It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Is Sentenced To 10 Years For Murder Of Botham Jean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

A white former Dallas police officer was sentenced on Wednesday to 10 years in prison for fatally shooting her unarmed black neighbor in his apartment.

A Dallas County jury deliberated for about an hour and a half before deciding upon a sentence that was well short of the maximum 99 years in prison Ms. Guyger could have received — but also longer than the two years jurors might have imposed.

LINK

The sentence is significantly shorter than the 28 years that the prosecutors were pushing for. From what I read, she is ineligible for parole, so, she'll need to serve the full sentence. I also wonder if her racist tweets and Pinterest posts played a factor in her being found guilty of murder. Of the 12 jurors, five are black, five are Hispanic or Asian, and two are white.

Guyger texted with another officer last year about Dallas' Martin Luther King Jr. parade. "When does this end lol," the officer wrote to Guyger. "When MLK is dead … oh wait …" she joked

Two days before Guyger fatally shot Jean, she texted with someone who had adopted a German Shepherd. The dog's owner wrote of the animal: "Although she may be racist." Guyger responded, "It's okay .. I'm the same," and later added: "I hate everything and everyone but y'all."

LINK

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
One of my best friends from my childhood fell into drugs and started stealing. He got sentenced to 11 years for 3 counts of burglary. Not a single person was physically hurt from his crimes and he got more time than her.

To add insult to injury Texas is a 50% good time state, AZ is 80%. She could be out sooner than my friend and she killed a person. Just read that she has to serve 100% of her time but it's still not justice.
edit on 2-10-2019 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
As a Texas resident near Dallas County, I am appalled at the lenient sentence considering the evidence, however,
I APPLAUD THE JURY for finding a LEO guilty in the face of many, many precedents in Texas and elsewhere.

Suffice to say that it remains to be seen if justice will be eventually be carried out. 10 years for an imprisoned LEO may be a life sentence, who knows. Especially here in Texas.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

Well, this wasn’t first degree murder. It was a tragic accident apparently. Unless something is up we don’t know. Like maybe she had past issues with the victim.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I really didn’t follow any of the story since it was reported but my biggest question would be....
What kind of idiot walks into what she apparently thought was her apartment and sees a dude sitting on a couch that wasn’t hers, so she shoots him?
I know what the hell I have in my house, how could she not know?

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Well, this wasn’t first degree murder. It was a tragic accident apparently. Unless something is up we don’t know. Like maybe she had past issues with the victim.

Sorry, I hear ya, but I'm having a hard time buyin' it as an apparently tragic accident.
Who knows if she harbored resentment about noise from the apartment below.
Who knows if she had a pathological hatred/fear of black men?
MAYBE. If she wasn't a LEO. If she was high/drunk (and not a LEO).
So many extenuating circumstances. But still, if you're in control of a weapon, you're responsible for its use.
IF SHE WAS NOT A LEO.
But she was, and should get whatever penalty a duly constituted jury decides, as occurred.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Why does the media keep making a point of white and black?

It should read "A woman walked into the wrong apartment and shot the tenant".

The MSM are complaining about racism, but at the same time fuel the fire. I dont get it.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

It's their M.O. and people eat it up. They're using every social wedge imaginable to divide us down the middle.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa

originally posted by: Willtell

Sorry, I hear ya, but I'm having a hard time buyin' it as an apparently tragic accident.
Who knows if she harbored resentment about noise from the apartment below.
Who knows if she had a pathological hatred/fear of black men?
MAYBE. If she wasn't a LEO. If she was high/drunk (and not a LEO).
So many extenuating circumstances. But still, if you're in control of a weapon, you're responsible for its use.
IF SHE WAS NOT A LEO.
But she was, and should get whatever penalty a duly constituted jury decides, as occurred.

ganjoa

You’re absolutely right.

I remember the time I got off the wrong floor; my apartment was a few feet from the elevator. Maybe I was preoccupied with something so I went to the wrong door. I actually lived on the 12th and got off the 11th. But when I began to put my key in the door, I noticed…Goddam this isn’t my door! And quickly got away back to the elevator.

So I find it difficult to believe the lady went inside his house and didn’t notice…It wasn't her home.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Living here in Dallas, myself and others are breathing a sigh of relief that the jury did their job and found Guyger guilty, as well as giving her a prison sentence (although I feel it should have been longer). Had she got off, chances are we would be experiencing Ferguson type riots tonight, but thankfully all is peaceful except for the usual crimes going on.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine

The MSM are complaining about racism, but at the same time fuel the fire. I dont get it.

That’s because the media wants stories with racial tension because it sells papers. That’s one reason. The media wants controversial stories.

I read a book recently that claims the famous Jack the Ripper serial killer was an invention of the tabloid media back in the time of that killer. And it definitely wasn't one killer, but a few.

The story was hyped up by the press just to sell papers.

That's what they do today

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm honestly surprised that she's not the weekly champion of ATS.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

She should have gotten life or the death penalty.

She got off too easy.

Damn shame.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

I think your post might be transphobic but I am bad with the ‘ics’ And ‘ism’. There is no reason for gender if the liberals press really believed the 💩 that they are shoveling.

Woke language should have read : They walked into their wrong apartment and killed them.

Did you see the victims brother who said that she shouldn’t serve time and should give her life to Christ then asked for and received permission to hug her. POWERFUL VIDEO.

The brother is a better person than I am, no dignity-no doubt

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine

"Prosecutors introduced text messages sent by the former officer that show her making offensive statements. In the texts, Guyger jokes about Martin Luther King Jr.’s death, mocks her black colleagues and discusses a dog that her friend warns “may be racist.”

“It’s okay.. I’m the same,” Guyger wrote back about the dog, just days before she fatally shot 26-year-old Botham Jean in his Dallas apartment on Sept. 6, 2018."

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If the situation was reversed, and it was the victim who went in the wrong apartment thinking it was his, and shot this lady cop, what would HIS sentence have been? Just 10 years? I think not.

top topics

join