It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS chat is down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
.............................................................................................................................
OMG..................................
Well...thanks for the early warning at least...*major sarcasm*
Now to find another chat room...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Why don't you quit being a lazy ass and instantly ban ANYONE who breaks the rules in the chat? The problem will quickly be solved. Instead, the staff appears to be acting like pansies and just kicking or temporarily suspending abusers of the chat. There is no reason to take it down for everyone when it is only a few who are abusing it.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
NO, say it aint so, I love chat.

I have my doubts about these aledged claims of adult content being spoken, I've only seen that once.

Why do you have to take it away from all of us, why dont you just ban those who are doing it as said above.

If this kind of thing keeps happening I'm gonna start chanting
"DOWN WITH MODS".

Please bring it back, of pretty please with ice cream on top.

[edit on 3/6/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Maybe we shold have rotating mods so that none of them get too power hungry...not saying that happened here...but just in case

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer
Why don't you quit being a lazy ass and instantly ban ANYONE who breaks the rules in the chat? The problem will quickly be solved. Instead, the staff appears to be acting like pansies and just kicking or temporarily suspending abusers of the chat. There is no reason to take it down for everyone when it is only a few who are abusing it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're keeping it closed now just because of you. At least that's my vote. Now people have someone to blame.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I just had an idea, why not give permanent passes to those members who do not do these things, and if they start, warn them, and if they do it again revoke their pass.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
If this kind of thing keeps happening I'm gonna start chanting
"DOWN WITH MODS".

Can you hear the whistle yet? That's high speed air passing over the grooves on the nose cones of various air dropped munitions. hehe

I do think it's a shame to kill the chat feature. I don't use it, but I know how many people do. It would have been better to continue with the procedure of permanently banning those individuals who couldn't keep their conversations out of the gutter. This method punishes everybody for the actions of a few.

Maybe there should be an ATS 'love den' or something, where all these romeos and juliets can hang out and woo each other without getting banned and without closing the doors of skull and bones for the rest of us (er..the rest of you).

link   
I hate when people ruin it for everyone. Happens at school all the time. I hate when people do this. Without ats chat I have nothing to do. Thanks all you people who did it. THANKS

link   

Originally posted by UnMature
Maybe we shold have rotating mods so that none of them get too power hungry...

You're calling SkepticOverload power hungry?

I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear that.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer
There is no reason to take it down for everyone when it is only a few who are abusing it.

There is every reason.

The spirit and intent of ATS has always been (hopefully) for like-minded adults, or those who desire to behave as adults, to gather and engage in discussion and debate on important and interesting topics. The ownership and top-tier management take this seriously and expend considerable effort to make sure ATS is a reliable and inspiring environment for the intended purpose. Part of our our role in ensure this environment is occasional review of aspects such as chat and the manner in which they are used. In short, I.m appalled.

It seems that a majority (more than 50%) desire to abuse the features and services provided by this site as a playground for prurient games and solicitation and engagement of sexually charged exchanges. And I am referring to private exchanges, to make things clear.

I have seen repeated conduct that places AboveTopSecret.com in harms way, as a provider of an unchecked channel for possible predatory advances. These actions are so widespread, that immediate bannings of all parties involved is somewhat difficult at the moment. You can be certain that logs are being reviewed, and the worst offenders will be denied access to ATS (in at least one case, we may need to involve authorities).

I paid a not insignificant amount of cash for this chat application, after a lengthy review of possible chat alternatives for ATS. I'm enraged beyond expression at the complete and utter lack of respect for the people that make this site possible (all staff included), in the actions of well over half the people that use chat.

Chat is offline for now. If/when it returns, there will likely be significant changes.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This doesn't have anything to do with the mods. They are all great people. It has to do with the people who abused ats chat and got it taken away from us. I hate this.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Why don't you name and shame the offenders, so we can spit and hiss at them.. I'd gladly spend some points just so I can send them abusive U2U's..

I think I have too much free time on my hands.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
I hate when people ruin it for everyone. Happens at school all the time. I hate when people do this. Without ats chat I have nothing to do. Thanks all you people who did it. THANKS

Kinda like playing a game of football, and someone gets mad over a group call, and goes home? And he's also the owner of the football, so he takes that too and ruins it for everyone?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
In response to SO's information..

That's very disturbing. I had no idea ATS Chat was being used by pederasts (I'm assuming since why else would you get the authorities involved?). Sigh..I suppose there's no such thing as common sense..it is in fact, quite uncommon.

Sorry for doubting you guys, I had no idea the scope of the problem was so enormous. 50%...that just blows my mind (as I imagine it did yours SO). Well, root out and censure the scum, and put the authorities on the tail of any who would use this space to lure unsuspecting youngsters.

I'm really upset with the human race right now...

My ride to Alpha Centauri was supposed to be here by now...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

(in at least one case, we may need to involve authorities).

Wow, it was that bad, ok for something like this chat should be down temporarily, but not permanently.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I blame Cpr, because I can

well, I guess its time to say goodbye to ATS chat, oh how I will miss ye

R.I.P

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mickmeaney
Why don't you name and shame the offenders, so we can spit and hiss at them.. I'd gladly spend some points just so I can send them abusive U2U's..

I agree, the offenders should be outed. Of course they probably won't...

If any mods want to review the logs and send me a list of names, I'd be more than happy to saddle up, strap on my pliers, and go trophy hunting...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Got to agree with Overlord on this.

I hope we can resolve this some time.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
50%...that just blows my mind (as I imagine it did yours SO).

To clarify... it's 50% of private messages in chat. I may not have made that clear in my anger-inspired typing.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think apologies from some posters in this thread are in order, given their offensive response to a vital but difficult decision such as this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join