It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Savannah kitten - Nova

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hello everyone.

Some of you know we were purchasing a Savannah kitten to make part of the family.

Well yesterday we picked him up, made the 3 and a half hour drive back home with him and got him settled in.

We watched all the youtube videos that express because Savannah's are direct descendants from the African Serval, that they are a lot different from a typical house cat.
We thought we knew what to expect....
Boy were we wrong!

You dont truly know what to expect unless you have actually spent some time with the breed.

And what a breed they are.
He is amazing!

I took at least 50 pictures and 5 videos yesterday of him.
Just playing with him and interacting, getting to know each other.

We have him in kitty quarantine in our bedroom. We have 2 other cats, both 10 years old and a German Sheppard pup, who was actually born the same day as our new kitten.
So they have been smelling each other under the door, playing, and then hissing a little bit - which is normal.
Its a slow introduction.

We fed Nova last night. I put his chicken in his bowl, and he attacked it!
Making growling and chuffing noises while he ate.

I thought he was being food aggressive, but found out, that's just what they do.
He didnt attack me when I pet him while he ate.
Its just the sounds of a Savannah cat.

I will upload some videos to youtube eventually, but for now, here are some pictures of the little guy!

(sorry the pics came in weird. Been using my Ipad to take the pictures)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

What an absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous cat!
Truly beautiful.

& someone needs to put some clothes away (sorry it's the mom in me, I can't help it!)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I am not a "cat person" at all, but this is one of those breeds that i would make an exception,
what an amazing creature,

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh I know.
The oldest does the laundry and leaves it on the bed. My wife tried to pile the cloths on the dresser for the time being...
Nova wanted them on the floor.haha

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
He is so gorgeous. How old is he?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Happy days Brother.
A beautiful addition to an already beautiful family.
Well pleased for you all

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

So beautiful.

link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

He is 13 weeks, 14 weeks this Saturday.

We drove the kids to school this morning, came home and I noticed our bedroom door was open. We wanted to do a slow introduction to our other 2 cats.
So I feared the worst as I came in the bedroom.

But laying in the middle of the floor was our big fat black cat - Rocky, just playing with Nova’s toys haha.
Didn’t give a crap about the angry kitten staring down at him from the bed.

As soon as I walked in the room, Nova tried playing tough cat, and start growling and hissing at rocky.
Rocky just kept on playing with the toys haha.

Your not supposed to let them be in contact with each for the first few days.
It’s so they can just get used to each other’s scent, so there’s less of a chance for a cat fight.
But the door was opened so we let both adult cats come see him.
They honestly don’t care about him.
It’s Nova who has the attitude!

link   
a reply to: Cymru

Thanks brother!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Hell yeah, man!

Looking forward to those stories as they come. You motivated me to look more into them and now I'm seriously wanting one. Sadly, Texas isn't too friendly to Savannas but I can be rather quiet about it. lol Maybe

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I know they're big cats, but every time I see one next to a person, I always default to "Holy s#, that's a big cat!" I guess it's one of those size things that's never going to get old for me XD

It may please you greatly to know you made my husband literally squeal and gush with the pics -- Savannahs are one of his "if we ever have a big enough house, property and excess money to feed it properly" wishlist pets. He has a friend who has one, he's very, very enamored with them since "cat sitting" a few times. They have a big property with a huge caged section of the yard to let the cat out to run around in (kinda like a giant dog run, but topped, because climbing & escaping)

His only advice is expect anything, because they're damn smart. Whatever hijinks you can think of to plan for, the cat will outsmart you XD

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Never even heard of them before your previous thread, where you were contemplating on which of the litter to go with... Gotta say though, really cool cat dude.

But just out of curiosity, are you ever going to be able to let it outside to roam freely like a typical house cat? Or would that just be to dangerous to itself and anything else that moves?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Good luck. I have seen where people built an outdoor enclosure for these cats so they can be there wild like selves.
He is gonna be big. Nice coloring.. Light for the breed.

They fascinate me but I dont have the nerve for them. I like my furniture. Unshredded.

Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

When I introduced our old tom to a new kitten I kept her in the carrier and let them get to know each other.
The kitten hissed but the tom was calm.
When they were finally allowed to be together he started grooming her and they were best friends in no time at all.

You have a door opener. I had one. Could not keep him indoors unless I locked the door.

I dont know are you allowed to let a Savannah out? I imagine the investment alone would prohibit that.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks everyone.
We just got home from bringing him to the pet store to get fitted with a harness.

I’ll never allow him outside alone, off leash, people are crappy and can’t be trusted.
He would go missing real quick.

People at the pet store were asking to take pictures with him haha

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

What a beauty! He'll be huge! I can't wait to see videos!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Good luck. I have seen where people built an outdoor enclosure for these cats so they can be there wild like selves.

If Mac doesn't have an outdoor enclosure for Nova to run around in, he'll be doing a lot of walking and running with the cat around the neighborhood. LOL

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Forgot to tell you that on another site in a story, I had a mini dragon named Nova.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Aww Nova!

He doesn’t have wings, but he sure has an attitude !
When it’s play time, he says no touchy!
When he’s ready for a nap, it’s cuddles and purrs.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Macenroe, I'm really, really looking forward to videos of Nova! Also looking forward to the many interactions with Nova and the family and being able to see him grow up. We can live vicariously through you since most of us can't afford such an amazing creature.

I used to be in touch with a man who owned actual wildcats. Here is a pic of one of his Bobcats who was raised with his domestic cats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join