It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new gun for UK police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i was reading this is the star
about police getting new guns that can penetrate armour but still not come through the target.

HK something

anyone else know about this?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
HK MP7?
PDW?
Would make sense for the UK to have it since its small light weight and not exactly a big assed killing machine.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
thats it i think

said they are getting around 300+

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
thats it i think

said they are getting around 300+

Is a nice weapon.
A bit bigger than your average military pistol and fires fully auto.
Can be fired like a rifle or pistol.
Is very nice.
Like most HK things.

RAB

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I think the UK cops should get the HK G36s, 5.56 and selinced doing a raid at night why wake up next door :-)

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
At close range, wouldnt the 5.56 just go through the target without killing and possibly injure someone else? Need a round that will kill with one hit.

RAB

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ruled By Secrecy
At close range, wouldnt the 5.56 just go through the target without killing and possibly injure someone else? Need a round that will kill with one hit.

Remember seeing a few years ago a plastic very high speed round the round will kill anyone/ Have also seen it go clean thought a car widescreen

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Yes ive read an article on this i cant find a link think it might be the M7

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thought I'd just post some info on the MP7

world.guns.ru...

The MP-7 layouted as a compact submachine gun, with magazine being inserted into pistol grip, with folding forward grip and telescoped buttstock, but it designed to fire special, high velocity ammunition, 4.6x30mm, that looks like scaled down rifle round. That ammunition is unique to the MP-7.

To be honest its nice to see the armed police getting the very best, with terrorism in britain they need all the equipment they can get.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Heres some mre info on it and other HK weapons...
www.heckler-koch.de...
And dont worry UK SO19 always get the best.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Which Police district is getting new pistols?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Which Police district is getting new pistols?

Ministry of Defence Police.
They are getting MP7's.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
"I think the UK cops should get the HK G36s, 5.56 and selinced doing a raid at night why wake up next door :-)"

There're several reasons why cops wouldn't use any gun that firs the 5.56mm NATO (Rem .223) round as their primary firearm.

First, as our colleagues mentioned, the 5.56 NATO round is very high velocity, and regardless of the configuration of the bullet itself, would penetrate just about any interior wall, with the possibility of injuring or killing bystanders.

Second, there are very few pistols which can fire the 5.56 NATO round (the Thompson Contender comes to mind) and the recoil is so severe that it would be almost impossible to retain the sight picture for a second shot.

I owned a 5.56 NATO carbine and have also fired the Thompson Contender in 5.56 NATO; it is simply not a handgun suited to anyone but slow-speed silhouette target shooters.

And, of course, carrying around a carbine on a beat or even while walking around doing mundane police work is impractical and very intimidating to many of the civilians cops much work with.

Finally, because of the velocity of the 5.56 NATO round, there is no way that it can be suppressed in flight. Although you could suppress the muzzle blast, the fact that the bullet is supersonic means that there will be a sonic 'crack' as it moves.

Although many pistol rounds can be down-loaded to subsonic range, if a rifle cartridge is downloaded to a subsonic muzzle velocity, it would be extremely inaccurate even with a longer barrel, and would not have enough energy to cycle an autoloading carbine, whether with delayed blowback actuation or recoil actuation.

This is one of the reasons that both the Fabrique and Heckler PDWs feature a newer design of ammunition. You may note that the Fabrique P90 has a Vm of about 900 ft/sec, but its abillity to defeat armor is good to about 50 meters. The Heckler MP-7 has a better range at which armor can be defeated (200 m versus 50 m) but its Vm is so high that it simply can't be down-loaded for sonic suppression.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Off_The_Street]

RAB

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
"I think the UK cops should get the HK G36s, 5.56 and selinced doing a raid at night why wake up next door :-)"

That statement was more of a joke than a REAL idea!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Maybe it's the UCP? the MP-7 is a little bit big and the German police (I think) and Bundeswehr requested it...

www.world.guns.ru...

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
www.mod.uk...
......I think this solves this....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They made a good choice - now I just need to mug one of these SOB's to get myself an MP7. =P

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow, MP-7, it had to be the MP-7 since the UCP is still in prototype stage...interesting development, doesn't some US security forces us the P-90? in Iraq as well?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Wow, MP-7, it had to be the MP-7 since the UCP is still in prototype stage...interesting development, doesn't some US security forces us the P-90? in Iraq as well?

P-90 is the competitor with the MP7, the US FBI use the MP7 as well as the P-90.
Its all about perferance.
The P-90 can punch armour but might not stop a man, where as the MP-7 can stop a man but might not punch through armour.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The small, lightweight MP7A1 (less than four pounds loaded) is capable of penetrating modern body armor, including that of the former Soviet Bloc special forces, now the standard NATO test target. (CRISAT)
www.hkdefense.us...

If you'd read up on the MP7A1 it has a damn good record against armour. They made the MP7A1, for Counter Terrorist work. Where terrorists might actually be wearing body armour. It's made to go through it, every shot or as near to a 100% record as possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join