It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homecoming Prank Depicting Slave Master Under Investigation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Source: Homecoming Prank Depicting Slave Master Under Investigation

ST. PETERSBURG, FL — As two students acted out what appears to be an enslaved person and slave master scenario, St. Petersburg High School students gathered at the scene can be heard hooting and chortling on a video posted to Twitter.

The video shows a white student wearing a straw hat pretending to whip another white student in the school's courtyard.

This it totally unacceptable behavior IMO. Whether they thought it was a joke or not, the actual history of slavery is not a joking matter at all. Especially depicting whipping someone!

But, how did these students try to explain their behavior?

The students in the video, who have not been identified, deny the skit was intended to depict a plantation owner and an enslaved worker.

Whatever the students' intentions, the Pinellas County School District is calling it a "racially insensitive incident" and has launched an investigation.

Ahhhh.... YEAH!! DUH!! Even high school aged kids should know better than this, seriously. This is beyond a word or veiled racial reference. This is blatant in it's racial tone. Since this is in the south of the United States, it carries even more weight. And, the hat used depicts the 19th century, a time when it was the worst for slaves in the south.

But, why in the heck did they even do this at all, let alone at school???

The incident took place during homecoming week celebration featuring themed days this week. The theme for the day the video was taken was Country vs. Country Club.

Theme week, I see, Country vs Country Club. In other words, dress up in country-western attire or country club attire. Sounds pretty innocent in itself. However, only if you are not a racist. Otherwise why would you think this represented either country or country club at all??

There is only ONE time and place that depicting a slave being whipped, and that is for education purposes ONLY. Such as at a historic site that has an education program for the early colonial or early America period. And even then, it must be done with full explanations, and to show in person how evil a practice that is and why it has such deep negative roots in America. IMO, we shouldn't hide our sins, we should use them as an opportunity to educate people so that it never happens again.

This here is why you don't tear down statues and erase the bad things from history. You tend to encourage it being repeated or being used as a form of comedy.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
hold on. i seen a lot of leashes whips and such. mostly women holding the leash. but women on the leash too. almost all white. its fetish. get over it or figure it out.a reply to: Krakatoa

edit on 5-10-2019 by AnrkE because: cuz

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Why is this racial?

A white male whipping a white male? There are folks who pay money for this...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnrkE
hold on. i seen a lot of leashes whips and such. mostly women holding the leash. but women on the leash too. almost all white. its fetish. get over it or figure it out.a reply to: Krakatoa

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Why is this racial?

A white male whipping a white male? There are folks who pay money for this...

In this context it is not a fetish. Did you even READ the story? This was at a high school campus, not at a private club or rave.
The fact that you felt the need to even equate the two speaks volumes to me. And "get over it" is such a lame and weak attempt to marginalize this behavior that is is sickening actually.

edit on 10/5/2019 by Krakatoa because: Added the second quote

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

In this context it is not a fetish. Did you even READ the story? This was at a high school campus, not at a private club or rave.
The fact that you felt the need to even equate the two speaks volumes to me. And "get over it" is such a lame and weak attempt to marginalize this behavior that is is sickening actually.

And high school students have never done anything sexual...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Again, it was ON CAMPUS during a theme week celebration.

There is a time and place for everything. If they want to do this in private or elsewhere, I have no issue since it WOULD be for fetish purposes. That's their business. But, not in public at a high school during a period when it is NOT a sexual or related event. They want to do that at a pride parade, great!! I say have at it....since the context is totally different.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Again, it was ON CAMPUS during a theme week celebration.

Really doesn't stop folk from doing the insane...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Don’t ever watch tv or a movie, you will be horrified what they do for entertainment in the mainstream

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
not in this context. but they see adults doing it. internet. i didnt say they understood it. but it not that bad. maybe for their parents but come on. they are kids. duh! kids are dumb , but they learn how to be stupid from adults. wow reply to: Krakatoa

edit on 5-10-2019 by AnrkE because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2019 by AnrkE because: oh barf

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Uh oh now you've done it, op is a little sensitiveabout what others find entertaining he won't like that movie. That scene with the kkk guys arguing over the eye holes in their pillow cases is comedy gold.

edit on 5-10-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Interesting responses. Truly enlightening.

Let me ask you folks, in each of the clips you posted, are they whipping a slave for a joke? Who does whip slaves with such flippant and joyous attitudes?

And for the record, I am a BIG fan of Mel Brooks comedy. However, even he didn't depict whipping a slave for "comedy gold".

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Have you never seen any Monty python skits ?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Let me ask you folks, in each of the clips you posted, are they whipping a slave for a joke? Who does whip slaves with such flippant and joyous attitudes?

And for the record, I am a BIG fan of Mel Brooks comedy. However, even he didn't depict whipping a slave for "comedy gold".

I am going to tell on myself, but I'd be game for such behaviour if the right female were involved. Just like several others might be were the right unique individual were involved.

Stop making everything about race right out of the gate. This is why racial issues can't be overcome. It's because of the belief that such issues can't be overcome. They can, and they are on a daily basis. My fantasy, btw, does not exclude a black woman doing the whipping...

I love me some great personality...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
ive done it in certain situation. people ask for that. get over it or figure out. reply to: Krakatoa

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I am going to tell on myself, but I'd be game for such behaviour if the right female were involved. Just like several others might be were the right unique individual were involved.

Stop making everything about race right out of the gate. This is why racial issues can't be overcome. It's because of the belief that such issues can't be overcome. They can, and they are on a daily basis. My fantasy, btw, does not exclude a black woman doing the whipping...

And have at it...seriously. What you do in the privacy of your home, or in a private club or party is none of my business. However, this is NOT a fetish display, on a high school campus, during a theme week.

Again, context is everything.

the choice of attire they wore makes it racial since it is attire typical of a plantation worker, during the late 18th early 19th century, in the deep south of the United States. That depiction was their choice, and theirs alone.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Again, context is everything.

It really is. In which a straw hat does not make a racist scene. Try as much as you'd like to make this racist. It isn't. They're kids. Dumb kids, but kids.
edit on 10/5/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Especially depicting whipping someone!

What's wrong with depicting someone who wanted to be whipped in public?
and what's wrong with acting, actor's are not racist.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-10-2019 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow

Especially depicting whipping someone!

What's wrong with depicting someone who wanted to be whipped in public?
and what's wrong with acting, actor's is not racist.

www.youtube.com...

Another person that does not understand context here. Please spare me your deflections. If this was a new wave party, and they were dressed in that attire and depcting a whipping fetish, SO WHAT? I mean that.

But it was NOT.

Time and place, context matters.

How is that not understood here?

This entire thing has nothing to do with fetish decisions at all.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I think ppl are just messing with you. Obviously this was in bad taste by the high schoolers,
But i don't think it's news worthy.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

I think ppl are just messing with you. Obviously this was in bad taste by the high schoolers,
But i don't think it's news worthy.

I know they are...but it doesn't change the facts.

Newsworthy or not, that is just opinion. I think its worth bringing to light for discussion, real discussion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join