It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting a Hemp Farm!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: underwerks

excellent on full spectrum. there are heirloom european varieties that you wont have to remove thc.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. If you have any other advice, do's don'ts etc I'll be more than happy to listen. I'm really in the learning stage right now and I need all the information I can get.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You might want to consider this way of doing it:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's really cool. It's like growing in a giant clean room so no need for pesticides or herbicides. Maybe if we make enough money we could eventually transition to something like that.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: JON666
May I ask why is CBD's so expensive?

It costs a lot to produce right now. The extractor is around $10,000 and you really need a botanist or someone already experienced to run it if you want to have a proper full spectrum extract. Then you have the land, growing it, paying the people who work there etc.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this as I'm just starting out but those are some things that come to mind. Who knows, some of these hemp groups may have price controls set for some of the products. I'm sure I'll find that out soon if that's the case.

When you say hemp you mean the type they made rope out of? Not they type you smoke.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Congratulations! Good for you!

I have a friend that has had a hemp farm for a few years.
I was approached in the early days as I am a very experienced grower.
At the time I declined because I didn't want to get involved with all the legal mess.
It's nice to see a lot of that is clearing up.

I'll give you some tips. Remember the nature of the plant you are growing. Hemp is a weed. Weeds like neglect.
At one time Wisconsin was the hemp capital of the world. Our climate is harsh, but our lands are fertile.
We still have hemp that grows in ditches and the sides of the road.

People make the same mistake growing garlic. They plant at the wrong time and fuss way too much over the plant.
My bulbs are at least 50% bigger than the "professionals" growers here. Now I just gave you another tip. Garlic and hemp are friends. Friends like to be close to each other

The other thing about growing. Some years are just bad years. This year was horrible for some plants and unbelievable for others. This was the kind of year that would break farmers 100 years ago.

Seriously, good luck to you. You are in for a lot of hard work but a lot of reward too if you keep it up!

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

May I ask why is CBD's so expensive?

It costs a lot to produce right now. The extractor is around $10,000 and you really need a botanist or someone already experienced to run it if you want to have a proper full spectrum extract. Then you have the land, growing it, paying the people who work there etc.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this as I'm just starting out but those are some things that come to mind. Who knows, some of these hemp groups may have price controls set for some of the products. I'm sure I'll find that out soon if that's the case.

When you say hemp you mean the type they made rope out of? Not they type you smoke.

No, you can smoke it as well. Though by law it can only contain under something like 0.3 THC (I think that's what it is here in Tennessee). While it contains 13-14% CBD. The flower (bud) is selling pretty well around here. You see it in the gas stations and the hemp dispensaries are selling a lot as well.

A lot of it looks just like regular cannabis. I've bought some from a local gas station that I'm pretty sure wasnt hemp though.. So I think some people might be doing something a little shady. Lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I breezed through and didn't see it mentioned.... Will you be able to sell any of the fiber after CBD processing?
Could be another source of revenue to speed up recovery of your investment.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to getting this all going and I actually enjoy the hard work involved. Now I have something to do besides argue about politics all day. Lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I breezed through and didn't see it mentioned.... Will you be able to sell any of the fiber after CBD processing?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure the plant material will be useless after extraction but that's definitely something I need to look into. That's a good idea.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

How expensive is hemp seed? I'm asking, because one of our farmers up here, put in a hemp field this year.

I've seen for around 1K an acre.
That's pretty expensive for seeds, but not sure how he got 1mil. Unless he is talking about labor too.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to getting this all going and I actually enjoy the hard work involved. Now I have something to do besides argue about politics all day. Lol.

The other thing you'll really have to concentrate on is rodent control. Seriously, maybe barn cats, owls, etc. Start thinking about it now.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The other thing you'll really have to concentrate on is rodent control. Seriously, maybe barn cats, owls, etc. Start thinking about it now.

That's true. There are a lot of deer, I mean A LOT of deer that walk through this land. I've seen about 10-12 at one time back at the end of winter. So that's definitely something that has to be taken into consideration. Hopefully (and this is what I'm shooting for) we'll have giant greenhouses and do it all inside. But that remains to be seen.

We still have to hash out all the details between now and spring.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That's true. There are a lot of deer, I mean A LOT of deer that walk through this land. I've seen about 10-12 at one time back at the end of winter. So that's definitely something that has to be taken into consideration. Hopefully (and this is what I'm shooting for) we'll have giant greenhouses and do it all inside. But that remains to be seen. We still have to hash out all the details between now and spring.

There is a natural fertilizer called milorganite, it is the best deer deterrent out there. I also use Irish Spring soap. Some people say it doesn't work, but i've been using it for 20+ years and i'm telling you, deer hate it.

I can't imagine growing all the hemp indoors (at least enough to make a profit).

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Yeah its going to be a really big thing. I'm talking about some huge greenhouses. But we'll see how things turn out. There's still a lot we have to work out between now and spring.

Thanks for the advice on the deer deterrent.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I don't know. I'm pretty sure the plant material will be useless after extraction but that's definitely something I need to look into. That's a good idea.

The industry is expanding daily into paper, cordage and thread, cattle feed, even plastics and bio fuel. That is my current investment interest. The new dotcom.

www.forbes.com... 01d
edit on 7-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hey awesome man.

Some of the topicals here fetch a pretty penny.

Got some friends doing it in other states, stay with it man.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

The industry is expanding daily into paper, cordage and thread, cattle feed, even plastics and bio fuel. That is my current investment interest. The new dotcom.

www.forbes.com... 01d

Interesting. I'll definitely look into that!

ETA: that's a good article. Thanks.
edit on 7-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It would be wise to listen to what Bluetone is saying.

One of the points he was trying to make is that there is so much bad CBD oil being sold- a lot of people are selling "CBD oil" but it's got 0% CBD in it.

So, people are buying the fake stuff and assuming it doesn't work. You're going to have to fight against that. People will dismiss your oil because they've tried it before and it didn't work (because it wasn't CBD oil but they don't realize that).

Obviously it will be great that you will be selling the real thing, but you need to get real practical and factor in this fact.

Count the number of times you said "I haven't looked into that yet" or "I havent researched that yet" etc in this thread. You need to be saying "Here is the facts on that issue...." not "Yeah that's something to consider, haven't looked into to it yet."

Be smart and get to work studying now! If you want this to be successful, studying and becoming an expert on every angle is your job now, and take seriously and frankly acknowledge the barriers.

Best of luck! If you prepare and become an expert on everything in this and plan out ebery little thing you can, including anticipation of and ways to mitigate the obstacles, the only luck you will need is good weather.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Great advice. And that's what I'm doing right now. I just got the land yesterday. My botanist has a drone and some programs we're going to map out the land with. From now until spring it's just about learning and setting everything up correctly.

I love to learn, and I'm like a sponge when exposed to new information.

ETA: I have experience working on recreational and medical farms in Washington and Oregon so I'm not getting into this completely blind. It's not a huge step transferring that knowledge to hemp.
edit on 7-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Do you have any job vacancies?

Asking for a friend.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join