It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2019 is a deep solar minimum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

"Today, the sun racked up its 198th spotless day of the year. So far in 2019, the sun has been blank 73% of the time. This is the same percentage as the year 2008--previously the least sun-spotty year of the Space Age. If Solar Minimum continues to deepen, 2019 will soon claim the undisputed throne of Space Age spotlessness, marking it as a century-class minimum in solar activity."

Spaceweather

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Mon Sep 30 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: EXTAGS ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Oh, my God! What can we do to prevent this!?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ive often wondered how the interplay between a low solar minimum and climate change works. surely if we are heading for a little ice age due to the solar minimum but our climate is warming then someone somewhere has made a large error in their calculations?

yet again I didn't read it properly, (i do apologise in my defence i had adhd) so of course at this point the lack of solar activity has not gone on long enough to trigger a cool down.
edit on 21/03/2011 by eccentriclady because: to apologise for my lack of concentration and skim reading

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
Ive often wondered how the interplay between a low solar minimum and climate change works. surely if we are heading for a little ice age due to the solar minimum but our climate is warming then someone somewhere has made a large error in their calculations?

Solar minimum actually creates warming because it allows cosmic rays to bombard earth at much higher levels. It has been shown in multiple periods in the past. The cooling will happen just after the minimum. Unfortunately we are likely in a major minimum and maximum cosmic ray scenario right now so may have a very cool period after. Nothing that will wipe humanity out but plenty to allow the climate change whackos to continue blaming humans and making money off it.

link   
a reply to: whiteblack

Fascinating!!, Galileo started keeping sun spot records...4 centuries ago!

link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady

Climate change is a long-term thing, although there have been some theories put forth regarding "triggering" events and circumstances. A solar minimum combined with more water in the atmosphere from global warming -- and possibly some ill-timed large volcano eruptions -- just might cause reflective snowfall heavy enough to tip the whole thing back into ice age mode. But it would take some time.
edit on 30-9-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Solar minimum actually creates warming because it allows cosmic rays to bombard earth at much higher levels.
The theory is just the opposite, actually. Increased cosmic radiation is supposed to cause the formation of more clouds which in turn reduces temperatures. cosmosmagazine.com...
Doesn't seem that the theory has much evidence to support it though.

It has been shown in multiple periods in the past.
No it hasn't.

edit on 9/30/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is pretty simple. Lower Sun activity = Less heat. More Sun activity = more heat. Hence during major winter storms occurred during lower Sun activity.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thanks guys, that gives me lots to look in. Its one of the many subjects i know nothing about, so time to learn.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
lack of spots mean more uniform energy coming our way
big spots means the energy is not as uniformly distributed and usually means more 'weather' due to the tension it creates.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ratpunk

So, there is an 11 year temperature cycle?

Hence during major winter storms occurred during lower Sun activity.
The last solar maximum was in 2014 so was this:

The Mid-February 2014 North American winter storm was a major snow and ice storm that affected the American South and East Coast of the United States, bringing with it up to a foot of snow and crippling ice across parts of the South. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people were left in the dark for days, possibly even up to 2 weeks without power.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

big spots means the energy is not as uniformly distributed and usually means more 'weather' due to the tension it creates.
There is a slight (less than 0.1%) change in solar irradiance between solar maximum and solar minimum. Its "distribution" is pretty constant across the planet.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

.. is pretty constant across the planet

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "pretty constant"?

Do you mean, sometimes other opinions could be correct?

edit on 30-9-2019 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "pretty constant"?

Meaning that, except for differences in things like cloud cover, Hawaii gets the same amount of solar radiation as Puerto Vallarta. At any point of the solar cycle. Meaning that the amount of sunlight hitting the atmosphere is the same.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Oh, my God! What can we do to prevent this!?

The answer is easy! Stop burning fossil fuels.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That wouldn't affect solar cycles. But it would have a greater effect on climate than they do.

As pointed out, the previous Solar minimum was quite "deep" as well as this one. Perhaps a couple more will slow the warming a bit. That's the best we can expect.

0.04% ain't gonna do much else.

edit on 10/1/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
warmer or colder ? looks to me that all people agree that something is going to happen.

farfetched , but related sunspots and the electric universe. Not standard religious dogmatic science but maybe interesting in this context

new topics

top topics

join