It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Above Top Secret: Last flight of Big Bird

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
www.thespacereview.com...

Above Top Secret: the last flight of the Big Bird

The HEXAGON had a powerful dual camera system also known as the KH-9 and capable of imaging almost the entire Soviet landmass in a single mission. Because of that, the 20th and last HEXAGON spacecraft, scheduled for launch in spring 1986, became very important to many members of the intelligence community.

Had read about Hexagon program's 20 Keyhole-9 or Big Bird spy sats being declas years ago but didn't know there was released footage sitting up on YT for so long. Only 1 vid left, though, and they removed 30 of the 37 minutes!

What have they redacted? And why does it look like it's just Hubble pointed in the opposite direction?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

Had read about Hexagon program's 20 Keyhole-9 or Big Bird spy sats being declas years ago but didn't know there was released footage sitting up on YT for so long. Only 1 vid left, though, and they removed 30 of the 37 minutes!

What have they redacted? And why does it look like it's just Hubble pointed in the opposite direction?

What have "they" redacted?

You're kidding, right?

Anything deemed to still be of a classified nature was redacted.

I know a little about that program. I worked as an independent IT contractor for the NRO in Chantilly, VA for 5 years and although I hadn't worked directly on anything related to this program, all of the programs "spill over" and feed into each other where the data/info can be useful, so I'm aware of the program in more than a passing manner.

As far as Hubble's telescope direction, that's controlled by a different "union" so I don't have detailed info on why it was at that moment in time. What I can say is that all of our sats perform "double duty" if and when it makes sense.

And even though it isn't talked about, I figured most people assumed that fact anyway. Maybe I'm wrong...

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

Why does it resemble Hubble just pointed in the "wrong direction". Exactly what would you expect a camera capable of taking a picture of the entire Russian landmass in a single pass to look like ? Especially when said camera is orbiting the earth. An amazing piece of technology, I am sure. Perhaps someday we will have an opportunity to view what must be some amazing shots

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
And I thought this was about Sesame Street.
Out of here

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The camera technology being developed then was remarkable - iirc the Hexagon camera went on to be used in the Apollo missions as the Panoramic Camera, and he level of detail in those images is amazing.

This article

www.space.com...

mentions that the Hubble telescope shared a designer with the Keyhole series.

new topics

top topics

join