It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VMFA-323 at Moffett for NFL game flyover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Pretty cool. VMFA-323 out of Miramar MCAS flew into Moffett field today to perform a flyover at Levi's stadium. What interesting is that they are flying C models which given recent headlines this may be one of their last few public displays before the retire them. They took off from 14 R/L 2 each toa runway. They came with 5 but one started up but never moved so it may have had an issue. I had to hustle on my bike to catch them landing but made it.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The return

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They usually only use four for a flyover so the fifth was probably a spare that started and waited while they went through EOR and launch.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They usually only use four for a flyover so the fifth was probably a spare that started and waited while they went through EOR and launch.

Cool. How do they pick the unit? They usually come up from lemoore

And why the dissimilar external fuel tank? wont it make it harder to trim out the aircraft? I get why they need them what with its horrible fuel fraction but......
edit on 10/7/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

It's not an easy process to get a flyover. You can pick the unit, or if the squadron commander sees the request they can contact whoever requested it to try to get their squadron to fly it.

I don't know why they fly that configuration. The Hornet is the only one I've seen that does that. Usually they fly with one under each wing to balance the aircraft.
edit on 10/7/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was stationed there for a couple weeks before I got out. They moved us from El Toro to Miramar. I was in an F/A-18 unit. Black Knights. The unit used in Independence Day. I got to meet Will Smith. Nice guy.

Always wondered what happened to El Toro. Assumed they turned it into residential housing. Not familiar with these birds.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Although I have never thought the F-18 to be a "pretty" bird it does have its elegance. Very under rated fighter in so many regards.

I mean the USN has bought into it tooth and nail so it must definitely do many things right.

I am wondering on a aerobatic scale, does the F-18 with the blue angels make more of a show than the F-16's with the thunderbirds? I have only seen the BLue Angels perform.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Not really. The Viper is more nimble, but the Hornet can reach a higher AoA and has slightly better nose pointing. Both make for an interesting show.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Although I have never thought the F-18 to be a "pretty" bird it does have its elegance. Very under rated fighter in so many regards.

I mean the USN has bought into it tooth and nail so it must definitely do many things right.

I am wondering on a aerobatic scale, does the F-18 with the blue angels make more of a show than the F-16's with the thunderbirds? I have only seen the BLue Angels perform.

Blue Angels are phased out F/A-18's. Structurally not capable of carrier landings anymore. Slap some paint on them and great for air shows.

F/A-18's are nuclear capable. They can also be controlled remotely. This is what I know from the mid 90's. I was an operations clerk and that's what a pilot told me.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyinHeadlock

Almost all of our tactical air is nuclear capable.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Not really. The Viper is more nimble, but the Hornet can reach a higher AoA and has slightly better nose pointing. Both make for an interesting show.

Yeah, just looking at the F-16 it seems that it can turn and burn a little better. Not that matters to engagements so much these days, but probably better at the airshow.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock

originally posted by: Fools

Blue Angels are phased out F/A-18's. Structurally not capable of carrier landings anymore. Slap some paint on them and great for air shows.

F/A-18's are nuclear capable. They can also be controlled remotely. This is what I know from the mid 90's. I was an operations clerk and that's what a pilot told me.

I think they are phasing into F-18E's though -- correct? Same bird sort of.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Physically the E/F is about a third again larger. There's some commonality, but not a lot. They'll fly an abbreviated season next year, and start the 2021 season late, flying E/F model Super Hornets.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Physically the E/F is about a third again larger. There's some commonality, but not a lot. They'll fly an abbreviated season next year, and start the 2021 season late, flying E/F model Super Hornets.

I get to see one here and there as they come off at Lambert. Odd thing is occasionally they come out of Spirit. Always wondered about that.

Looks like I will be seeing some t-7 Redhawks soon(ish) as well.

Haven't seen any brand new F-15's in a bit, but I think they were always flying east lately - which is why I wouldn't see them.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

True. But when I was told this in the early 90's it blew me away. That was many moons ago.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   

A batch just went through the UK last week or so heading to Saudi Arabia. They're the only current customer taking deliveries. The AF expects the first test EXs next year, and Qatar will get their first six QAs in 2021, but there aren't many Eagles coming off the line right now.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

A batch just went through the UK last week or so heading to Saudi Arabia. They're the only current customer taking deliveries. The AF expects the first test EXs next year, and Qatar will get their first six QAs in 2021, but there aren't many Eagles coming off the line right now.

Did I ever tell you my pop was a MD guy? Worked as QA manager for f-4's, then f-15's, then f-18's before the good lord took him. I have alot of neat memorabilia.

I have always thought it a shame that Boeing doesn't have a big museum here for all the wonderful aircraft that have been built here.

I guess that is because before they became "global" Sandy and family were really low key executives.

One of my fondest memories was when I was I think 8 years old my dad took me and my cub scout troop to check out the line. We were all just freaking out as kids looking at the birds. I doubt that happens anymore.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Testing something out.. bare with me.

These photos are superbly awesome. Thanks for sharing

I envy you working where you do...😊

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Ahhh yaawwwn... how'd the 49'rs do.... ho hum Cleveland 🙄

new topics

top topics