marketplace of ideas instead of just some place that can be brigaded and turned into an echo chamber.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I agree.
Let's hope it was just a glitch...as the Mod said.
Believe me...there are still some strange ones still active on ATS.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I am guessing it was a glitch. I found a thread with zero flags but was unable to get it to go negative. Wide eyes above confessed that it occurred when he fail tapped the thread in question. I do not see this being hack worthy. Unless Wide Eyes confesses that he is a spurious hacker then this is a non-issue over all and not a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

You may be right. But I can't help being conspiracy minded.

You never know...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well you, spacedoubt, jbird and ahabstar are the only moderators currently online. Give a flag/take a flag...the balance will always be zero.

A glitch?
good one...

I think the people have a right to see the secret server where all moderator activity is stored!

Drain the swamp!!!

Peace

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Best (freakiest) glitch I've ever come across was the one that triggers a creepy 'Halloween' quote from Orson Wells.
I can't remember how I triggered it...it was years ago.

There's another that puts everyone's type into italics.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Best (freakiest) glitch I've ever come across was the one that triggers a creepy 'Halloween' quote from Orson Wells.
I can't remember how I triggered it...it was years ago.

There's another that puts everyone's type into italics.

They removed or lessened (hide) negative feedback when it became bad for advertising.
Now everyone's always right all the time! The internet.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Staff has no control over the flags. If a member gives a flag they can then remove said flag again. It's a simple glitch, nothing more.

Why does that not return to zero then?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hm strange.

I messed up a bit by giving a flag and then taking it away the same second because the homepage was not responsive.

Then I tried to give it a third click to right my wrong, I really thought that thread deserves a flag.

The other threads would not load so I gave up.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Because it's a glitch. Most likely someone clicked multiple times and the system registered it as multiple removals of flags for some reason.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
See my message above

It was a different thread but now that you say it I feel guilty somehow.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Would a the possibility of a negative flag balance, make a subject more accurately reflect the sentiments of ATS members?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: smurfy

Because it's a glitch. Most likely someone clicked multiple times and the system registered it as multiple removals of flags for some reason.

That's not so good then, if anyyone can do that.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
Mathematically speaking, yes.

But there is a factor to consider. See reviews of products by the normal day buyer. The chances are higher for someone to come back and give a negative review because they have a bad day with the product.

Those who use it everyday without problems will not go out of their way and say like "Hey, I think this one deserves a good review".

We say here "Getting no complains is praise enough". I know this system here is a bit different. My conclusion is, yes it would be better but then the statistical ranking would need be changed to take the meridian into account.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join