It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting a Hemp Farm!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's finally happening. I just bought some land in Tennessee and we're going to start as soon as spring is here. I lucked out, a friend of mine is a botanist that's overseeing several hemp and medical grows in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oregon. He's kind of a mad scientist when it comes to botany. And you need that. It's completely legal and we're going to turn it all into CBD oil.

If you have any extra land, this is a great idea. You can net around $100,000 an acre if you properly convert it all into CBD oil. The extractors are kind of expensive, around $10,000 and you need the proper knowledge of how to operate it, but it's doable. That's where the botanist comes in.

This industry is in its first stages pretty much everywhere, so now is the right time to get in. CBD oil is the big thing, but hemp flower is also selling really well around here as well. Almost every gas station sells it beside the register. I'm thinking about buying a greenhouse and tinkering around all winter in it depending on how cold the winter is down here. But we'll see. This is something I've been planning and fighting for for almost a year. And it's happening!

edit on 7-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Congrats! Exciting times ahead for you I think. Do you get agricultural tax rebates or other incentives like that as well? I believe that's how it works in many places (if your operation meets certain criteria - size and things like that)
edit on 7-10-2019 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Please call it Tegridy Farms.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Congrats! Exciting times ahead for you I think. Do you get agricultural tax rebates or other incentives like that as well? I believe that's how it works in many places (if your operation meets certain criteria - size and things like that)

Yes we do. I'm not sure of the actual amount or what we're going to qualify for yet. I just bought the land yesterday and I have a meeting with my botanist later this week to start hashing out all the details between him, me, and my other partner. I can't wait to get to work on everything.

Thanks!
edit on 7-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Please call it Tegridy Farms.

Haha I'll keep that in mind.

link   

I work in the field, as you may have seen. Congrats...try to get a contract before you put in your inputs, if possible. Raw material has a glut at the moment.

If you can process into broad spectrum (cbd,cbc,cbg,cbn...etc...) that would be optimal. Also consider using some material for terpenes and or flavonoids.

The fda will more than likely be regulating this year for topical and internal dosage, so do yourself a favor and join a hemp advocacy group.

link   

Congrats! How exciting!!!

I hope you'll update us on your progress as things move along. Hubby and I have been talking very seriously about doing the same thing, also focusing on CBD products.

Good luck and enjoy

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

If you can process into broad spectrum (cbd,cbc,cbg,cbn...etc...) that would be optimal. Also consider using some material for terpenes and or flavonoids.

The fda will more than likely be regulating this year for topical and internal dosage, so do yourself a favor and join a hemp advocacy group.

Full spectrum is what we're going for. Good idea about the advocacy group! I'll check around here and see what's around.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I'm also thinking about switching from cotton and onions to hemp on my Texas property now that it's legal.

www.texasagriculture.gov...

Processing is also a viable investment opportunity. I favor the fiber aspects ala hemp particle boards etc.

edit on 7-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Congrats! How exciting!!!

I hope you'll update us on your progress as things move along. Hubby and I have been talking very seriously about doing the same thing, also focusing on CBD products.

Good luck and enjoy

I will! Once it's going I'll post some pictures and bring you along on the journey.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I wish you the best of luck.
But I'm predicting a fall in CBD oil sales coming in the near future.
The stuff is great for some things but it's being sold like magic unicorn farts and when it doesn't fix people's issues the sales will drop.

One major issue is that the stuff is being sold everywhere now. Every gas station in my town has a sign in their window advertising CBD oil sold here!
The people selling it are clueless.
The people buying it are clueless.

Ask anyone in the holistic industry about what I'm talking about.
They will sell people a pure form of a nutrient and then when that's gone the customer will go to Walmart and buy "the same thing" for half the price..
Never mind that the Walmart variety is filler and other garbage...

I suggest you investigate a transition to selling the weed to smokers.
You might need to change directions.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I'm also thinking about switching from cotton and onions to hemp on my Texas property.

www.texasagriculture.gov...

It's a burgeoning industry and there's a lot of room to move up right now, at least where I am in Tennessee. CBD oil is insanely expensive right now around this area because there aren't a whole lot of big producers.

Hopefully we can change that.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
May I ask why is CBD's so expensive?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The stuff is great for some things but it's being sold like magic unicorn farts and when it doesn't fix people's issues the sales will drop.

One major issue is that the stuff is being sold everywhere now. Every gas station in my town has a sign in their window advertising CBD oil sold here!
The people selling it are clueless.
The people buying it are clueless.

That's true, but one thing to remember is that not all CBD oil is created equal. I'm not sure what's sold in gas stations even has that much in it.

I suggest you investigate a transition to selling the weed to smokers.
You might need to change directions.

Selling flower is definitely in our future. This first season we're concentrating on CBD oil, but next year we'll able to expand and have the room to grow some really nice flower. A main part of all this is being set up to capitalize on medical when it becomes legal down here. So while I love growing hemp and producing CBD oil, once the laws change we plan to make the switch to a purely medical operation.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
How expensive is hemp seed? I'm asking, because one of our farmers up here, put in a hemp field this year.

He claims he spend 1 million on seed. Not sure on the acreage.
I don't know how he planted, but his yield this year is terrible. 1 plant here, another 4 feet away.

Not sure if it was all the rain we had, during planting season.
Or that he isn't the brightest farmer in the neighborhood.

So congrats on you new endeavor, and may you do 100% better than our neighbor.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JON666
May I ask why is CBD's so expensive?

It costs a lot to produce right now. The extractor is around $10,000 and you really need a botanist or someone already experienced to run it if you want to have a proper full spectrum extract. Then you have the land, growing it, paying the people who work there etc.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this as I'm just starting out but those are some things that come to mind. Who knows, some of these hemp groups may have price controls set for some of the products. I'm sure I'll find that out soon if that's the case.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
How expensive is hemp seed? I'm asking, because one of our farmers up here, put in a hemp field this year.

He claims he spend 1 million on seed. Not sure on the acreage.
I don't know how he planted, but his yield this year is terrible. 1 plant here, another 4 feet away.

Not sure if it was all the rain we had, during planting season.
Or that he isn't the brightest farmer in the neighborhood.

So congrats on you new endeavor, and may you do 100% better than our neighbor.

That sucks, best of luck to your friend. We're actually using clones, so no males or seeds. The only thing we have to worry about is cross pollination from some other hemp grow. And hopefully we can keep that to a minimum.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That was pretty much my point.
Customers don't do their research and have no clue what they are buying.
When the garbage they buy doesn't work the customer decides CBD doesn't work either.
It doesn't help that the stuff is being pushed to cure pretty much everything.

And keep in mind it might not be legal for much longer.
The vape people are sweating bullets right now.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

excellent on full spectrum. there are heirloom european varieties that you wont have to remove thc.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That was pretty much my point.
Customers don't do their research and have no clue what they are buying.
When the garbage they buy doesn't work the customer decides CBD doesn't work either.
It doesn't help that the stuff is being pushed to cure pretty much everything.

And keep in mind it might not be legal for much longer.
The vape people are sweating bullets right now.

Those are the risks we take starting a business. The oil we're going to make isn't for vaping, it's sublingual and we're going to make topical oils as well. And we'll also move to flower next season. I'd be wary of gas station CBD oil just because some of those vendors aren't known to be trustworthy.

It really does help some people. There's a guy that owns a ice cream shop near where I live that had terrible arthritis, to the point where he could barely use his hands. He started using some CBD cream on his hands, and it's like he doesn't even have arthritis anymore. I know that's just anecdotal, but I've seen it really help people. In my experience it's kind of hit or miss. Some people don't get anything from it, while others it helps dramatically. It may come down to individual differences in our endocannabinoid system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join