It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help!!! Black widow infestation...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The undercarriage of my Jeep has been infested with black widows. At least I assume more than one. The webbing is extensive!!!

At the beginning of summer, I found a web reaching from the front bumper to the driveway. When I splashed it with the hose the spider came down -- a huge female black widow. Hubby killed it with some spray off his work truck. I don't remember what it was now.

A week ago, I found another HUGE web that literally spanned the rear axle from tire to tire, and then reached to the driver's side front tire. I never saw a spider, but sprayed it as well as I could with bug spray, then brushed away all the webbing I could find. I mentioned it in a thread, and another poster was good enough to suggest spraying with vinegar, which I also did.

But yesterday morning I found more webbing on the driver's side which reached from the undercarriage to the tire. This morning it's grown and now reaches to the ground as well. A more thorough look found an maze of webbing right on the inside behind the passenger tire.

It's crazy. These webs put to shame the scariest horror movie webbing ever made!!!

Oh! Did I mention I also found a DEAD male widow this morning???

I need help! Serious help!!! Anyone know about these things? Is there something that would leave a residual poison on the web that would kill the spiders later? I cannot actually see any spiders. Just the webbing. I think that's why the spray and the vinegar didn't work. I thought about using a fogger, but that may not work either for the same reason. Too many nooks and crevices to hide in.

Any other ideas? Suggestions? Anything???

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
Have you tried shooting them?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Gas and a match...lots of gas! Then call the insurance company and file a claim lol. But really though I would think you'd need to jack the car up and thoroughly clean the under carriage with a pressure washer. Then I'd look to the area its being parked in and see what you find there. Alternatively you could call an exterminator.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Gas and a match...lots of gas!

Even better! Now why didn't I think of that?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here is something more suited to keeping the car undamaged.
Ridding cars of spiders

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Have you tried shooting them?

LOL! Just with the hose and bug spray...

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Where ever you're parking the jeep, start there buy checking around for brush that may have nest. Start clearing it and spray if you can. Spray your undercarriage and anywhere they are getting in. Go to the car wash and high power spray it all away.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Gas and a match...lots of gas! Then call the insurance company and file a claim lol. But really though I would think you'd need to jack the car up and thoroughly clean the under carriage with a pressure washer. Then I'd look to the area its being parked in and see what you find there. Alternatively you could call an exterminator.

Yes -- doh! Getting the car up would help. As would a pressure washer. See? This is why I needed to ask! Thank you!

I was just reading about their habits, and they are apparently more likely to come down at night. So I will probably try spraying this evening again. Before I brush the webs away again -- and before I have to run errands in the morning...

edit on 3-10-2019 by Boadicea because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I heard natural ways of dealing with spiders is with peppermint and lemon essential oils mixed with water and sprayed. Repels, not kills.

But since it's black widows... Maybe natural isn't the way to go.

Also, before you spray things, I'd make sure they're not corrosive. Aside from the undercarriage it could effect couplings on essential lines.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Here is something more suited to keeping the car undamaged.
Ridding cars of spiders

Awesome -- thank you!!!

Really good tips in there. Haven't watched the video with more tips yet, but I will.

Thanks so much!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Make sure you get everywhere when you wash it. If there's a dead male, then they have mated. So there's probably an egg sack hidden in there somewhere. If you don't get it, it will hatch and black windows will start crawling out of your vents as you're going down the road..

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Sell it cheap to someone you don't like.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Where ever you're parking the jeep, start there buy checking around for brush that may have nest. Start clearing it and spray if you can. Spray your undercarriage and anywhere they are getting in. Go to the car wash and high power spray it all away.

Good thinking -- thank you. The vehicle is under an open carport right alongside the lawn on one side, more driveway on the other side. But I've been stacking yard debris behind the Jeep under the carport waiting for bulk pickup (which is next week). I'm thinking that's not such a good idea. We can move it closer to the road now, so I guess we should do that ASAP and spray the area real good. Although it will just be concrete then -- no place for the critters to hide.

Hmmm... I think I'll spray the yard scraps before moving it too!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

But since it's black widows... Maybe natural isn't the way to go.

And Banana Spiders too.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I heard natural ways of dealing with spiders is with peppermint and lemon essential oils mixed with water and sprayed. Repels, not kills.

You apparently heard right! The link from another poster also suggested peppermint and orange oils. But lemon would work too. I actually have some lemon eucalyptus oil already that I can make a spray with. I'll do the power wash and bug spray again first, but the oils might help keep them from coming back. Or encourage any we miss to find other lodging.

Also, before you spray things, I'd make sure they're not corrosive. Aside from the undercarriage it could effect couplings on essential lines.

Good thought. I'll definitely check that.

Thank you!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Make sure you get everywhere when you wash it. If there's a dead male, then they have mated.

Yup! Gave me the shudders to see it...

So there's probably an egg sack hidden in there somewhere. If you don't get it, it will hatch and black windows will start crawling out of your vents as you're going down the road..

Mental note: CLOSE VENTS!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

They're in that debris. Are you allowed to burn on your property? ( Edit- is the debris like grass or twigs )

I made this mistake by stacking stuff up against the house waiting for a bulk pick up day and 3 days later... needed to spray.
edit on 3-10-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

And Banana Spiders too.

OMG... that would really freak me out!!!

Never seen one, but my ex-brother-in-law was a longshoreman down in Long Beach so I've heard about them.

[ [ long drawn out shudder ] ]

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

They're in that debris. Are you allowed to burn on your property?

Not anymore...

We can haul it to the empty field across the street and at least get it off our property. And then we should probably have the house and grounds sprayed by a professional.

I made this mistake by stacking stuff up against the house waiting for a bulk pick up day and 3 days later... needed to spray.

We've never had this happen before... but we'll never be stacking debris there again! I suppose it could have just as easily been scorpions. Although the cats outside would probably take care of them.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Before power washing your vehicle!

Wear an obnoxious amount of protective clothing and start vehicle and turned on the air conditioning on the highest setting for 30 minutes.

This will keep them from hiding in the cab, while you try to eradicate them.

Secondly, spray the area around your vehicle until saturated and puddled. It helps keep them from running or being blasted out onto you. The colder the water the better.

Spray the exterior of the vehicle first. Top down to bottom to keep them from running all over the body and hiding in crevices.

Use the longest wand for your power washer you have and spray every damn thing. Making sure to use a detedetergent based foaming spray.

Let it soak for 30 minutes, and repeat.

It sucks, I know. I buy my trucks from Texas/Arizona and have to do this every time. They always come loaded with nasties, even in mid-winter.

I've brought home trucks that sat in -30 temps for a week that were crawling with stuff after being in a heated garage for 1 day.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join