It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else given up the booze and gone through withdrawals? The booze thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I quit drinking every single day.

I don't wont to be that guy who says no thanks I don't drink. I enjoy drinking a little. I want to be that guy who knows when to quit every day.

I despise hangovers so am always on the guard against drinking too much. Depending on who you ask any amount is too much.
To them

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1

I wish I could do that but I'm choosing total abstinence because it's like my brain has forgotten about alcohol now, but if I have one I'm scared it will wake like a deceptive snake and remember how much it enjoys being intoxicated 😂
I simply can't take the risk, I'm loving going meh when alcohol is around me now ❤️

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trucker1
I quit drinking every single day.

I don't wont to be that guy who says no thanks I don't drink. I enjoy drinking a little. I want to be that guy who knows when to quit every day.

I despise hangovers so am always on the guard against drinking too much. Depending on who you ask any amount is too much.
To them

That’s right, doesn't matter who does what as long as they know where the line is for them.

That's the issue for Addicts, the line is invisible. So it becomes a all or nothing deal, the smart ones as in the OP who still have control of their thoughts know that there's only one choice if you can't establish that lines whereabouts and that's to get rehab, detox and go down the nothing path.

In reality the only smart move.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yea so I've been just about right where you are except for I made it 5 weeks without a drink. Then my SO and I split up so now I am trying to only do it socially on the weekends.. but damn it's hard. I do want to get back to that place.

I realize now as we both had the same problem and once sober we couldn't hide that we were not happy. While this is a good thing, it is more complicated than that when there is a child and 10+ years involved. Like infinitely more so. But we will figure it out.

edit on 6-10-2019 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Massively agree, I would easily fall into alcohol addiction again if my brain had a sniff of it in my system 😂
I'm actually going to my regular bar now, my very good friend owns it and she won't serve me alcohol, also told all the girls unless she says different it's only non alcoholic for me haha!
I've realised how friendships and being honest with friends about your challenges is a massive part of getting through life's challenges ❤️❤️❤️

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

Oh big love and good luck keeping your train on it's tracks ❤️
Isn't it amazing how clearer emotional stuff becomes when we sober isn't it!! 😁

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

11 days sober - keep up the good work. Remember avoid controversy and find calming things to do. Gardening or even being more in nature. The physical addiction will go away. It the mind you have to keep working on.

Good for you.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DaisyRainbow

It really is. Like suddenly this thing called insight exists again. 😄

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

For me the biggest fear is being not in control again. I'd hate to get back to the place where I'd need 1 to face the day.

Rinse repeat and its only a matter of time before your heart gives out or you do something stupid like hurt someone driving etc

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Oh an BTW the insight gets clearer as the months and years go by whilst you're sober

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaisyRainbow
a reply to: CthruU

Massively agree, I would easily fall into alcohol addiction again if my brain had a sniff of it in my system 😂
I'm actually going to my regular bar now, my very good friend owns it and she won't serve me alcohol, also told all the girls unless she says different it's only non alcoholic for me haha!
I've realised how friendships and being honest with friends about your challenges is a massive part of getting through life's challenges ❤️❤️❤️

Ok so here it is -

You are being called by your angel spirits to clear your brain in order to be able to recieve your rightful place in ascension - this is your test, you are hearing the call and adhering to it. Very noble.

But -

Remember they can only guide you, you must physically take on and complete the task to be worthy of that ascension.
You ooze a good spirit - save it from the depths of despair and in return you will be eternally complete.

Hope you understand, i really tried to not be preaching any particular beliefs.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

11 days sober - keep up the good work. Remember avoid controversy and find calming things to do. Gardening or even being more in nature. The physical addiction will go away. It the mind you have to keep working on.

Good for you.

Thanks for the encouragement!

You know it’s kinda funny because now I have much more time and get more stuff done. I didn’t realize what a time consuming thing it is to drink constantly.

And I did not realize how much alcohol controlled my life until I stopped. I guess the same is true for almost any addiction.

I’ve actually taken up traditional archery and am trying to teach myself to play the fiddle, I can barely eek out twinkle twinkle little star but I couldn’t even do that a week ago. Funny that you mention gardening, I was just telling the wife yesterday that I want to do a winter garden this year, cabbage onions, turnips and such.

I think a lot of people relapse because they don’t know what to do with all the extra time that used to be spent drinking all day. Idle hands really are the devils playground I guess.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

You shouldn't have gone cold turkey. You're lucky you didn't die. Alcohol withdrawal is one of the only withdrawals you can die from, it's worse and more dangerous than heroin withdrawal. People regularly die from it.

To anyone else thinking of doing the same thing, don't. Go to a doctor and get a low dose benzodiazepine to wean yourself off. I can't state enough how dangerous it is to withdraw from alcohol. It's more dangerous than any other drug.
edit on 6-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I think a lot of people relapse because they don’t know what to do with all the extra time that used to be spent drinking all day. Idle hands really are the devils playground I guess.

This! It is absolutely the biggest thing. That, and being in the same environment that was so.. well, the same. Unfortunately, everything I have done for so long it feels like all there has ever been, involved alcohol. Finding change is hard for someone like me who finds change hard.

Oh and my other problem was social media. Once I cut that out, the burden of all of that mindless stuff, lifted. I had no idea just how detrimental it was. I mean, I knew.. but not to the extent it was. Facebook is something I regret ever being pulled into... ironically, it was from a place just like this, so long ago.

but the nagging moments that drag on and on are the worst. and with alcoholism, comes a loss of all motivation. No desire to engage in things once considered worthy... I used to walk 2 hours a day, before anxiety ripped that from me. Walk along the river, sit under those magnificent trees and feel their presence, their ancient watching. Listen to the wind carry the whispers of those souls so old, who silently witness the world turn.

I still thank the trees for providing comfort on a hot day, or shelter in a storm, on days I meander by...

Becoming unstuck from the things that trapped us, is key. And each day at least, is a fresh start.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I used to drink like that if not more who knows. Quit like 29 years ago. Not going back. Some people can drink good for them. I cant. Its that simple for me. Good luck on your journey.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

That was my initial reply also, till I read that they had gone to hospital.

What a toxic and dire thing, alcohol is...

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I used to drink like that if not more who knows. Quit like 29 years ago. Not going back. Some people can drink good for them. I cant. Its that simple for me. Good luck on your journey.

I think some people fall into the trap of absolute abstinence, which for me, doesn't work. Not that I would drink, but it's the utter shut off that becomes a brick wall that I find hard to move around. When I gave up for 2 years, it was a case of saying "I allow myself to drink, but choose not to." And I could sit with others having a few drinks, and I'd enjoy my lemonade.

removed the anxiousness around failing, the burden of forcing myself to remind myself, because it was then my decision and not something forced. the mind is a great story teller, and the body listens intently.. just have to know how to word things, when the time is right.

But it's something that each person has to work out themselves... no one size fits all..

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sounds like you had dt, that means your body was very physically addicted to the drink.

Do not ever have a single drink again. You will go through the same withdrawal even after only 1 or 2 drinks.

Each time a dependant withdraws it gets worse. It's called the kindling effect. It can then become very very life threatening.

I had an uncle who had to be kept in a coma for six weeks it got so bad.

You did good giving up and the fact you can be around others drinking means that you arnt as mentally addicted as many people become.

Good on you, you should be very proud of yourself.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Twice. Well, I used to go through withdrawl every single morning- that's why I had to do two or three shots every morning. If I could get several shots down, then the shaking would calm down enough for me to at least stand up. The problem was that I would be prone to puking them right back up. It was hell.

I went cold turkey finally after too many stories to share here. My parents had come to stay for a few weeks and that's when I did it. It was hell. Shaking, puking, no appetite. But the worst is the racing heart, racing mind, and anxiety. You have a constant and uncontrollable anxiety and racing mind. It's horrendous.

Got through it and stayed sober for 7 years. Then for a year I was back to the same place, having to drink all day long.

When I went to quit that time, it was harder. So I spent a good three months trying to wean myself. Found some formulas online that help you figure out how much to cut down each day, for how long, to safely get you off booze. Problem is, I'm a raging alcoholic, so I wasn't able to always keep it to the reduced drinks. Finally, a friend knew what was going on and said one day, "Do you want to go to treatment?" and for whatever reason I Said yes, and he called the county detox right then and got me in that day. If I hadn't gone that day, I would have changed my mind by nightfall.

That was hell too, but at least I was safe and monitored for DTs (the seizures are the dangerous part), and they gave me medication to sleep at night, which was huge.

That was almost 7 years ago.

It's hell, but it doesn't last forever, and it is SO WORTH IT! To never wake up going into withdrawl, to no longer be a space and have to organize your life around the booze. No more constant anxiety and no more "Will I be found out?". YOU CAN DO IT!

AA meetings are especially helpful when you're withdrawing, because every person there has been through what you're going through, and they uniquely understand you. I'll be praying for you and Im happy for you that you're getting free!!!!

ETA: OP, I'm an idiot. I read as far as your paragraph starting "Three days in and in curled up in a ball" and immediately hitting the reply button, wanting to give you encouragement by sharing my story right away and didn't even finish your OP. 😂😂😂

So actually, our stories confirm one another! For some people, the only way to quit is to be in a controlled environment like a detox or hospital, where they cN be given meds to help if needed. I believe that many, MANY more drinks like myself would be sober if they had the opportunity to be medically detoxed. The withdrawls, for the daily heavy alcoholic, can't even really be described adequately, and it's the anxiety that is the worst part of it.

Please be careful! Now that you're free from that hellish master booze, STAY FREE! Please, please, don't convince yourself that you can drink moderately now. You can't, and if you have a few drinks, maybe you will keep it down for a few days or a few weeks, but you WILL end up right back where you were on the floor a few weeks ago. Only the withdrawls will be worse. They get worse with each attempt.

Get hard candy and keep it with you (your body wants the sugar it's used to, like your health team said), and eat well (good, well balanced meals, esoecially with iron and protein), keep well hydrated, and DO NOT ISOLATE! Look into a few AA meetings. They may seem off-putting for a variety of reasons when you're sitting there, but I can't tell you how valuable they are in the early days, to have a group of people who understand everything you say.

Your friend who took you to the hospital is an angel! He/she gave you such a huge gift. If you'd gotten some booze, you'd be back to the old cycle again right now.

Congrats and keep going!

edit on 6-10-2019 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

I remember one time I was at an AA club and got a phone call from a guy who said he had been drinking for three weeks straight and he needed help. I got his address. When I arrived at his apartment and looked around all I seen was empty booze bottles. I asked what was going on. Him and his wife who he loved dearly had been married for two years. One morning he woke up and found his wife had died over night in her sleep. It traumatized him real bad. He went on a serious binge and had no idea what to do. I asked if he wanted me to take him to detox and he said yes. I took him there and got him all set up. I told him that I would stop by in a few days to see how he was doing. When I stopped by I asked how things were. He said he had been seeing black things crawling on the walls. He said he also had all kinds of different color liquids coming out of both ends of his body. I asked if he needed anything he said no and thanked me for all I had done for him and that he was going to be ok.

I think he just needed to get out of that hell hole he put himself in so he could get back to living.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join