It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Did Time Begin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have been hearing all of my life, some form of the expression, "from the beginning of time". Well I have been thinking about that, and wondering just when are they talking about?

From when man was studying evolution, and discovered that any sort of life form probably started out as a single molecule sort of a being, living in the ocean - from the estimated time that would have been?

From before that? Is it Earthly time? Is the time that clocks and/or calenders were invented, or maybe when the cycle of the moon started to mean something to ancient peoples as far as the passage of time?

It seems as if that simple expression could mean so many different things. Does anyone have an idea as to just what that expression is really referring to?

[edit on 3/6/2005 by CyberKat]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
For me, the beginning of time was September 13th 1979. That's when I was born. As far as I know, everything before that is made up.

Urn

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
well, i think that somone using the expression "since the begining of time", is usually reffering to the begining of recorded history (aural or otherwise).

but technically space-time started with the big bang, so it would litteraly mean "since the begining of the universe".

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You have to ask yourself "The beginning of what time?"

Time was then, is now, and will be in the future. Man will come and go but time will always be there. Sure, you can say that time began at the point of the "big bang". But, was that big bang to create our galaxy or the entire universe? And, there had to be time before the big bang. It didn't just "happen".

Just like the universe, which has no beginning and no end, neither does time.

The only time you really have to worry about is the time that has been given to you...becase that we know for sure doesnt last. But then again, we could be wrong about that too.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I dont think time ever began. I dont even think it exists. Our time is based on the Sun and our planet. Time is basically just a measurement like inches and yards and both are man-made. So time is basically only existent to us as far as I know. Im sure another civilization in another solar system would have time too but what I really mean is based on my beliefs that God created us, time is non existent to him.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Agreeing with the above post, time is a concept with no real foundation. It's sort of a theory of measurement, but if you truly believe time doesn't exist, then how can it?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
I have been hearing all of my life, some form of the expression, "from the beginning of time". Well I have been thinking about that, and wondering just when are they talking about?

From when man was studying evolution, and discovered that any sort of life form probably started out as a single molecule sort of a being, living in the ocean - from the estimated time that would have been?

From before that? Is it Earthly time? Is the time that clocks and/or calenders were invented, or maybe when the cycle of the moon started to mean something to ancient peoples as far as the passage of time?

It seems as if that simple expression could mean so many different things. Does anyone have an idea as to just what that expression is really referring to?

[edit on 3/6/2005 by CyberKat]

hmmmm it was about tea time... Yes that's it about 4:30pm

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
I dont think time ever began. I dont even think it exists. Our time is based on the Sun and our planet. Time is basically just a measurement like inches and yards and both are man-made.

Couldn't it be possible that time really does exist? I mean, so many people, especially now a days are constantly rushing from here to there, such a hectic life so many lead.

And most of the reason for it seems to be based around the clock.

Could it be that time is in or of the fourth dimention, and we are evolving to where perhaps the 3rd and 4th dimention are starting to overlap?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
time never began we invented it as a way to help ourselfs, so i suppose it began when we first decided to run things regularly or couple 1000 years ago.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
time never began we invented it as a way to help ourselfs, so i suppose it began when we first decided to run things regularly or couple 1000 years ago.

Time was always there....

For all of you that say Time is a man made thing i would have to disagree. Its not man made, the word "time" is man made....time has always been there, we jsut decided to one day start calling it "time".

same with inches and any measurement for that matter....the word inches is man made, but the actual distance has always been there.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
yes but does it exist??? we have clocks that measure the 24 hour cycle but they dont proove time exists do they?

imagine the universe exists time does not, the universe still goes on gravity moves universe and i think what time is to us is a measurement of gravity effect on universe, so i think that says time dont exist just gravity which we measure with our clocks as it moves the planets and everything else. hope that made sense

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

yes but does it exist??? we have clocks that measure the 24 hour cycle but they dont proove time exists do they?

Duh! Clocks are just machines running on their own crankable mechanism or battery... They don't have any link with the so-called realities of duration or time!

All that scientist mentality gets people so blinded from the fact that it's not with the universe that humans interact, but with CONCEPTS. You need to go out of your science classes a little bit and study non-Platonician philosophy.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well you see, back when I was a kid... we used to walk backwards through 10 inches of snow uphill
and one day we were walking and a stick fell outta the sky, and we was wondering where it came from ... and then I thought... it musta been that guy in the sky... he musta threw it .. and then we gots thinking.. how did he know I was gonna be there... especially if I can'ts see em ... he must have pretty good eye sight and awesome timing... because one second sooner and bam! it woulda hit me on the noggin ...

seriously though... the question you might wanna try asking is... When did WE as humans NOTICE time...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The scientific answer would be that time started with the Big Bang.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think it started before that, because something had to be there for it to Bang.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluePostman
I think it started before that, because something had to be there for it to Bang.

And how long was the time interval between the something before it and the big bang?

I forget, how long is a year on Pluto in earth years?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Time is all relative. Time could have started longer then or b4 us for some planets out there.

Yes time exhists it is affected by gravity. Like everything else out there.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You know, if there's a God, he could have created us with everything we have now, AS IT IS, including the memoies, leaving us with 1 second of time or less.....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Time is just a tool, used by man, to organize our lives. With time we tell the changing of the seasons, the time of the day and figure out how long it will be before our pregnant wife delivers a beautiful child.

Man did not create it. We did not decide on the lunar cycle or our rotation around the sun. We did not decide when the seasons would change or the rains would come.

We simply understood that they would, gave it a name, and adopted it to serve our needs.

Time is an ever changing condition that involves all of the universe around you. In our short lifespans though the shifts really don't affect us.

Unless were late for work that is

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well I would say the milli milli second after big bang.

Before Big Bang, there was singularity, no change. After that there was change, atoms begin to collide, chemical reactions happen and galaxies began to form.

Surf

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join