It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sphinx controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I wasn't aware there was much against the water erosion idea... Do you have any sources for it? I'd be curious to read it....thanks!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This may help or add some light to the subject.

www.watcherwebsite.com...

The sphinx clearly has been altered by the Eygptians. It may have had a half man and half lion face. This may also be the case with the face on Mars.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Not necessarily evidence against water erosion, just that the evidence itself isn't very strong. Consider what is being suggested too, a moderately advanced civilization, but one that has left no 'real' evidence outside of the possible rain water erosion.

Also, and this is hardly good, but I am incredibly sceptical of Anthony West, whom the original proposer of the rainwater erosion theory is associated with. I am not wary of Schoch, but his association with west gives pause.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
All this talk of the sphinx being much older... fine. Maybe. Maybe not, Why wont carbon testing work? Geologist live and die by carbon testing these days. But somehow this wont work for the Sphinx? Why not?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Carbon testing is reliable for lifeforms...not so for constructs usually...as I understand it...

Is it really that uncommon for ancient civilizations to put a lot of time and work into a religiously significant statue, and yet live in very temporary structures around it... (or not even live there at all)?

The desert can cover an awful lot. Heck, most of the Sphinx itself was covered even fairly recently (relatively speaking)... Maybe if we dig somewhat near it where we haven't, we'll unearth just such an example of an older civilization?

I don't think it really took an awful lot of advancement to build the Sphinx, just a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears....

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
Why wont carbon testing work?

Carbon dating is used on living things, and even then they have to already be of a certain age range for it to work.

Geologist live and die by carbon testing these days.

No they don't. Certainly not carbon dating. Even Radioisotopic dating isn't something that can allways be used, simply because its expensive and uncessary.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
One of my friends said that they found a chamber in the right(?) Paw of the Sphinx - back about '96 and they said that they would check it out later on.

I haven't been able to find anything about it, has anyone heard anything?

Thx..

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
ok..this is what i heard a few yrs ago,plus in the paper..a doctor of somekind from the us?searched for the chamber under the sphinx.that edgar cayce seen in vision..i heard they did find something and the egyptian goverment kicked the doctor out and hushed everything up..

anyone know anything about this//also i can not find it again..but in the late 1800s early 1900'a man found a tunnel in the grand canyon which opened up into many rooms...and there was egyptian writting on the walls....it was hushed up..the smithonian denies it..

just a few weeks ago,i read that tools a camel and wooly mamoth bones were found together buried some place in nebraska or some state around there...so the egyptian caves in the canyon all of a sudden did make sense to me
there is an awful lot covered up..because it would change history..who wants the history that we been living by changed ..
imagine if we all found out what we can really do with our potential or what we really are..goverment could loose control etc etc.

so anyways..cayce said that what would be found would do such a thing..change our perceptions.
so it does make sense to me that the doctor was kicked out and the goverment hushed it up..

anyone no more about any of this.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i have also heard that the sphinx could date back as far as the beginning of this zodiac that we are nearing an end of..2012...think the beginning of the zodiac we are in was 28'900 yrs?to me it makes sense that it is the watcher of time over the sands..built in the beginning and soon to end..

i have also heard that the sphinx may have been a lynx...a lynx in animals speaks...is a animal that has meaning in magic..if the sphinx has been around that long..then it was around when glaciers melted and water levels rose.therefore there would be erosion from sitting water..and it does seems that way and also rain waters..i see both.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If you know anything about the Grand Canyon thing I would like to know more. (Ok, I'd like directions to the cavern but I don't figure anyone has them... lol)

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Lets take apart the sphinx and the pyramids and dig miles into the ground!!

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I also believe that modern day Egyptians have a vested interest in covering up anything that contradicts what they say there history is.

Right now they lay claim to one of the Seven wonders of the world, if proof came out stating that the sphinx and possible the Great Pyramids were created by someone else and that the Egyptians were nothing more then squatters could be a blow to there national pride.

But if the disclosed that they had proof that all was built by someone else and disclosed hidden chambers they would make a killing off of tourism.

The question is what is more important money or national pride?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dancer
I haven't been able to find anything about it, has anyone heard anything?

Either hawass dug for it, or he permited them to dig for it. It wasn't there. It was an error or misinterpretation of the imaging data.

greenmansmind
there is an awful lot covered up..because it would change history

Which is precisely why nothing is covered up. Hawass is an archaeologist. If he could demonstrate that the egyptians were the oldest and most civilized people on the planet by showing that they built the sphinx when the sahara was still wet, I suspect he would. he's done nothing to indicate he wouldn't, and has cooperated with the 'sphinx mysteries' to a reasonable extent.

Besides, why would anyone want ot cover up history? What, if the sphinx was older than currently thought, what woudl it do? Most people don't know anything about egyptian history anyway, its not going to make much of a difference to them.

What if, say, it was shown that Atlantis really existed, and that it spawned all the ancient cultures of the world and was very techonologically advanced, or even more advanced than modern man? So what? I'd be impressed. I'd be ecstatic indeed. But most people, they'd be interested for a little while, and then ignore it, like they ignore everything that we do know about history thats astounding and world changing.

therefore there would be erosion from sitting water

The only plausible evidence for water erosion is specifally erosion from rain falls and humidity, not being in a lake or somesuch.

bpletcj
I also believe that modern day Egyptians have a vested interest in covering up anything that contradicts what they say there history is.

How does making them the descendants of an ever greater civilization be something that they'd cover up? They're already only contemporaries of the mesopotamians and perhaps teh harrapans, not to mention the ancient city sites like jerhico and such. A much older sphinx would push them back into an almost evolutionary scale.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Nygden

Good point, I didn't think of it that way.

Thats what I love about ATS, so many different ideas and concepts floating around, bringing up things one might never think of on there own.

I love this place.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yeah, this place can be interesting at times.

This sort of thing is pretty interesting. I mean, it relates to other 'covered up' discoveries too. Like with evolution, some creationists insist its all a conspiracy, as if scientists can come up with earth shattering, career making theories that disprove evolution, but don't, because they 'like' evolution too much, or what not.

And I feel particularly bad for Hawas. People constantly attack the guy for being a tool and conspirator, when he's been reasonably helpful in these matters. Actually, I don't feel bad for him too much, he does have one of the best jobs in all of archaeology!

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by Gazrok
The real controversy of the Sphinx is that it appears to be far older than the pyramids themselves...and of a civilization predating the Egyptians... The water erosion evident on it places it at about 10,000 years ago,

I would be cautious in attributing the erosion to water. The intial claims have not held up quite as strongly as one would like. It would be great if it was, but the erosion evidence is weak, sensible, but weak.

That is news to me, from all that I have read the only possible cause of the vertical fissures in the Sphinx is from heavy, longterm precipitation. When the actual erosion was shown in closeup to a convention of over 200 geologists, there was a virtually unanimous, quick agreement to that. Then, when it was revealed that the picture was from the Sphinx, the group of geologists quickly retracted their conclusions.......
The repair blocks can be quite solidly dated to the time of Khafre, which is quite firm evidence that the Sphinx must be much older than that. It is impossible that the builders would then have to repair erosion damage on their new creation.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The Egyptians were obsessed with the idea of duality, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a second Sphinx facing the current Sphinx on the opposite side of the Nile. Just a hunch.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
if things are not covered up,then whats up with the ancient egyptian caverns in the grand canyon found in the late 1800s..why was it sealed and hushed..
there are reasons and it does not take a scientist to figure it out.

commen sense tells me,that it would scatter alot of minds...my grandfather firmly believes columbus found america..i told him stories of ancient people here long before columbus and he said why bother with that bull..he could not accept it..

if people understood their full potential...this could be a scary world..just knowing the power i have...i am glad my intentions are saintly.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What inventions do you have?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenmansmind
if things are not covered up,then whats up with the ancient egyptian caverns in the grand canyon found in the late 1800s..why was it sealed and hushed..
there are reasons and it does not take a scientist to figure it out.

commen sense tells me,that it would scatter alot of minds...my grandfather firmly believes columbus found america..i told him stories of ancient people here long before columbus and he said why bother with that bull..he could not accept it..

if people understood their full potential...this could be a scary world..just knowing the power i have...i am glad my intentions are saintly.

I know what you mean......and feel that the power you have is envied by those who have less altruistic spirits. They will not be able to attain it cuz of that, and those I have met who also have such power also feel as you do, and each of them has often said to me that they wish they didn't have it.
I have a strong faith and also a strong critical, analytical mind. This is a great puzzle to those near to me............they don't see how it can be possible. It is cuz I have been inundated with miracles my whole life, and I choose to believe others until they prove themselves to be not trustworthy. I see that many other people choose to doubt anything that they hear about that is in any way paranormal. I understand how this skepticism is so fervently held by them, and find no fault in it. We all have our own path to walk........peace to all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join