It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting a Hemp Farm!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Maybe soon. I'll keep you posted.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I have done plenty of research into marketing the product. New technology in processing the biomass for industrial usage is almost assured.

Corporate investment into processing is happening. CBD is just a small part of the total package.

www.phase2extraction.com...

We're going to be rich, rich I tell ya!!! Weed Barons...

I'm still hesitant to bail completely on cotton and onions. I'll start with a few acres first and see how it goes.
edit on 7-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's really interesting. We're buying all the extraction equipment ourselves and building a facility for it on site. We've also floated the idea of offering extraction services and cannabinoid testing for other local growers as well.

Extraction service is a big industry unto itself. Not every hemp grow has the equipment or an on site botanist with years of extraction experience like we do. I'm sure that's something we'll eventually do on the side as well.

Thanks for the link. Assigning a QR code to each persons crop is a great idea.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

We're going to be rich, rich I tell ya!!! Weed Barons...

Haha I hope so. If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
as they say " theres always one ............ "

but hey - hear is my opinion

like all " emergent markets " - some people will do well - others will fail badly

its my opinion - that the folks that fare " best " as a group are those that side-step into the " service side " of the industry in question

in this case - instead of growing hemp :

launch yourself and your botanist as a independant refiner - processing the hemp that others grow into oil - and shipping it back to them

as always YMMV

but as the OP states - the oil " press " costs 10k each - with JUST the output from your own acerage - what sort of duty cycle will the press be running at [ in simple terms - how many hours // week will it be in use ? ]

if you can " sell yourself as independant experts - to all the other growers - and run your machnes at 80 % DC - 7 days a week - with 2 shifts

you will be a far more efficient - and profitable refinery than any grower // refiner can hoe to be

some growers will make far bigger profits than you - but a lot more will fail .

" service industries " - are a safer entry into these kind of markets - you wont reap the millions that the furtunate and bold do - but your chance of sucess and healthy profit are greater

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Apparently the stalks are ground up for the CBD extraction process, which would chop the fibers up, making them useless for textiles and rope. But there may be other uses for the remains of the plant after CBD extraction is completed, as olaru stated.

How CBD oil is made
edit on b000000312019-10-07T12:39:46-05:0012America/ChicagoMon, 07 Oct 2019 12:39:46 -05001200000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Very good points. Depending on how things go we might have more business from the refining aspect than from our hemp products. That's definitely something we're going to offer as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

" service industries " - are a safer entry into these kind of markets - you wont reap the millions that the furtunate and bold do - but your chance of sucess and healthy profit are greater

I have been considering a brokerage side hack. Not much investment and yugggeeee potential ...commodity placement will be vital... Thanks for your input.

edit on 7-10-2019 by olaru12 because: semi colon time....

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I have been considering a brokerage side hack. Not much investment and yugggeeee potential ...commodity marketplace placement. Thanks for your input.

It kind of reminds me of what took place back during the original gold rush in the 1800s. The people who got rich weren't the ones who went out prospecting for gold, they were the people who sold them supplies..

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: olaru12

I have been considering a brokerage side hack. Not much investment and yugggeeee potential ...commodity marketplace placement. Thanks for your input.

It kind of reminds me of what took place back during the original gold rush in the 1800s. The people who got rich weren't the ones who went out prospecting for gold, they were the people who sold them supplies..

I had a neighbor that was an absolute gifted photographer. She didn't make much on her photography, but she did on make a fortune teaching it! Once you get into the swing of things, you could do tours and teach. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested!
edit on 7-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Good luck on your adventure!

There's been some great advice in this thread, please keep us posted!

If we can manage it here, it's pretty much possible anywhere there's a will 🙂 💚

🍻

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

It's in bubble territory. Doomed to suffer the fate of cheaper alternatives.

I'd suggest finding a solid customer base that you can tailor to.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Right on!

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Congrats . Sounds like a fun endeavor.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As others have said, start planning and researching now.
Biggest things:
How are you going to plant,
How are you going to deal with weeds,
How are you going to harvest,
How are you going to process the flower before extraction?
All of these things need to be answered. Answering them before you start will save you a massive headache, take it from me lol.

Some tips:

Manual labor is expensive and it takes A LOT of hours and effort to do all of the above with labor instead of machines.
Machines are very expensive Up front but pay themselves off in the long run. Also, they can break, so if you don’t have a backup you can be devastated by broken equipment.

Find healthy clones!

If going organic, you will most likely have to use man power to weed. Remember, it is a constant battle. You want to manage your weeds so your crop out competes them, do not try to eradicate them because you won’t lol.
Deer aren’t too much of an issue , they won’t eat it just may rub their antlers on the plants.
Rodents will be an issue.

You will need a LARGE space to hang dry all of your plants. It is doable but needs to be built ASAP after planting and not procrastinated on.
Alternatively you can get automated drying and/or bucking machines. Expensive, but they can be rented. These will drastically reduce space and time needed to process your dry flower, may lower the CBD a bit.

You can dry it in the field if it comes down to it. However there is a large chance of mold in a humid climate , and it will reduce the quality.

Make sure it is dry before you store it and store in a cool dry place to reduce chances of mold.

Some people are using French tobacco harvesters and they work well. Hemp will gum up a combine!

There are a ton of farmers in Colorado that are absolutely screwed right now because they did not shore up their harvest and drying/processing process. It is going to get down in the 20s for three days this week so anyone with material or plants still in the field will lose them.

Find As many connections as you can that are doing this already and get advice from them, as this is infinitely more valuable than limited internet info. Also beware of ppl who are full of it!

Finally, hope for the best , plan for the worst. Some people are getting away with 20-30k investments while others are putting millions into their farms.
It will be more expensive than you plan for and more work than you think.

Good luck!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Another thing I forgot to mention.
What are you doing for water and how are you going to water?
Do you have water rights with the land? Is your water source acceptable for watering a farm? Both legally and quality wise. Water in Colorado is a fiasco, may be easier there. Get your water and soil tested for contaminants!
PH of water and soil can be buffered with lots of organic matter and a quality soil filled with microbes. However, crappy soil and a very high or low pH In soil and/or water is bad and will need to be dealt with.

Flood irrigation is a lot of work but cheap, it will increase your weeds tenfold! You will need ditches, furrowed rows, and the knowledge of how water flows on the land for flood irrigation.
Drip irrigation is great but expensive to set up.
Same with a pivot but way more expensive.
Consider plastic mulch for weed suppression and moisture retainment.

Plastic mulch plus drip Irrigation is a great setup!
Also don’t overwater with flood if you use it, you can drown plants!

Also think about how you want to work your soil. You will probably need a tractor with a tiller and/or discs. Plus a plastic stretcher if you go that route.
FYI
This is all stuff to get you thinking, I am giving you the basic ideas, you will need to research further on everything I’m talking about.
Again, best of luck!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

Thanks for all the tips! Yes I have water rights and the land has county water ran to it already but there is also a creek that's directly on the side of the property that's included on the land. I'm definitely going to test it to see if it's usable.

Great things to think about. Thanks again!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Over saturation of product cometh, the fad of hemp will soon result in unsold crops as many flock to the easy money of a cash crop, get in whilst you can, get out once over saturation occurs.
edit on 8-10-2019 by Joefoster because: Word spellin

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Joefoster

But switching from CBD production to THC production would be a small step in guaranteeing a market if THC is legal in Tennessee.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

That's the plan. I want to be in a position where I can switch it over once medical becomes legal. It'll be a while before recreational is legal down here in the bible belt but medical is something everyone is starting to warm up to. I'm hoping within the next 5 years or so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join