It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's Greta? U.S. pellet exports boom as Europe mixes wood with coal to reduce carbon footprint!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It seems to me that European's simply want the easy way out and have someone else pay their bills as I was just thinking of geothermal heat pumps or HVAC they could be installing today; over there.

Worse than coal. Exploits a carbon loophole. Creates a carbon deficit. No, we are not talking about drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Rather, these are a few of the complaints critics level against burning wood pellets in place of coal to reduce Europe’s carbon footprint. You might assume that exporting a renewable and sustainable product to help wean Europe off coal-fired electricity would bring accolades from environmentalists on both sides of The Pond. But such is not the case. Wood energy has its share of critics. And the scientific community is at odds.

Wood Pellet Exports

First of all this article is from 2018 but it is plain and simply true. Its an ongoing ruse by Europe to blend the wood from forests in the USA all while the Southern USA has rapid deforestation in the thousands of acres. I know. I have lived in Georgia and now live in South Carolina. I have seen it with my own eyes on a daily basis. Thousands of acres of trees are clear cut primarily for our buds in Europe like Greta who can fake their way through the carbon dioxide reduction. Oh the trees grow back in around 30 to 40 years because of the climate they grow like weeds but that isn't the point. The point is that is that we have Greta along with many others always attacking the USA yet at the end of the day they are the phony ones.

Well I am all for the environment and wish Solar would get on board towards 90% utilization soon but in my opinion both this gal is nothing more than a carney selling junk for the EU.

Inconvenient true it is I say.
edit on 4-10-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 4-10-2019 by Waterglass because: spell checker defective?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

What it all boils down to is that the biggest climate change alarmists really aren't that concerned with the climate. They wouldn't be doing 1/32nd of the things they do if they were. If they would spend as much time fighting what they believe in as they do pointing fingers and telling us what we should do then they might actually accomplish something. But like most of the world, until I see proof that global warming is real, I'm going to continue doing what I've always done because I think it's a hoax. And it'll take more than a government funded scientist who is paid to make things up, to convince me.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Some of the climate whackos view wood as carbon neutral, since the trees can be replanted and are a renewable resource.
I view coal as really old trees, so why can't it be carbon neutral?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Who are the dummies here.... Greta and the western Europe not cutting their own forests for energy or the people deforesting and removing all regulations on their eco system...?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I know someone who cares a lot about climate change.
I have to nag her to not brush her teeth and/or was her face with the water going full blast the whole time.
People are strange.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Earth Matters

In the United States, which contains 8 percent of the world's forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), "Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920." The greatest gains have been seen on the East Coast (with average volumes of wood per acre almost doubling since the '50s) which was the area most heavily logged by European settlers beginning in the 1600s, soon after their arrival. This is great news for those who care about the environment because trees store CO2, produce oxygen — which is necessary for all life on Earth — remove toxins from the air, and create habitat for animals, insects and more basic forms of life. Well-managed forest plantations like those overseen by the Forest Stewardship Council also furnish us with wood, a renewable material that can be used for building, furniture, paper products and more, and all of which are biodegradable at the end of their lifecycle.

It looks like the US forestry system isn't run by dummies.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Who are the dummies here.... Greta and the western Europe not cutting their own forests for energy or the people deforesting and removing all regulations on their eco system...?

The dummies are the one's that cry about it, but still uses products that are made via things they claim causes the problem.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

I know someone who cares a lot about climate change.
I have to nag her to not brush her teeth and/or was her face with the water going full blast the whole time.
People are strange.

I hope she doesn't drive a car, fly, use electricity, or fart, too.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

alyssa milano, once hot, now grasping at straws to stay relevant-

on the tom seguarra podcast, milano states, she only farted 'maybe once' in her entire life.

i wish seguarra had called her out on it.
...but he just rolled past.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

It seems to me you have no clue what you are talking about, when the topic is wood pellets or how things are in Europe.

I can only speak for my country though but it is a strong nation with good overall infrastructure and many enthusiasm when it comes to the own home.

Geothermal heating and air/heat exchangers
There is geothermal heating and there are heat pumps that work on air too.

Solar
Many here use water solar to heat their water.

Photovoltaik
The roofs are full of them. I inherited one. It makes enough power in summer so I can even out the bill. Even more so now I am living alone with my daughter here. I get

Pellets
These pellets are used in automatic central heating systems and are produced locally by big sawmills.

a) There is no coal in these wooden pellets, at least I never heard about them.
b) You can not just throw these pellets into your fireplace. They are pumped into a big room and a feeding snail takes them to the burner.

I guess very few do it to reduce any footprint everyone who does it because it is nearly as cheap as wood, but automatic. And it is the best options for those who have local oil tanks so they switch from oil to wood pellets because the necessary storing room is already there.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Earth Matters

In the United States, which contains 8 percent of the world's forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), "Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920." The greatest gains have been seen on the East Coast (with average volumes of wood per acre almost doubling since the '50s) which was the area most heavily logged by European settlers beginning in the 1600s, soon after their arrival. This is great news for those who care about the environment because trees store CO2, produce oxygen — which is necessary for all life on Earth — remove toxins from the air, and create habitat for animals, insects and more basic forms of life. Well-managed forest plantations like those overseen by the Forest Stewardship Council also furnish us with wood, a renewable material that can be used for building, furniture, paper products and more, and all of which are biodegradable at the end of their lifecycle.

If you believe tree numbers are on the increase in america thats on you. Nice quote from a random article in 2011 which basically regurgitated an article posted in 2000 in the very first link of the article...

Maybe you should have googled a little harder... Tree/ shrubs plants are all on the decrease at a steady rate.

Keep googling..

No bs

edit on 4-10-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Earth Matters

If you believe tree numbers are on the increase in america thats on you. Nice quote from a random article in 2011 which basically regurgitated an article posted in 2000 in the very first link of the article...

Maybe you should have googled a little harder... Tree/ shrubs plants are all on the decrease at a steady rate.

Keep googling..

No bs

and yet, you offer nothing but your word. Do you even bother to listen to yourself?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Your wrong but thats your world

HAPPY FRIDAY and headed camping and will have a large fire burning all weekend

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
Pellets
These pellets are used in automatic central heating systems and are produced locally by big sawmills.

a) There is no coal in these wooden pellets, at least I never heard about them.
b) You can not just throw these pellets into your fireplace. They are pumped into a big room and a feeding snail takes them to the burner.

I believe the OP's premise is to point out that burning pellets produces CO2, same as burning coal.

Both burn the H, using the O, and release the C (as well as combinations of O, H, & C, as well as any other impurities in the feed stock)..

The actual CO2 comparison between the two would require some indepth knowledge of the pellet production, burner efficiencies, and exhaust mitigations.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Oh, she farts..
Trust me.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Um...the dummies are the people who don't realize trees grow back, making "deforestation" a temporary and easily rectified issue and meaning wood fuel pellets are a 100% renewable fuel resource.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

If it rots away somewhere untouched then wood produces the same footprint.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
a reply to: peck420

If it rots away somewhere untouched then wood produces the same footprint.

Ding! Ding! Ding! This guy actually sciences instead of parroting the manipulated narrative.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

In case you mean me, there is no dong to your ding.

my awkward saying I am not a guy...
edit on 4-10-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

No offense intended. I guess "This gal sciences" would have been more appropriate?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join