It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Bushkrieg: Shock and Awe in America

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well unfortunately the only way the current global system will change (hopefully for the better) is if it starts pinching into the life of Americans. There was no compulsion for global systemic change when the US government was destroying Haiti or when Reagan was using terrorists to destroy Nicaragua. There was no compulsion when millions of children die every year from starvation. But when the life of the average American starts being noticably and adversely effected by this system we'll see change alright.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I understand your point, and I appreciate the cynicism. It's fully justified. Even so, I don't think it's fair to say that the rest of the world has to wait for America to do the good things that make the changes that so many of us want. We're not the only ones who can bring down hostile regimes or ship humanitarian aid. We are certainly more willing to do it than many of our neighbors, but that can always change.

It's quite likely that we're about to enter a decade of comparative isolationism. As the balance of power tips here at home, we could see a succession of Democrat administrations that simply bring the troops home and de-fund overseas efforts. It's a campaign pitch that will play well in most of the country in 2008.

Even if we do turtle up, it's not likely that the scandal and corruption will taper off. The leadership of both parties have had too much access to the Federal checkbook for too long. As a historian, I'd be willing to say that the only thing that will slow thier greed will be the coming economic down-turn which anyone with a pulse can see coming. If we are lucky, the hard times may bring a wave of reformers in to office that can undo some...some...of the damage.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Haha too bad their plan will backfire. hundreds of millinos of rioting Americans will create a civil war that will tear the country apart forever. never to stand as it once did. That is what will happen if this supposed Fascist state coems into play. Honestly though I do not believe it will become that bad as many think.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Honestly though I do not believe it will become that bad as many think.

I'm with you there. That's why I wrote and published on the subject. I don't see anyone else trying to make the positive point (in print) that we can get past this and move on to better things.

It's easy to get bogged down in the gloom-and-doom forecasting. It's harder to demonstrate just how we can survive the experience and become better for it. I have always been an optimist. The glass is half full, and I can prove it. In the case of America, we may be down but we're not out. Not even by a long shot.

The question we need to ask ourselves is, what are we willing to do to make things better? Are we willing to go that far if future success depends on a civil war? A lot of people had that same conversation in the summer of 1861. It's not an easy thing to wrestle with. My only hope is that we are still capable of having that discussion.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If George W. Bush declares himself king or dictator, I think we will have something to worry about. In the meantime console yourself with the fact that in about 18 months, GW will be slowly morphing into a lame duck and following that, there will be an election.

He doesn't have to declare himself dictator to be a dictator. It's pretty obvious that 'democracy' is nothing more than a thinly veiled dictatorship.
Only difference is you get to pick a new face for your dictator every 4 yrs.

It's a sham, voting changes nothing, all it does is perpetuate the illusion that you have some kind of control over your dictators.

Fascism has modernized and learned well from it's past, it no longer has to use force on it's own people. The 'majority' are easy to control without force. The gov now uses psychologists instead of storm troopers but it's the same result, of which we haven't even seen the full results yet.

So Bush will be gone, so what? You think an election will change anything?

Maybe if you have a very shallow superficial view of world affairs then you may notice 'change'. To me it's the same old crap I've seen my whole life, and read about in history. Voting changes nothing. The only thing that changes is the temperature of the water, and it's getting close to boiling. Don't be a frog...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
my fear is the democrats take office and use the power bush gave the government. Doesnt cross anybodies mind it seems. You think about all the power bush is creating, now think about all that power when the tables turn in 08. Sadly democrats and republicans both agree there should be a war on terror, but where its fought is an issue.

Where do you think the democrats will be fighting terrorists if not iraq? At home. You can start kissing those freedoms goodbye. Both parties are becoming more and more radical. Republicans are creating this massive power for the government, and in 08, the democrats are going to abuse it.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
See there, when a Federal courthouse or a branch of a state Department of Law enforcemnt goes up in flames as a result of such abuse, I sure hope their plan will be to ease up on their tyranny as opposed enforcing it harder. any corruptor will sure have hell to pay if they decide to continue to abuse our country and tamper with our freedom.

The thing is, there really is not much abuse as of yet. Surely it will not get that far, but well, nothing is certain, that is directed at both our people and the elected representatives.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The thing is, there really is not much abuse as of yet. Surely it will not get that far, but well, nothing is certain, that is directed at both our people and the elected representatives.

You are oh so right about that. We haven't seen the harsh treatment yet. Everything we complain about now is the little stuff. Early moves in a much longer game.

Those who say that your vote doesn't matter have already given up. They might be ready to head for the hills with a handful of beans a fistful of bullets, but our history shows that only ten percent of the population is likely to fight...if it comes to that. The rest will collaborate or simply keep their heads down.

Your vote is only half the equation. Somebody whom you can really trsut has to get up the nerve to risk assassination and run for office. the, you have to get up the nerve to risk arrest and all that comes with it go out and vote for that person. both you and the candidate(s) have to be brave in the face of what you know will be certain brutality.

The republi-crats in power today are banking on your spineless-ness when the time comes. they been patient with you. They've spent a lot of time and money to condition you and your offspring to think that the glass is half empty and always will be....without their help. If you get outta line, you know what'll happened. Within ten years, they'll have made it so "rewarding" to be compliant that most won't know any other way to see things.

It's thinking like that which made me give up my anonymity to become an author, essayist, and radio guy. It's worth noting that we still out-number them, and we posessess many skills and civic attributes that they've lost touch with. It has been said that anyting worth having is worth stealing. Think about that while you watch them steal from you. If that's not worth saying something about, and maybe a little doing...We should all hope they build some very large gulags so that nobody will have to feel left out.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Put it this way, the politicians are not farmers, carpenters, foundation layers, or security people. they are not engineers, or doctors. The only skills they possess are making other people believe they are necessary to lead them. Anyone ever notice that? A damn crafty skill indeed, but only necessary to help them survive, and not the people they lead.

The workers are the ones who when united, can survive without these corrupt politicians. And I think it is high time we figure out a way to put out a commercial that says just that!

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I had a long conversation with defcon last night, and all in all the system hasn't failed us, we have failed. Ultimately our duty is but one action when it comes to politics and such. This one thing is standing up.

It doesnt have to be for the same thing, just have to stand. There is a phrase "United we stand, divided we fall". I think we have overanalysed the meaning of this. Just because we all dont agree doesnt mean we arent united. We are only divided when we fail to see eachother as americans which is common these days sadly. Your no longer an american your a democrat or a republican. Your a thug or a prep or something else. Your white or your black or your something else. In the end though, thats not really you. You are american (assuming you live here). We are truly divided because we dont view eachother as americans but something else. We are all americans, thats the true definition for unity when it comes to the US.

Back to your one duty though. Your one duty is to stand up. I dont mean stand up for what is right or wrong in the public eye. I mean ask yourself, "what do I believe is the better choice here?". and when you can answer that, stand for it. Forget all the taboo's this society has created, stand for what you feel is best. Represent you again. Dont represent the democrats or the republicans, represent you. Stand for what you believe in and let the cards fall where they will.

Civil disobediance is the true way to the public deciding the laws. We are always in control and its never too late to have otherwise. "Somethings worth is only measured by what your willing to sacrifice in order to obtain it."

[edit on 1-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
[edit on 1-9-2006 by Heckman]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The workers are the ones who when united, can survive without these corrupt politicians. And I think it is high time we figure out a way to put out a commercial that says just that!

I think you just did. Every time we speak intelligently to a group of people, there's a chanc that somebody will hear us and rub a few brain cells together. That is the most basic reason why power-mongers don't like that whole 1st amendment thing.

Even so, a well-made point is not enough. You've got to be ready to make that point again...and again...and again. Actions may speak louder tha nwords, but nobody sees most of your actions. They hear or read most of your words.

Here in my home town, roughly 14 percent of the registered voters turned out for the primaries. By default, that meansthat 86 percent of the legal aged voter in my home town couldn't be bothered to make a decision that could change their collective futures.

On the day we were set to vote, it was raining cats and dogs, and it had been for nearly two weeks. On local t.v., a news camera caught one of our politicians saying, "Gotta love the rain." As it turned out ,he won his seat by a slim margine. 481 people bothered to get wet so that he could raise our property taxes. 412 good citizens got slightly damp in an effort to stop him. Everybody else stayed home and ordered out for pizza.

They serve us, or we serve them.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
They serve us, or we serve them.

I only wish that more people could see it that way. That's the way that it was designed by the Founders, and that's the way it should be. We pay for everything they do, not to mention we also pay their salaries every year. We deserve nothing less than the ability to tell them the way things are going to be. They either vote our way, or we impeach them .

Well, that's the way it was supposed to be anyway.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
I only wish that more people could see it that way. That's the way that it was designed by the Founders, and that's the way it should be. We pay for everything they do, not to mention we also pay their salaries every year. We deserve nothing less than the ability to tell them the way things are going to be. They either vote our way, or we impeach them .

As a society, we stopped communicating with our leaders a long time ago. I know this for a fact because I used to work for a U.S. Senator, and I saw what passed for mail in that office. In today's world, if ten percent of the voting public wrote a latter to their favorite Senator or otehr Federal official, they would think they'd been punk'd. They'd be so shocked by the unexpected outpouring that they'd have to call a staff meeting to decide on a course of action.

If fifty percent of us went to the polls in 2008 to vote, we could have any President we wanted. The Federal elections commission would have a spazz, and the newspapers wouldn't stop talking about for a month. As it stands, our last few Presidents have been elected with less than twenty nine percent of the vote. that means that seventy-one percent of the registered voters stayed home.

This could still be our country, if we were of a mind to take responsibility for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Let's be clear about what we mean here. The potential for us to become our own worst enemy is quite real. As we fight the rise of fanatical forces, we risk becoming the very thing that we despise.

Let me give you a few fragments from the scenario that I outlined in my book. Between now and the end of 2008, it's possible that we can witness a major sea change in terms of party dominance in the House and the Senate. As today's minority party becomes dominant, they may find that they have to be even more agressive in their tactics, just to stay in control.

If they want to advance their agenda, they'll have to push even harder than teh current administration does. Why? Because the 'new' minority party will have enough expiernece and resentment to resist a lot of political punishment before they are brought to heel. Whoever becomes President in January of 2009 will haveto oversee this transformation with more than a little diligance.

The very nature of the Presidency will be changed by the end of 2012. With their agenda under way and very slowly gathering steam, the party then in power will see the need to transfer even more (broad) powers to the Executive so that they can break the courts, hobble the State Department, and bring that obstreperous minitory to it's knees.

The person who takes office in January of 2013 may not inherit a Presidency that we today (in 2006) would call "balanced." Many of the measures in place at that time will likely be justified as "necessary due to the current state of emergency." If that sounds familitar to you historians out there...that's because...it is. Once upon a time, the Federal government invoked certain harsh measures during the period of 1942-1945, which were eventually rescinded.

During this period (2008-2014), you'll see any number of threats used as the reasoning behind some of the most shocking Constitutional roll-backs in our history. The war on terror overseas. The war on terror at home. Illegal immigration. Illegal drugs. Illegal firearms. Domestic terrorism. Gang-related violence. These are just the obvious choices. The real list will be much longer.

Knowing what is likely to come, we should think about devoting some of our considerable brain power to what should be done about it.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Even if we do turtle up, it's not likely that the scandal and corruption will taper off. The leadership of both parties have had too much access to the Federal checkbook for too long. As a historian, I'd be willing to say that the only thing that will slow thier greed will be the coming economic down-turn which anyone with a pulse can see coming. If we are lucky, the hard times may bring a wave of reformers in to office that can undo some...some...of the damage.

Well said.

The world is facing several crises, including: climate change; untreatable pandemic diseases; fresh water depletion; and cataclysmic geophysical activity.

At the same time, the USA is fronting for a corporate world government, and corporate looting of the planet as it "burns."

It will be interesting to see where the chips have fallen when the dust and ice settle.

...Great contributions everyone. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The question remains, what are we going to do about these things? I just got back from talking with a small group of local writers. We talked about the importance of activist writing. As I have proven through my own actions, we can still tell a good story that is wrapped in as many "messages" as we can weave in to the backstory and plotlines of whatever we publish. It's quite possible to give somebody a little food for thought without letting them know that they are being schooled.

It's not dishonest, and its not disingenuous. It's called being subtle. We are contronted by loud peole everywhere we turn, anybody and everybody it seems is willing to rant on their favorite subject. How many of us are willing to speak calmly and with intelligence? We know what bothers us, but can we find the words to convince people without twisting their arms off?

Obviously, I think the answer is yes. In the next year, I hope to release another book on my pet subject. In the mean time, I will be writing letters to my local news paper, and I'll be lurking on a number of sites like ATS.

What will the rest of you do?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Amazing. The people of the great 'ol USA, know that their government is cheating them. The Americans know that their President knew something about 911 and let it happened, that they are bringing their country, their social security (funny this would be going to hell after all the investments in other "security" needs.. ) And cheating them seriously. And yet.. nothing. NOTHING can be done. Or so it seems? What will the people of the Nation do to reclaim the country? What will history say in 20 years?

Land of the free. I don't think so..
We need a land of solutions.

I pray for the USA. And countless other countries raped by taxes and the WTO.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Let's be clear about what we mean here. The potential for us to become our own worst enemy is quite real. As we fight the rise of fanatical forces, we risk becoming the very thing that we despise.

Let me give you a few fragments from the scenario that I outlined in my book. Between now and the end of 2008, it's possible that we can witness a major sea change in terms of party dominance in the House and the Senate. As today's minority party becomes dominant, they may find that they have to be even more agressive in their tactics, just to stay in control.

If they want to advance their agenda, they'll have to push even harder than teh current administration does. Why? Because the 'new' minority party will have enough expiernece and resentment to resist a lot of political punishment before they are brought to heel. Whoever becomes President in January of 2009 will haveto oversee this transformation with more than a little diligance.

The very nature of the Presidency will be changed by the end of 2012. With their agenda under way and very slowly gathering steam, the party then in power will see the need to transfer even more (broad) powers to the Executive so that they can break the courts, hobble the State Department, and bring that obstreperous minitory to it's knees.

The person who takes office in January of 2013 may not inherit a Presidency that we today (in 2006) would call "balanced." Many of the measures in place at that time will likely be justified as "necessary due to the current state of emergency." If that sounds familitar to you historians out there...that's because...it is. Once upon a time, the Federal government invoked certain harsh measures during the period of 1942-1945, which were eventually rescinded.

During this period (2008-2014), you'll see any number of threats used as the reasoning behind some of the most shocking Constitutional roll-backs in our history. The war on terror overseas. The war on terror at home. Illegal immigration. Illegal drugs. Illegal firearms. Domestic terrorism. Gang-related violence. These are just the obvious choices. The real list will be much longer.

Knowing what is likely to come, we should think about devoting some of our considerable brain power to what should be done about it.

Question:

Dew NE off da memmberz rhun spell-czhec okazionaly?

Hint:

When you try a valid post and/or rebuttal, to make it APPEAR valid, CONSIDER running a spell-check program...heh?

I AM, from HERE ON OUT known as "SNOOCHIES the SPELLCHECK Nazi", AND YOU shall address me as such.

YOU have BEEN forewarned. I will hunt YOU down and RIP apart your comments on spelling AND grammar ALONE! They will hold ZERO validity until I deem them error free!

The ONLY LEEWAY that will be forgiven is if your PRIMARY language is NOT proper English.

L.D.F.O. = Look Da F@ck Out! STSN (Snooch The spelling Nazi) HAS arrived!
"teh" = THE
"agressive" = Aggressive
"expiernece" = Experience
"haveto" = Have to
"diligance" = Diligence
"familitar" = Familiar

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Oh yeah...

"minitory" = MINORITY

new topics

top topics