It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cali to allow college athletes to be paid

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

How is paying athletes a modicum of money liberal? Is it because it came from California? Talent will not flock into California long term as other states will quickly adapt.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

In fairness, the issue frequently accompanies some manner of BS related to how the NCAA "exploits poor young black athletes" to generate revenue those players dont get direct access to. Bernie Sanders calling for pay to college athletes also plays a role in considering it a liberal idea... but considering Bernie is pushing for welfare funded college for all, he sort of has to support the paid athlete idea because his plan steals the huge payday those players are already receiving in the form of a paid education.r

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

We're discussing a law. A law that unfairly allows one state to override the restrictions that everyone else in the association agreed to.

Oh, boo-hoo for the corrupt NCAA. Let's all just keep the status quo because of our feelz.

The government of one state controls whether endorsements can be had.

The government of one state, for now, said the un-capitalistic monopoly, the NCAA, cannot prevent people from utilizing the free market. As a free market capitalist and a Libertarian I love this.

I have no problem with accepting endorsements as long as the athletes are insulated from the monetary traps associated with them and pay back some to the association they are using to profit.

Sounds like racketeering if you ask me.

I have a problem with the government deciding policy, especially a state government.

Are you saying the NCAA is above states rights? Interesting.

The problem is that it came out of California.

I know, I said that.

No one state gets to invalidate voluntarily contracts at the national level for their state.

Oh, yeah? Is your beloved college football-protecting weeb group the NCAA some form of Federal agency? No? Then strawman argument is a strawman.

Strange you seem happy to see an American institution torn down because you don't like it. What else don't you like that you think no one else should enjoy?

It's corrupt and anti-American, I'm neither so I'll party like a pro when the NCAA evaporates.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Where is the law that says one cannot be an athlete without belonging to the NCAA?

Where is the NCAA regulation that says you can be in the anti-capitalist NCAA and be able to receive endorsements? Don't bother checking, you can't.

Just don't participate in NCAA events and don't take advantage of an NCAA school sports program, and you can take any endorsement you want.

That's the status quo which only benefits the corrupt NCAA.

Learn to read.

I'm reading your weebish support for the NCAA just fine, it's like it's written in crimson tide crayon.

Exactly my point. They are using NCAA venues to become attractive to endorsers.

Those venues belong to the schools, not the NCAA, and those schools can decide for themselves.

Not just their talents, no. And those talents don't mean much without a good coach, either, nor do they get the same kind of attention without being part of a team. You just admitted to that above.

The 'good coach', for example, is typically one of the highest paid persons on the state payroll, they can suck it up since they took full advantage of the free market.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It won't be much longer till every black and brown athlete stop playing for their slave owners and create their own NFL, MLB, and NFL.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

OK, I get it; you don't get it. Capitalism by force of law. How oxymoronic.

I'm done.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Capitalism by force of law. How oxymoronic.

The law is oftentimes required when a company is a monopoly. I'm all for people maximizing their earning potential unlike the weebs.

I'm done.

When you argue from an emotional standpoint that's often what happens, you exhaust yourself.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
obviously they should get paid

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I didn't say it was liberal. I said it won't be long before liberals are complaining about whites getting more than blacks because of racism, and then they'll say it's not fair that the men earn more than the women. You know it's coming if this happens.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

you sound like you're whining like the snowflakes

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

When you argue from an emotional standpoint that's often what happens, you exhaust yourself.

Actually, my problem was arguing from a logical standpoint. Seems to have gone right over your head.

That's OK, though... next time I'll know better.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Actually, my problem was arguing from a logical standpoint. Seems to have gone right over your head.

That's OK, though... next time I'll know better.

TheRedneck

Yeah, I saw your logic, 'It could ruin the NCAA!!!! *sob* 'It came from California!!!!' *rending of garments*

Face it man, you dont like this because your sacred cow may not be so sacred anymore. Get your emotions out of the mix and embrace free market capitalism.

edit on 3-10-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I saw your logic

No, you didn't.

I stated that it was improper for a state government to invalidate a contract voluntarily executed by entities on a national level and thereby give those entities in their state an unfair advantage. That's got nothing to do with a free market; a free market allows execution of contracts freely.

I don't think you know what a "free market" is.

Of course, it had to be California... the same California that arrested a homeowner for protecting their property from a wildfire... the same California that has caused wildfires through mismanagement of resources... the same California that thinks it has the right to determine Federal election requirements... the same California that tried to outlaw CB radios for OTR (national) truck drivers... the same California that decided they were able to violate Federal immigration laws... yeah, that California.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Is it really about right or wrong? Or is it because this came out of California?

Still not seeing why these "student athletes" should not share a measure of the success?

They make over a billion a year on the backs of the athletes.

Lets look at Bama.

They make 15 to 18 million a year on just football. How much did the players get? And not every player gets a scholarship

www.al.com...

The law would NOT effect any of that, just allow them to get endorsements and sponsorships. It also ONLY effects public schools in California

Still not seeing why people are so worked up about it.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I stated that it was improper for a state government to invalidate a contract voluntarily executed by entities on a national level and thereby give those entities in their state an unfair advantage.

Why? The NCAA is not the Federal government, the States can regulate it or not as they see fit.

That's got nothing to do with a free market; a free market allows execution of contracts freely.

There are numerous instances of private entities having to adhere to different regulations in the various states they operate in.

I don't think you know what a "free market" is.

Says they guy weebing on the NCAA and thinking they have some sort of inviolable compact because 'muh foot-bawl'.

Of course, it had to be California... the same California that arrested a homeowner for protecting their property from a wildfire... the same California that has caused wildfires through mismanagement of resources... the same California that thinks it has the right to determine Federal election requirements... the same California that tried to outlaw CB radios for OTR (national) truck drivers... the same California that decided they were able to violate Federal immigration laws... yeah, that California.

You aren't telling me anything new about your views, they've muddied your noodle on this.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh, noes!!!!!!

Those Hollyweird freaks and Communist Libtards in South Carolina want college athletes to be able to earn endorsements too!!!!!

I'm sooooo sad the corrupt NCAA wont have their stranglehold on the national level anymore even though they aren't the Federal Government since I think they should still get treated like they are because I don't understand the Commerce Clause. Boo-hoo.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
how much of a fool are you to think it's bad the athletes get paid for the hard work they put in?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Looks like the NCAA agrees with California:

NCAA board approves athlete compensation for image, likeness. Source
< br />

edit on 29-10-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join