It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local violent crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hello everyone, I just have a general question regarding local crime. I'm my area, Phenix City, AL / Columbus, GA there has been a huge spike in seemingly unrelated gun violence with an average of two shootings a day between then two cities.

Most recently as of last night two people killed in one City and another shot in the other, one of the incidents less than ten minutes from my house.

We have had our fair share of violence but not daily for two weeks. Columbus is jokingly referred to as Killumbus on Facebook, it just seems the town is working extra hard lately to earn that name.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar where they live? I can't scratch the feeling like something is causing this, but I suppose that could just be a natural human reaction to such things.

Oh, I also wasn't sure where to put this thread so I just plopped it general, to me it seemed the most fitting.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

Nothing out of the ordinary here in north east indiana.
But we are not exactly riddled with violent crimes here anyways.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm glad the first response wasn't a "yeah here too". a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

Nearest big city to us is San Antonio and my observation has been a slight uptik in violent crime, but not massive. Home invasions are up as are gang related killings. 5 years ago, SA had about one murder every other day or so. Now, its at about 1 murder per day. Yea, some days there is no murder but then followed by a day with 2 murders or killings of burglars and such

There is probably one major reason for this; migrants are dumped into SA by Border Patrol and then they are dispatched out of SA to favored destinations with relatives. This is all compounded by huge amount of people trafficking running through and out of SA, usually women and young girls along the intersecting interstate highways.

Another problem is that it seems each year at this time the Texas Prison system paroles a lot of people back into society. Many of the poor buggers really just want to go back home to prison so they re-offend to get back.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yup, crime spikes are happening in Minneapolis which is a few hours drive from me. I can tell you the color of violent crime, and it is black.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Violent crime in the UK is absolutely skyrocketing thanks to police cuts and a general lack of empathy shown by youth.

Youth crime is rising so fast that the statistics almost.look made up!

We had a bloke, yesterday, stabbed in a job centre, he was the security. Stabbed by a 17 year old lad in the back. I live in a very low crime area, apparently, yet can see crime happening every day.

Every night we sleep with the sound.of.sirens and wailing. I live in a quiet village south of Liverpool. If it's bad here, what's it like there!?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
Violent crime in the UK is absolutely skyrocketing thanks to police cuts and a general lack of empathy shown by youth.

Youth crime is rising so fast that the statistics almost.look made up!

We had a bloke, yesterday, stabbed in a job centre, he was the security. Stabbed by a 17 year old lad in the back. I live in a very low crime area, apparently, yet can see crime happening every day.

Every night we sleep with the sound.of.sirens and wailing. I live in a quiet village south of Liverpool. If it's bad here, what's it like there!?

We hear sirens all the time, last night as I got home from work the sirens were so loud and it sounded like there were so many that I couldn't fathom what was going on. a lot of it is not crime-related though, the drivers in this town are terrible and there are constant wrecks. All the way I believe what I heard last night was a response to the shooting that was close to my house.

I live right in the city maybe a five-minute walk from the Chattahoochee Riverwalk. I just don't know what to think anymore, the violence in this area has always been a little bad but this is off the charts for us.

I don't see much of anything changing here that in my opinion would cause the increase in violence other than the change of the seasons, it usually gets worse as it gets closer to Christmas but even then it's usually burglaries and robberies, not straight up murder.

I have not seen a change in immigration in our area, I work at a few apartment complexes and I know we have a lot of Indians Chinese and some people from some of the African countries, it's been that way for a long time here though.

I will say that some of it is drug-related according to the news, maybe that's the change I'm not seeing since I'm not involved in that lifestyle. Maybe there's more drugs coming into our area? I know they just busted someone with quite a bit of meth and two pistols on him.

BTW I'm not good at replying to multiple people at once, I haven't figured out how to do that on mobile.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I live in Illinois. UP the hill from East St Louis and across the river from St Louis, murder capital of the US. The only reason my little slice of heaven isnt the wild wild west is because I guess the criminal element knows we are mostly all Mil or contractor or former mil here.. and we can shoot. Uptick?? Yeah, a steady one in the Metro area since I moved here about a decade ago.

3 factors in our inability to move to another state which we want to: We needed to stay close to the best hospitals for my middle daughter who has since passed away, our home is a historic home and we need to wait for the values to get somewhat better since we sunk so much money in it, and the husband is tied to the DoD... forever I think. Otherwise Id have fled this area long ago.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
I live in Illinois. UP the hill from East St Louis and across the river from St Louis, murder capital of the US. The only reason my little slice of heaven isnt the wild wild west is because I guess the criminal element knows we are mostly all Mil or contractor or former mil here.. and we can shoot. Uptick?? Yeah, a steady one in the Metro area since I moved here about a decade ago.

3 factors in our inability to move to another state which we want to: We needed to stay close to the best hospitals for my middle daughter who has since passed away, our home is a historic home and we need to wait for the values to get somewhat better since we sunk so much money in it, and the husband is tied to the DoD... forever I think. Otherwise Id have fled this area long ago.

What I find odd isn't even the uptick, I expect a little bit of an increase every year as population density increases. You increase the number of people in an area you're going to increase the number of both good and bad people. For the sake of argument if you have a hundred people and on average 10% of those people are evil you'll only have 10 bad people. You increase that number to a million and well you see where I'm going. I know it's not as cut-and-dry as that but that's always been my train of thought. What's weird is it seems to be a sudden increase. We went from the usual once or twice a week to at least one, sometimes two a day.

top topics

join