It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our political system is totally broken. Can it be fixed or are we doomed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66If an individual person's vote in South Dakota counts multiple times as much as a individual person's vote in New York City ... how is THAT fair?

That's not how it works. Don't move the goalposts.
edit on 4-10-2019 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Here's why eliminating the Electoral College will never work under the current constitution.

The United States of America is a Republic - comprised of equal STATES.

Elected Representatives are allocated to STATES on the basis of population.

Each STATE is guaranteed equal representation in the Senate.

Each STATE make it's own laws and rules for the choosing of Electors (including any winner take all rules).
[SCOTUS has ruled Electors are independent and free from constraints regarding their voting preferences.]

Ultimately, it's about the STATES having an equal "weight' (based on population) in the Republic's national election.
National elections are not about every individual's vote counting equally everywhere (national popular vote).
The individual's vote aggregates to their STATE - not beyond.
Otherwise, you'd have a democracy of individuals instead of a Republic of States.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   
A civil war is required to straighten out this chaos. A time for peace has passed. I believe 2020 election will be the "Straw that broke the camel's back" and the progressive left will revolt in our streets which will get out of control and spread throughout the entire nation.

It will take decades for USA to heal.

a reply to: Riffrafter

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It's just not the special interest group. Look at the squad they are backed by communist, hardly billionaires but if their policies were implemented the US would collapse and there would be chaos. A two party system is not good but so would a 5 party system, because with many parties you only need support of 20 percent or less of the crazy and you would rule. This would be similar to the parliament system and they are more f*** up than us.

Bascially, it comes down to the people and they need to vote for the right people but a lot of the masses are just straight ignorant to know.
edit on 5-10-2019 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
There use to be a common ground in the better of the country and the citizen first.

Today the Democrat have more of a global well. Being over a American well being

Today Democrats care more about illegal aliens than they do citizens.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: spiritualarchitect
I personally do not really see the benefit in shortening term limits..
If you actually run across a truly good leader, why would you want to roll the dice again??

The benefit to me would be to oust the career politicians, as I think they are part of the problem.

A truly good leader seems too few and far between to me. Reagan, Kennedy... I really can't think of any others that would qualify.
For the most part yah. Still some good people like Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows and Ted Cruz on the GOP side and... on the Democrat side ... I dunno
Maybe Tulsi Gabbard but she is still misguided and wants to impeach the only Potus since Reagan who went up against the globalists.
edit on 5-10-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
There use to be a common ground in the better of the country and the citizen first.

Today the Democrat have more of a global well. Being over a American well being

Today Democrats care more about illegal aliens than they do citizens.

You are correct though a number if gop are also globalist and some even paid off by Soros. Truth be told though, the democrats are now run by a combination of corruption and the Communist Party USA.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect

I personally do not really see the benefit in shortening term limits..
If you actually run across a truly good leader, why would you want to roll the dice again??

A truly good leader seems too few and far between to me. Reagan, Kennedy... I really can't think of any others that would qualify.

The Iran-Contra Affair (Iran seems to be an American theme) and Marilyn Monroe. You're welcome.
They were both still human. The CFR and Bush ... you’re welcome 😇

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
We need to fix the corruption first.

People are running for Congress to become millionaires, not to serve the people.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: thedigirati
when the USA first instilled a Government, Dueling was still a thing, a man stood for his convictions.

they were considered "Gentlemen"

Today that are no standards and no gentlemen and no dueling

of course the Government wont work.

( I still think dueling should still be a thing, would love to see Trump and Schiff at 20 paces or even Deniro and Trump)

Link

Thanks for the window to what gets injected into the brain of a typical Democrat. Nice to see you all still focusing on the relevant issues...
Not only that but anyone can see from the photo that it is actually Trump helping the other guy up the steps. The journalist putting this out is less than honorable and honest about the incident.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It can NOT be fix't.
the Great power of Rome died this way.

Oliver Cromwell in england (look him up)
fix't it one time.
the people took up arms with him.
they believed in him.
but wen he died it came back!

edit on 5-10-2019 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Our political system is totally broken. Can it be fixed or are we doomed?

Nuke it from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think the shadow organizations are the distraction..

“Don’t worry about the fact 700 million is missing from Iraq... no worry about the Illuminati. ThT is the real problem.”

If there are , relatively if course no shadow organizations who run things.. that means the corruption ends right where we see it does..

This it that politician or CEO trying to get rich.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

a reply to: Masterjaden

Unions are the opposite side of the coin..

Unions = the labor force..

Lobbyists= the owners

I just personally think the labor force is a more accurate representation of the population than the business owner..

As it stands now, corporate and banking lobbyists spend 100 dollars for every union dollar spent. Both parties are in the pockets of the corporations and banks.

This needs to change.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

as long as people remain convinced they have to vote against the other party rather than for someone they can believe in we are doomed and judging by the number of people who insist voting for anyone outside of the 2 parties that took us form the most powerful economy in the world to one struggling to stay afloat in a sea of debt is a waste... yea we are screwed.

edit on 6-10-2019 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Of course it's how it works ... if you disagree, explain why, because I can certainly back up my comment with the facts:

Population of South Dakota: 882,235 (link )

Population of New York City: 8,623,000 +/- (link)

Population of the State of New York: 19,540,000 +/-(link)

Population of New York City as a percentage of New York State: 44%

Number of South Dakota Electors: 3
Number of New York Electors: 29
Number of New York City Electors (as a percentage of the State): 13

So in South Dakota: 3 votes per 882,235 people, 1 EC vote = 294,078 people

In New York City: 13 votes per 8,623,000 people, 1 EC vote = 663,307 people

In New York State 29 votes per 19,540,000 people, 1 EC vote = 673,793 people

663,307/294,078 = 2.255

673,793/294,078 = 2.286

Therefore, each persons vote in SD counts 2.255 times as much as a persons vote in New York City.

We don't judge the EC by cities, though, but by State so in actuality each persons vote in SD counts 2.286 times as much as a vote in New York City.

One person one vote? Not even close.

EDIT: ... and when you compare the ACTUAL votes cast compared with EC vote power, it's even more lop-sided.
edit on 6-10-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

So in South Dakota: 3 votes per 882,235 people, 1 EC vote = 294,078 people

In New York City: 13 votes per 8,623,000 people, 1 EC vote = 663,307 people

In New York State 29 votes per 19,540,000 people, 1 EC vote = 673,793 people

663,307/294,078 = 2.255

673,793/294,078 = 2.286

Therefore, each persons vote in SD counts 2.255 times as much as a persons vote in New York City.

We don't judge the EC by cities, though, but by State so in actuality each persons vote in SD counts 2.286 times as much as a vote in New York City.

One person one vote? Not even close.

Wow! Well done Gryphon!

Thanks for doing the research on the numbers and the math once you had the correct numbers.

I've saved your post...I want to share it with a few non ATS member friends.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The real numbers are found in the actual voters in a given Presidential election year ... which shows an even more massive disparity in the system.

Sadly though, the other side merely blurts "Do you want people in NYC or California making decisions for all of us?"

Nope. Nor do I want four people in Wyoming to do so either.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Is this a serious question? The United States is bleeding out it last 2 pints of blood. The Donald is just the fall guy.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

But in this reality, without about 50 million dollars, you suggestions are doomed to be aborted on a lame conspiracy blog before they ever see sunlight.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join