It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Allows Cop to Use ‘Castle Doctrine’ Defense in Trial for Mistaken Apartment Killing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Civilly who's responsible solely Her or will the police department be sued she just came off a 14 hour shift . She will end up getting a lesser degree manslaughter charge and then it's all about the money .

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

She was just found guilty.

A Dallas jury has found former police Officer Amber Guyger guilty of murder for fatally shooting a neighbor who lived in the apartment directly above hers last year.

NPR

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Just breaking about 30 minutes ago. Guyger was found guilty of murder. The maximum sentence she can receive is Life.

Amber Guyger found guilty of murder at trial in fatal shooting of neighbor Botham Jean

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

That's going to be appealed and lowered . I bet the whole thing gets overturned .

edit on 10/1/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is very f'd up..too bad the guy who got slaughtered didn't shoot her first. I also wonder if the prosecution purposely overcharged her, so she will end up free? It definitely happens with LE.

(edit)
Woah!..guilty! I must say I'm surprised.
edit on 1-10-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

It wasn’t an over-charge at all. Her actions weren’t reckless, which is a key element of manslaughter. Her actions fit a murder charge.

More specifically, they fit somewhere between manslaughter and murder.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I believe her she was sexting paying attention to her phone and not where she was going The conviction wont stick .

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

My thoughts exactly. It was an accidental, intentional, killing. In the end I think a murder charge with a lighter sentence is more appropriate than a manslaughter charge.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

I believe her too.

She intended to kill Jean when she pulled her piece and shot him. That’s why it’s a murder conviction.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Agreed. The penalty for murder in Texas is as little as five years. She certainly isn’t going to cop a life sentence on this one. I think it’ll be fairly light.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
seems justice has prevailed
huzzah

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The jury got it right.

Manslaughter my azz. She didn't accidentally shot him. She very intentionally shot him, in his own home and she was trespassing, at the very least.

She didn't notice the missing door mat, the missing flower pot, both things she had outside her apartment....

The situation and the factors surrounding this murder are unfortunate, but it was still blatantly murder.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Just breaking about 30 minutes ago. Guyger was found guilty of murder. The maximum sentence she can receive is Life.

Amber Guyger found guilty of murder at trial in fatal shooting of neighbor Botham Jean

Good news.

Glad to see a murderer out of uniform and in prison.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I can't help but wonder what the discussion would be if the tables were turned, and the victim shot the cop.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I can't say for sure what would or would not have been allowed by a judge if this had been done by a person that wasn't a cop.
But it is ridiculous that she is allowed to use the Castle Doctrine as a defense when it was NOT HER HOME!
She entered another persons home and shot and killed them.

Maybe she was confused and entered the wrong apartment by mistake, but I think there is something fishy here. The apartment that she entered was on a different floor of the building than where her apartment is located, iirc. If she was not under the influence of some mind altering substance, I don't understand how this could have happened.

I don't buy for a second that this was a mistake. I think she was either drunk or on drugs, or intended to kill the guy for whatever reason. I would guess the "woopsie" castle doctrine defense was then utilized by her lawyers as the best chance to defend their client who knowingly murdered a man in cold blood. (Allegedly applies above, for legal purposes lol)

I'd be really curious to know if a tox screen was run on her, or to know why she chose to kill him, but we'll probably never know.
edit on 10/2/2019 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
She was just handed a 10-year sentence.

Courts Amber Guyger sentenced to 10 years in prison for murder of Botham Jean

A Dallas County jury sentenced Amber Guyger to 10 years in prison after convicting her of murdering her upstairs neighbor Botham Jean in his apartment last year.

edit on 2-10-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

That’s more than I thought she’d get. Hopefully it survives the inevitable appeal and sticks.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

That’s more than I thought she’d get. Hopefully it survives the inevitable appeal and sticks.

What do you think is the likelihood of appeal and/or reduction?

I read earlier serve 5 at most before parole, but I do not know the Texas legal system (and am frankly too tired to look).

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

10 YEARS!? 10 GOD DAMNED YEARS?

Where's the 20 to life everyone else is serving for the same crime?

'Better than nothing' isn't good enough.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

10 YEARS!? 10 GOD DAMNED YEARS?

Where's the 20 to life everyone else is serving for the same crime?

'Better than nothing' isn't good enough.

I don't disagree.

Or for the greater sentences for even less crime (where no one was actually, you know, killed), others have received.

Remember, though, apparently the *jury* gave this sentence.
edit on 2-10-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join