It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else creeped out by this Facebook "feature"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Have you ever begun texting with a new friend on your phone but you are not yet friends on Facebook?

Have you noticed that the next time that you log into Facebook you are presented with a "Friend Suggestion" for that person?

Are we supposed to believe that's just coincidence?!?

Is it even legal for the Facebook app to monitor who I chat with using SMS? It's a completely different app!

I'm going to ask them about it as I *hate* the idea of anyone surreptitiously looking over my shoulder or outright spying on my activities...

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I'm creeped out by Facebook......PERIOD.

Don't mess with it.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

yeah, thats creepy and exactly why I deleted 8 years ago when Goldman Sachs bought 51% of screwbook

Why do ya suppose GS wanted controlling interest, yet all ya hear about is that midget zuckerturd

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Although Zuckerberg is a cofounder of FB... two to three of Facebook‘s officers/investors were, I believe, former CIA leaders involved with a program called TIA.... Total Information Awareness. What better way than an app/website that aggregates everyone’s profile, who they’re friends with and where everyone is and are doing.... all offered up for free by its users. Usually hidden is always fine print and allowances granted by the user of a phone app that allows accessing information and usage of a phone and its features... thusly giving that app access to who you texted... usually permitted by Apple or android makers... so long as the fine print is available to users.....

edit on 6-10-2019 by DarwinianLaw because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2019 by DarwinianLaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
How did I post in a different thread?

edit on 10/6/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Shhhhh

Pay no attention to the spooks behind the curtain.

edit on 6-10-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

(post by ErEhWoN removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It may be the app? We give them a ton of permission when accepting them.
Good if not scary info on this episode of Marketplace:

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Don't stop smiling, the product will know and send a notification to the mainframe.

Remember: "Just smile with the product".

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ErEhWoN

lol ya notice I dont play into division and dialectic...and you jump right in and try to create a Trump narative?

Most of us arent as stupid as folks like you seem to depend on.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I remember having asking my Landlord for a plumber a while back. I spoke to the plumber on the phone and eventually all the work was done. But after a couple days, his profile appeared on my Facebook as a suggestion for a friend.
I have refused apps due to the amount of private information they require.
One of my old apps wanted access to my mobile calender for some reason. No idea why but again, I refused.

I have been using social media less over the last month. I haven't missed it one bit.

People share so much without a care in the world as to where it goes.
edit on Mon, 07 Oct 2019 00:09:28 -05001219102019000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I'm creeped out by Facebook full stop.

Why anyone would want to advertise every facet of their lives on line is beyond me.

All Facebook users are doing is educating anyone who wants to hurt them how to.

Boycot Facebook and do it now.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Don't stop smiling, the product will know and send a notification to the mainframe.

Remember: "Just smile with the product".

Haha.. you are the product!!

Don't facebook, never have..very hard to keep much privacy now days.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN

I'm creeped out by Facebook......PERIOD.

Don't mess with it.

Check. It is an intel collection platform. Bad news.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Yep, anymore these apps even tell you that you give them full permission to access your entire phone and your contacts when using them.

I remember when a friend was upset that pictures they had taken with their phone were popping up on Facebook as suggestions for posting on the Facebook app.

I also had to turn the tracker off on my cell phone that used to send me surveys within 30 minutes of leaving certain restaurants and stores I just visited.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Do not use Facebook.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

You do know ATS requires new users to join through a platform now that is well known for collecting personal data.

I tried to join just using my email and was not able to, I had to use one of the major platforms, including FB who we all know collect way too much personal data to join ATS.

I distrust them all, but decided to open a FB page so I could be on ATS. I friended no one I know, posted no pictures, just friended a celebrity that would be fun to watch, a comedian. A week or so later, FB said my page was fake and DEMANDED my cell phone number to stay active. So hand over my cell phone number to FB or be unable to use ATS. I gave my cell phone number to FB.

Just surprising that ATS now forces new members to go through mega personal data collection sites to join.

PS Just left to check FB, seems they are recommending I join a quilting group on FB. How did they find out I am in a quilting club? Not from FB, I wouldn't jeopardize my friends by friending them. Had to be from cell phone conversations. Thanks ATS

edit on 10/7/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This isn't black magic. Facebook collects any and all data that you voluntarily provide them. They then sell and trade that data. As does your cell phone provider, your cable company, your ISP, your credit card company, your bank, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, Microsoft, Google... And so on.

Just about all Corporations engage in this.

That's how Facebook can send you an ad for the thing that you just searched for on Google or Amazon the previous afternoon. They all contribute to and access the same databases.

I want to be clear that I don't condone or support these behaviors. I merely understand how they work.

These systems are 99.999% automated and they're ubiquitous. IE if you don't have a FB profile but you can read these words then Facebook still has your name and your IP because it's on the list they bought from your cellular provider or your ISP.

The only comfort to be had is that you're likely not that special. You're one data point out of billions and odds are the only effects you'll ever endure are targeted ads and friend suggestions.

When you spy on one person it's creepy. When you're spying on 7.5 billion it's all just math.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Wow...is this true???

I never had to do that when I signed up, though it was a while ago.

I flat out refuse to do that!

Oh, and FAILBOOK SUCKS!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I wonder where Tom would be in these regards if people would have stuck it out with Myspace over FB... I don't think he was as nerdy as Mark Zoidberg, BUT, he did send a friend request to everyone who signed up so who knows. All social media should be outlawed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join