It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Is This Coin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,

I was looking through coins that my Great Grandmother gave me when she passed away in 1999. I found about 6 strange coins that looked like the image below. They all have various dates, but i scanned the front & back of the one from 1887 because it was the shiniest. Does anyone know the value of the two oldest ones (1884 & 1887)?

One of the coins:

Thanks for your help!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They appear to be Morgan Liberty Head silver dollars. For more info, see the link below:

lynncoins.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, Pisky... However, what do the various letter and such (MS64, MS63, -O, etc) stand for and how can I tell which coin is which?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The coins are called Morgan Silver Dollars.

The value of the coin is not so much in dollars, but could be if you save it and give it to your great grandchildren. The value is in the thought and memories that you cherish.

I have several that my father collected, and I will never sell them! Ever. Even under dire circumstances. I will pass them down to my grandchildren one day (good lord willing).

The price can range from $12.00 to $1000.00 and up depending on the condition, and how many were minted that year and location. But the high dollar ones are usually the ones with the mint stamp cc for Carson City.

Here is a link that you should probably read to get you started. There are many sites that sell these coins including ebay. One of the easiest ways to find out for sure is to take them to your local coin shop for an estimate.

The 1878-1921 Morgan Silver Dollar- An American Classic

www.kcshop.com...

top topics

join