It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schiff slams Trump's call for China to investigate Bidens as "repugnant"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: HanyManny

a reply to: HanyManny

Can you quote the statute that makes this illegal?

I know Pelosi can't. Wondering if anyone can. Or if folks are just going to continue parroting the liars in Congress.

You seem reasonable. What are you rerefencing. I will try to reply.

Trump talking about investigating various people with other nations. can you quote the statute that he is violating? What is the grounds of impeachment (a high crime or misdemeanor)?

Fair enough. If Trump asks a foreign power to help investigate a political rival, then give him information that he can use to win an election (even if the information is true), then he has violated the constitutional limitation on foreign entanglements. Our founders were very worried about politicians using other countries to meddle in our political system. I think they expected Britain and France to try to elect folks that would do their bidding. Read the Federalist papers.

In our current situation, it does look like Trump is doing exactly that. I don't know if he realizes that this is very srong, and he seems surprised that it is.

But, this is the type of activity that the founders were worried about. Is it still wrong?

Well, it is unconstitutional, according to the founders. Should we change it so it is not wrong? Well, that would require a change to the constitution, and that is long, hard, and complicated. But we have amended the constitution 27 times, out of 33 proposals. So it is possible.

I do not think that an amendment for allowing foreign powers to get involved with our elections would get much traction though.

My opinion.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I know Pelosi can't. Wondering if anyone can. Or if folks are just going to continue parroting the liars in Congress.

Trump talking about investigating various people with other nations. can you quote the statute that he is violating? What is the grounds of impeachment (a high crime or misdemeanor)?

Fair enough. If Trump asks a foreign power to help investigate a political rival, then give him information that he can use to win an election (even if the information is true), then he has violated the constitutional limitation on foreign entanglements. Our founders were very worried about politicians using other countries to meddle in our political system. I think they expected Britain and France to try to elect folks that would do their bidding. Read the Federalist papers.

In our current situation, it does look like Trump is doing exactly that. I don't know if he realizes that this is very wrong, and he seems surprised that it is.

But, this is the type of activity that the founders were worried about. Is it still wrong?

Well, it is unconstitutional, according to the founders. Should we change it so it is not wrong? Well, that would require a change to the constitution, and that is long, hard, and complicated. But we have amended the constitution 27 times, out of 33 proposals. So it is possible.

I do not think that an amendment for allowing foreign powers to get involved with our elections would get much traction though.

My opinion.

ETA.

That was not a complete answer:

The president’s authority in foreign affairs, as in all areas, is rooted in Article II of the Constitution. The charter grants the officeholder the powers to make treaties and appoint ambassadors with the advice and consent of the Senate , and Treaties require approval of two-thirds of senators present. Appointments require consent of a simple majority.

There is a great deal of lattude here.

However, to truly do this subject a good hearing would require many pages of text, SCOTUS decisions and a lot of nuance.

To sum it up, I would say (not a constitutional lawyer) that for a US president to ask another foreign leader for help in discovering information that would help the US president defeat a political rival would involve foreign intrigue, which is clearly a violation. For a US president to become aware of information that would help the US president defeat a political rival would not always be wrong, if it came from a foreign government.

I think the difference is if the president solilcits information, then it gets very troublesome. If the president sends out other members of his government, then it becomes very troubling. I don't think that it helps that the president also seems to be with holding US funds. However, I don't think that would really make much difference. There does not need to be a threat of with holding funds: as long as the president is actively solliciting information, then the foreign intrigue element of violation is met, and the president has committed a breach.

I really don't think Trump would understand these nuances. However, he technically broke the constitution in half over his leg by doing what the so called "transcript" shows he did. He did something that would have horrified the founders.

Please recall that the US constitution was written at a very paranoid time.

So yes, Trump broke the constitution. I don't think he did it on purpose, and I think that although he might get impeached, most Americans will let him go, and not want him removed. Impeachment is reserved for serious crimes. This is a serious crime, but Trump does not have the competency to understand the crime. This will be interesting, as competency will be a factor in the impeachment. We will see some really wonderful constitutional law going in in the next year. Pay attention, or don't. But I will be looking forward to the arguments of the century as my legal career ends.

You might want to read up on this stuff before it goes down. For folks in the legal profession this is like the final Star War movie!

That does not mean I am voting for him in 2020, but that is my legal opinion as a guy who only remembers a foggy bit of constitutional law.

If you want a good lawyer, go pay for one. I do contracts.

edit on 3-10-2019 by HanyManny because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2019 by HanyManny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   

In our current situation, it does look like Trump is doing exactly that. I don't know if he realizes that this is very srong, and he seems surprised that it is.

My opinion.

You are so wrong it is ridiculous.

It is not unconstitutional to investigate someone trying to overthrow a government.

Are you in high school or something?

Your debate skills suck at best and are seriously lacking in facts.

Drop the "feelings" and read up on constitutional rights. Hell...I'd bet you have never read the entire constitution....

Learn politics then come back when you arent so brainwashed by the general media.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Biden would nees to win a primary to claim it would help win an election. I dont see that happening. Even so...didnt Hillary and the DNC do that with the Australian ambassador t the UK and Richard Steele? Could China arrest Biden? If there is actionable intelligence of wrong doing should it just be buried for fear of potential claims of election rigging?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

a reply to: PurpleFox
Why are you so against the American Constitution, freedom, and liberty?

One needs to know of the Constitution , freedom , and liberty first.
Get back to me once you have done your homework.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: PurpleFox
Why are you so against ending government corruption?

Why do you only want to investigate some government corruption?

I don't. I just want some kind of evidence that exists to initiate the investigation.

With Ukraine and China and Hunter Biden there is an abundance of evidence.

Nobody hires a drug addict with no knowledge whatsoever in investing or Natural Gas to multi million dollar deals - and by the way he doesn't even speak either language. Only a certified idiot does not realize the only reason he would get those jobs is because his father is Joe Biden and is the point man for foreign policy with those two countries for the Obama admin.

If all Biden did is get his son sweetheart Gig's that is still corruption - even if he did not fire the prosecutor in Ukraine.

Now for the Trump accusation - the Ukrainian government denies they even knew the military funding had been suspended at the time of the call - and in the transcript Trump never says it is. By definition that makes the claim of Trump trying to leverage them with this aid impossible. There is literally nothing that suggest quid pro quo other than Trump Hater's fantasies.

THIS IS SIMPLE LOGIC - the fact I have to spell it out for you tells me you must have a very low IQ, or are willfully ignorant.
edit on 3-10-2019 by proximo because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2019 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Biden would nees to win a primary to claim it would help win an election. I dont see that happening. Even so...didnt Hillary and the DNC do that with the Australian ambassador t the UK and Richard Steele? Could China arrest Biden? If there is actionable intelligence of wrong doing should it just be buried for fear of potential claims of election rigging?

The funniest part to me is they are trying to say Trump is influencing a Presidential election....

Sorry...is there a Presidential election happening? Are they projecting that Biden is/was the one?

As far as I've seen it is crap primaries with one side being the moderators since the dems have limited who can be involved.

Fascist much?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: xuenchen
Democrat desperation in every direction 😃

Pelosi today continues to say Schiff's opening statement the other day was real even though Schiff himself says it was a parody 😃

Biden in total denial and lying like a madman 😃

Biden’s camp is in such a tizzy, they cry when Rudy Giuliani gets on TV.
The lid is on the Dem coffin and Trump is looking for his hammer.

He needs to use an air-driven hammer with nails pre-loaded. Dems don't die easy. Seal em in...FAST.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The big picture: Schiff spoke to reporters outside an ongoing deposition with former special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker, who resigned last week after being named in the whistleblower complaint.

Volker is expected to testify that he did not know that military aid to Ukraine had been frozen at the time of Trump's July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, but that he was aware of Rudy Giuliani's interest in having Ukraine investigate Biden, per the New York Times.
Volker reportedly told Giuliani that he believed allegations about the Bidens were baseless and has told colleagues he was not involved in the pressure campaign.
The whistleblower complaint notes that after the July phone call, Volker and U.S. Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland met with Ukrainian officials and provided them with advice on how to "navigate" Trump's demands

www.axios.com...

Oh my, these reports and facts keep[ adding up.

Does anyone still, still think there is not going to be an impeachement?

Really?

Really?

I know this is hard, but this is how our country deals with an out of control despot president.

The founders were wise.

God Bless America, and thank god for the constitution that allows us to get rid of insane despots.

I REALLY REALLY think there is not going to be an impeachment. If there was going to be one why the delay? An announcement of the intention of an impeachment inquiry does not give the House supena power which is why pompeo told them to screw off - because they cannot force him to testify without a vote. Again only a dullard does not understand they have not voted because they don't have the votes to pass it.

I really really think you don't understand what a high crime is - or that in a trial in the senate 2/3 must vote for removal.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Isn't "Repugnant" Schiff's middle name?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
RE: www.cnn.com...

DIM HEADS EXLODING AGAIN, LOL!

President Trump asked China to investigate the Bidens in June 2019.

Guess where the phone call is kept? On the TOP SECRET SERVER!

Think Dims will demand a transcript??

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
RE: www.cnn.com...

DIM HEADS EXLODING AGAIN, LOL!

President Trump asked China to investigate the Bidens in June 2019.

Guess where the phone call is kept? On the TOP SECRET SERVER!

Think Dims will demand a transcript??

Ok, so here we go again - let them push for the transcript again.

All it does is further highlight Biden and the Democrats corruption.

Trump is playing them. His poll numbers went up from the first accusation, this will just push them higher again as more and more of the public realize he is being unfairly persecuted by the Democrats and the media.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: chr0naut

Look at Trump's money, that he comes from privilege and the fact that many of those he brought with him are now in prison. Use your brain. Despite all the allegations and sackings, has the swamp been drained or is it same swamp, different swamp creatures?

Trump is supposed to defend America, not seek his own personal interests.

A Ukrainian prosecutor (the one that replaced the corrupt one Biden senior wanted to get rid of) has investigated and found no corruption. Hunter Biden was placed into the directors position of Burisma Holdings (not by his father)and his law firm retained by them, specifically to ensure there was no corruption.

Would love to see the reference to all those Trump people in prison....seriously....would love to see it.

Paul Mannafort, Michael Cohen, Michael Flynn, Rick Gates, George Papadopoulos, Alex Van der Zwaan, Chris Collins, Duncan Hunter, Ralph Shortey and Timothy Nolan.

There's probably more.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Why do you only want to investigate some government corruption?

Trump is literally the most vetted President in the history of this country.

2nd line

Hey I've got an idea. Since it's just about corruption, how about we make a deal.

We investigate Donald Trump and his myriad of accusations first, and if found guilty, we impeach and prosecute him. Then we can go after Joe Biden.

If you're really just about investigating corruption, then it's only logical to start with the people who are currently running the government. Afterwards, we can look at people like Biden who are candidates to run the government.

If it's just about corruption, surely you don't have any problem with that..

WRONG.
You have already had your turn for three years since your queen lost and come up empty, empty, and empty.

It's long since time to investigate and prosecute those who you love covering for and defending.

Get ready for it.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

The poster can't even give a source for their thread.

Refuses to post sources hmm.........

Seems a bit ......Silly.........

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Except when you have been asked at least two dozen times on half a dozen threads to elaborate your claims, you ignore every last one of them and just repeat your op. Listen man, could you just disappear like all the other random three to six month anti-trump troll accounts that have preceded you?? I don't want to wait until February for you to stop posting to be replaced with the next "long time lurker" literally posting from the exact same playbook. We just about had our old ats back until tptb had to cover up the recent East vs west battle loss on the Arabian peninsula within the same 48 hour period as the initiation of this newest GEC script written by Mike pompeo/CIA .

And now Putin gave an nwo speech, and the msm and social media trolls came out in force with renewed play acting on this dead horse to ignore the significance on it.

So please, reserve the theatre for the msm, and leave our are alone please. Tell Mike we all already know this entire rodeo is fake and scripted. You guys can just stay on GLP or 4/8chan etc with the troll accounts. We would like to focus on the space anamolies, the changing world order, and UFO's like we were before the east scored it's victory over west the same time this soap opera that Adam and Nancy started preceding your arrival.
edit on 10-3-2019 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

The pea-brain moths didn't fly to the flame when Putin teased them by asking that Putin-Trump transcripts NOT be released.

Maybe this phone call between China's XI and Trump will do the trick!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Wait where in the Constitution does it say it is against the law to investigate corruption??

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You guys have been investigating Trump for 3 years and found nothing, so yes, it's Biden's turn. And you even got to investigate Trump first, everything you desired. Now why are you scared that biden gets investigated if he didn't commit any crimes?
edit on 3-10-2019 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Schiff's words will have ZERO weight until he comes clean, or is testifying before a Judge/Jury.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join