It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highest paid teachers strike again!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: JAGStorm

Here is the actual starting salaries for Illinois public school teachers..

“The teachers' salaries will be raised incrementally under H.B. 2078, from $32,076 for the 2020-21 school year to $34,576 in 2021-22, $37,076 in 2022-23 and $40,000 in 2023-24.

The current minimum teacher salary ranges from only $9,000 to $11,000, depending on the individual teacher's level of education.”

Those greedy monsters... expecting to make 40 grand a year for a job that requires college...

The horror..

Lol

If you read my post, I state that starting Teachers do not get paid enough at the expense of the high salaries of the teachers who have been there for twenty years. I would bet that under the new proposal, the seasoned teachers get a bigger raise and a big pension increase. Meanwhile the new teachers get piddly squat.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Being prepared to strike is how you get decent conditions.
It was the same with my old Union.
The bosses knew better than to try and stiff us over our pensions and pay rises.

It's surprising how many people don't see this simple truth.

Yes that was true at that time, this is not the same.

These teachers are some of the best paid in the nation. Their strike does not have merit, it is just greed.
If we were talking about the lowest paid teachers in the nation, sure.

The pay they get is a result of their willingness to strike.
They gain nothing by softening their position so that their pay is eaten away by inflationary pressures.

When big business defend executive salaries it's always along the lines of "You have to pay top wages for top people."
It's no different with teachers.

Hell, in Chicago they should get combat pay judging from some of the threads in ATS

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
here's my interpretation of everyone

"screw teachers they should live in misery, bahumbug"

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm all for teachers, but we have to look at the whole picture. That picture includes the taxpayer.

Illinois is unique as they are experiencing things faster than the rest of the nation, but it gives us an inside look at what's to come. Yes teachers deserve a decent pay (which they are getting in Chicago) but people also deserve to be able to live without being taxed to death.

In the end they are shooting themselves in the foot. Look at fast food. What happened, self checkout. Pretty soon robots/ai and the internet will be teaching all our kids.

edit on 1-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

If they went to college for 4 to 6 years to qualify for a job they knew wouldn't pay as well as they feel it should, it's on them.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

If they went to college for 4 to 6 years to qualify for a job they knew wouldn't pay as well as they feel it should, it's on them.

OK... I bet you were for the tax cuts for the Billionaires and corporations yes? Why did they need it? If they set up shop in a country with high taxes i guess that was on them wasnt it?

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I bet you're one of those people that believe raising taxes on corporations wouldn't cause the corporations to pass the bill onto the consumer.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You want to know what is nuts...allowing the Big Oil CEOs to gouge the American people with inflated gasoline prices. Who cars about some teachers striking. They would not be striking if everything did not cost so god dam much!

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

You want to know what is nuts...allowing the Big Oil CEOs to gouge the American people with inflated gasoline prices. Who cars about some teachers striking. They would not be striking if everything did not cost so god dam much!

Bwhhahahah!!!!

The American people pay less for gasoline than pretty much everyone...

www.statista.com...

And everything costs so damn much in these cities because of the god damn taxes like chicagos 10% sales tax..

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The teachers in Bossier Parish tried this. Many gave us a pity party story about how they would finally be able to afford braces for their kids, send them to driver's ed, etc. if we passed a 40% property tax increase on all home and business owners in the Parish. FOIA is a bitch though, and I did a lot of research for my employer when we started a PAC to stop the increase. The one that could finally afford braces for her kid with this proposed $7k a year raise (as if most ins't paid for already by dental insurance they receive) was making $72,000 a year, or every 8 months I should say, and her husband was a teacher making nearly as much. The one that needed a raise to put her son through driver's ed, a $500 course, makes $65,000 a year/8 months.

I don't have any faith in the Chicago people, but Bossier Parish voted the tax increase bill down by a vote 75% to 25% in an election that had the most votes ever.

The only dumb ones in this were the teachers. They told us we don't appreciate all their hard work for refusing their raise. We couldn't get it through their thick skulls that we didn't vote down a raise, we voted down a 40% property tax increase.
edit on 1-10-2019 by LSU2018 because: *teachers

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This has to stop. Yes big companies gouge people, that does not mean it is OK for teachers to do so.
In fact I would hope that we could hold teachers to a higher standard than oil CEO's.

Yes they would be striking even when things were cheap. They have been striking for at least 25 years now there.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Im not even opposed to teachers being one of the highest paid occupations in our nation!

Buuuut..

Gonna need to see the performance that warrants it, in everything from the teachers on up. I am not impressed with the vast majority of public schools, and that gets worse as the years go on.

Honestly, it feels like the concepts from decades ago drive this perception that teachers are destitute. They have relatively low education costs as well as impressive earning potential should they utilize the summers and holidays to supplement income.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

The only dumb ones in this were the teachers. They told us we don't appreciate all their hard work for refusing their raise. We couldn't get it through their thick skulls that we didn't vote down a raise, we voted down a 40% property tax increase.

Good for your parish! I'm sick of the emotional blackmail. The fact that teachers would hold kids and parents hostage shows they do not care about the education of your kids at all. They only care about money. It is sick.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Teachers will never allow their paychecks to be adjusted by their performance.
We have already seen teachers changing test scores so they look good.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh, absolutely.

It seems like everything from the teachers themselves, to standardized testing, to curriculum, to common core is going about all of it all wrong.

I think someone else mentioned it too, but I foresee a future where technology makes most of this obsolete. Completely curated and carefully designed courses based on each and every individual child, including branches designed to explore interests and potential future occupations and hiring practices. How that actually takes shape could be a plethora of different forms.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
A teacher being able to buy a home in the community they teach in sounds like a good aim for building a strong community. It is ok for Biden to give Ukraine $1B for arms sales? How important is a good education for national security?

First the education has to be good. It's not. I would gladly give them whatever they wanted if they went back to being the kind of teachers the communities could look up to, as well as the kids. And get rid of the revised history, start teaching grammar again, and get back to writing everything in cursive. It's disappointing when I see a teacher's FB profile and he or she is out at a nightclub getting wasted with a caption that says "FCK YEAH I'M WASTED!"

I didn't like all the teachers in my school, but I liked most of them and every kid in the school could look up to them as parental figures. They also didn't tell you how to think when it came to opinions. They followed school policy, period.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
Teachers at the K-12 level in every city in this entire country are grossly underpaid. If it takes raising my property taxes to increase their pay where I live, I'm all for it.

Yeah, no. Kids still get bullied and the bullies don't get punished, the education is NOTHING like it used to be, the teachers are know-it-all arrogant twats, and they certainly don't deserve a raise. And this is coming from a very Conservative Parish.

Education
Research has shown that students entering this major have the lowest SAT scores, yet they still come out of the major with the highest grades. If that’s not an inclination that this is an easy major, I’m not sure what is. Many of the projects are fairly simple since the whole major is geared toward work with children.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JustJohnny

It's common knowledge cops are underpaid too.

Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone in any profession that doesn't believe they are underpaid.

Even burger flippers want $15 an hour.

Cops value their job. They work for the people and care about the people, therefore they can't stop work to strike like a teacher who loves the children so much they'd lessen the days of learning for those children just to make themselves heard.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Pun intended, or typo?

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: LSU2018

Good for your parish! I'm sick of the emotional blackmail. The fact that teachers would hold kids and parents hostage shows they do not care about the education of your kids at all. They only care about money. It is sick.

It was crazy. They're supposed to be the smart ones, but were acting like complete imbeciles. Very disappointing. Many were threatening us saying they'd shorten the school week to 3 days to compensate for what they weren't going to get. I mean, the kids would love it, but the teachers just weren't thinking. They were getting students involved and everything, which is illegal. We definitely made a statement that we wouldn't be bullied into voting for a tax increase though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join