It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else creeped out by this Facebook "feature"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: The2Billies

Wow...is this true???

I never had to do that when I signed up, though it was a while ago.

I flat out refuse to do that!

Oh, and FAILBOOK SUCKS!!!

Yes it is true! Look at all the sign in options that are not an email sign up - these are the ONLY ways one can sign into ATS now.

BTW, I really enjoy ATS and beg not to be banned for talking about this.

If you don't hear from me and I disappear from ATS, you will know Facebook has deleted my account from my earlier comment.

There has been and I promise will not be any reason for ATS to ban me. So you will know Facebook read my last post above and poof - I'm banned by Facebook from ATS.

edit on 10/7/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i have no friends, so such problems do not present themselves.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Read the terms and conditions.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I once had someone pop up as a recommendation on Facebook that I hadn’t communicated with for years and never had their contact info on the phone I had at the time. I found out that Facebook figured out I knew this person because the person had MY phone number in their phone.

The only way to beat it is to not use it at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverStarGazer

I once had someone pop up as a recommendation on Facebook that I hadn’t communicated with for years and never had their contact info on the phone I had at the time. I found out that Facebook figured out I knew this person because the person had MY phone number in their phone.

The only way to beat it is to not use it at all.

Wow!

That level of sophistication re: surreptitiously gathering knowledge is really scary.

If Facebook can do things like this and make the connections between those data relationships, what else are they capable of?

And if Facebook can do this what are the "professional" spy agencies capable of doing?

Jesus God...

edit on 10/8/2019 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I think you were on a hiatus when I authored the following thread, "DARPA, LifeLog, Facebook, et al."

As Heff mentioned, it's all automated and the is very little that can be done to escape its ubiquitousness.
edit on 8-10-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

I think you were on a hiatus when I authored the following thread, "DARPA, LifeLog, Facebook, et al."

As Heff mentioned, it's all automated and the is very little that can be done to escape its ubiquitousness.

Thanks!

I'm off to read thru it now...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

I just read it.

Wow!

Terrific stuff - thank for letting me know that I missed it last year.

You really have to pay attention around here or - poof - the world just happens without you...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
That's just the tip of the iceberg.
When I was younger I took some classes at a community college. The college gave me an email account, as colleges usually do. I never used it outside of the time I was attending classes there. Well, several years later (after not having touched that school email account for those several years) - different phone, different computer with different hard drives, different email address, etc etc, I was curious about various messaging apps for the smartphone that were designed to keep you as anonymous as possible. I installed one just to check it out. It auto-populated my contacts with basically everyone I've ever emailed or received an email from - including all the people I had communicated with from that school email account. To this day I have no idea where that random messaging app pulled that information from.

Assume everything you do online is permanently saved and stored somewhere.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   
After all this time and all the evil displayed by the likes of FB and their affiliates, why in the world are you still participating in these things? You know FB is evil. Delete your profile. You know Amazon is evil. Do not support them in any way. You know Apple is evil. Ditto. You know Nestle is evil. Again, vote with your wallet. Either you like their business practice or you don't.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Google is the worst demon.
They data mine, collect and store,
have profiles on all people, THEN
auction off the info to the highest
bidders as insurance companies,
potential employers, statistics to
foreign governments, and of coarse
advertising corporations.
Google is making $$$ off you for
being you and selling you.
Think of how evil that is.
You are a numbered commodity,
a unwilling, an un-voluntarily participant
in human-trade, in which google
is making $$$ selling YOU literately to the
highest bidder.

posted on Mar, 26 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
Have you ever begun texting with a new friend on your phone but you are not yet friends on Facebook?

Have you noticed that the next time that you log into Facebook you are presented with a "Friend Suggestion" for that person?

Are we supposed to believe that's just coincidence?!?

Is it even legal for the Facebook app to monitor who I chat with using SMS? It's a completely different app!

I'm going to ask them about it as I *hate* the idea of anyone surreptitiously looking over my shoulder or outright spying on my activities...

Then I'm glad I left Facebook years ago, before I was texting friends. I don't trust it at all. In fact, it's disabled on my phone and blocked on my computer. They follow you all around the internet.

posted on Mar, 26 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

You do know ATS requires new users to join through a platform now that is well known for collecting personal data.

I tried to join just using my email and was not able to, I had to use one of the major platforms, including FB who we all know collect way too much personal data to join ATS.

I distrust them all, but decided to open a FB page so I could be on ATS. I friended no one I know, posted no pictures, just friended a celebrity that would be fun to watch, a comedian. A week or so later, FB said my page was fake and DEMANDED my cell phone number to stay active. So hand over my cell phone number to FB or be unable to use ATS. I gave my cell phone number to FB.

Just surprising that ATS now forces new members to go through mega personal data collection sites to join.

PS Just left to check FB, seems they are recommending I join a quilting group on FB. How did they find out I am in a quilting club? Not from FB, I wouldn't jeopardize my friends by friending them. Had to be from cell phone conversations. Thanks ATS

Wow! I didn't know ATS was requiring that. It looks like I joined only a couple of years ago, and your post was in 2019. Perhaps it's no longer required?

That's really creepy that you and others on this thread have had FB spy on your phone conversations.

edit on 26-3-2023 by SilverMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2023 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Is it even legal for the Facebook app to monitor who I chat with using SMS?

It's probably in the small print of the terms and conditions somewhere.

We sign our souls away to satan when we sign up for social media contracts most of the time without ever bothering to read such.

As to someone surreptitiously looking over your shoulder or outright spying on your activities, the algorithms do that and the fact of the matter is that in the information age we now live true anonymity is a thing of the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join