It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador declares state of emergency amid protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

QUITO (Reuters) - Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno declared a state of emergency on Thursday as massive nationwide protests broke out against the elimination of four-decade-old fuel subsidies.

Interior Minister Maria Romo said 19 people were arrested for blocking roads and other crimes, as thousands took to the streets, burning tyres and chanting slogans.

Ecuador declares state of emergency amid protests

My wife is Ecuadorian & is getting a LOT of news & video clips, photos & details regarding massive protests which have spiralled out of control in Ecuador, largely due to the behaviour, decisions & actions of the president, Lenin Moreno. This guy was elected in 2017 with a reasonable hold over the electorate, but has become wildly unpopular among many citizens, as he delivered a slew of austerity measures & simultaneously looted the treasury for his own benefit, barely even bothering to disguise the lavish wealth he & his wife have appropriated since he took office. These latest protests began off the back of the cancellation of decades-old fuel subsidies, but don't be fooled, there's a lot more going on here, and to be honest, the nation is mourning the absence of the hugely popular former president, Rafael Correa, who is de facto living in exile after being hounded out by Moreno's goon tactics in 2017. I will add video clips & photos shortly - Ecuador is bleeding, hopefully they can stem the flow before it becomes a full-blown 'incident'/ or possibly even a revolution.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Looting and personal robberies are at a massive high level in the wake of the protests. Everyone is hunkering down & sheltering in place to the best of their ability wherever these protests & wild behaviours are going on, but it seems that the legitimate protests have been appropriated by a huge number of criminally-minded persons who are making the most of the opportunity to wreak havoc & line their pockets, unafraid to mete of vicious violence in the process, in order to get whatever it is that they're after. Dangerous times indeed, and as for us, we're sending thoughts & prayers to the family out there, hoping that everyone can be found present & accounted for. Some close family members appear to be caught up in what's going on, so hopefully they can get home quickly to keep safe until this blows over.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Apparently there are people on the streets with knives out, stealing and causing chaos, wounding & possibly killing in a frenzy which apparently resembles the TV series/movie 'The Purge'. Prayers for our brother, who is currently the only member of the family unaccounted for. Hoping that this passes quickly.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

They should have phased the subsidy slowly over time like a frog in water being brought to a boil. Instead the flog jumped out!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Oh great. My wife's family is from Ecuador.

Hopefully it doesn't go south.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Doesn't sounds like he follows his parties fundamentals at all. Maybe it's a good time for the other guy who make a triumphant return? I work with a guy from Ecuador, wonder what he will have to say about this tomorrow. I remember him leaving for a month to sort stuff out when this guy got elected, or something to do with elections.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
One brother walked eight miles to get home, and said that he was constantly dodging & witnessing stabbings & shootings, lootings & various forms of violence & theft. Sounds like Hell, but apparently the army will be mobilised any moment now. I tried to upload four videos which show clearly the widespread chaos, even police running away from incidents in their cars because they simply cannot control the violence, but unfortunately the upload doesn't permit videos... We're still waiting for another brother to get home, but as he works as director of a medical facility he's had to stay put and shelter in place whilst still working & trying to respond to what's happening, so he's definitely at risk as pharmacies & medical centres are targets for the looters, it's horrifying to see them slamming, stabb & shooting their way into these places. God help them, sincerely.

ETA - JOURNALISTS ARE BEING KETTLED BY ARMED POLICE, SEEKING TO SHUT DOWN MEDIA COVERAGE OF THE UNREST. There is video evidence that this is happening, but I can't share it unfortunately. Using an appropriate (non-Google) search engine, you may start to find the videos popping up online from citizen reporters.

NB - try YANDEX as a search engine not controlling & censoring the news.

edit on OctoberThursday19110CDT03America/Chicago-050003 by FlyInTheOintment because: tags, clarification

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Doesn't sounds like he follows his parties fundamentals at all.

The nomenclature 'SLIME-BALL' suits him to a tee. Really unpleasant, wormy guy.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The government might as well have said, "let's create a situation where the people go nuts."

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Sounds like South America to me.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
At 7pm local time, the government has declared a 'state of exception', which means that all citizens lose their otherwise inalienable rights, they are under curfew, and if they are caught out on the streets then they are liable to be shot using live ammunition at the discretion of the commanding officers, on the basis that being in breach of curfew makes you a likely threat to the stability of the nation - a looter, thug or terrorist. Presumed guilty & shot, thus at risk of death, with innocence to be proven or disproven at a later date on a case by case basis..!!

Thankfully we just learned that our other brother has managed to get home safely too. Everyone is now confined to their homes, with a brutal form of martial law in effect. Hardcore heavy times..

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I see while that is going on Ecuador is also leaving OPEC so they can raise their oil prices.

I don't know much about Ecuador. Is it actually the case that the fuel subsidies have become untenable? Is this something akin to Greece bankrupting itself with largess to the citizens?

Both sides can be wrong at the same time.

If true, the silencing of the media and not allowing free speech is a huge thing though. I can see rioting for that, but not rioting for hand outs if the piggy bank is empty.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Praying for the people of Ecuador.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Amen to that. It looks like a real mess and not much in the media. Positive thoughts their way for sure.
edit on 10/4/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is a shame.

My daughter was in Ecuador last year with her university s absolutely loved the country and its people. She even got to sample roasted Guinea Pig. I hope they can take their country back.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My wife is also from Ecuador; sure hope my family stays safe.

This isn't new for Ecuador; it has a long list of leaders who have enriched themselves from the government coffers; only to flee the country after they are done.

Even the popular Rafael Correa was corrupt; his biggest mistake was not choosing a better successor... one that wouldn't throw Correa under the bus when it came time for his turn at the trough.

Protests aren't new either; shutting down streets and burning tires was a favorite pass time when my wife was younger.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Interesting that similar activity is currently happening in Peru as well. Their President dissolved their congress, but the lawmakers refuse to leave. They are backed by a relative of a currently jailed corrupt party leader. The President however maintains the backing of the military and law enforcement. Thankfully Colombia remains a bastion of stability

edit on 10-3-2019 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

top topics

join