It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cali to allow college athletes to be paid

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Generally speaking, IME most of the kids who had a decent measure of talent and had the desire and drive to go on and play in college manage to do it. Granted, they don't and most won't end up at big-time schools, but there are nearly always going to be enough smaller schools looking for players wanting to play, really wanting to play that most get that chance.

Revenue sharing and other rules have helped in this regard.
edit on 1-10-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Some college attendees will get introduced to the IRS. They will learn that there is more than putting a check in the bank and going out on the town to spend it.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Some college attendees will get introduced to the IRS. They will learn that there is more than putting a check in the bank and going out on the town to spend it.

They get to learn that while they also learn about loans.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Still, that link shows $15 million going to non-athletic uses.

Most likely debt service as Michigan's does.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm all for it. Let them earn some cash for their likeness and names if they can. Make it legal in every college athletic program. It might even help even the playing field with the "Power 5" school who already pay their players, just under the table with a blind eye from the NCAA.

People like to make this about NCAA football (eff every big school out there, by the way) when this could be huge for the local athlete/celebrity who plays any other sport. The opportunity to make some cash off of being the local track or baseball star at whatever college would be great for those kids.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Opinions?

I dunno.

On the one hand, schools can bring in a lot of money through their sports programs, so in essence the players are helping them do that, so maybe they too should be compensated.

On the other hand, however, it is likely that the prospect of getting paid to play will go to their heads. Top teams with top players can already have ego problems, and I just see this adding to it. We see this in pro sports to a degree, and I do necessarily think it should be in college sports.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The NCAA should just disallow schools that pay to play from being part of their organization. If California people like to play with themselves, they are welcome to do their own thing in their own home. Let's try to suppress greed in college football, not endorse it.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Most likely debt service as Michigan's does.

That is listed farther down.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Top teams with top players can already have ego problems, and I just see this adding to it.

I am shocked! Ego problems? Why in the world would any college team have ego problems? Especially in NCAA football... one game with the Crimson Tide and all those ego problems go away.

Of course, Alabama doesn't have an ego problem... when you're obviously the best, it's fact, not ego.

(Don't blame me; it's in the rulebook. There's a penalty for an Alabama fan not showing sufficient arrogance: 10 yards and loss of down.)

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

That is listed farther down.

Yes, it's nearly $15million.

They don't go into specifics as to where the profit of $15million is going so without that information it cannot be definitively said where the money is going, student scholarships or debt service.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm also going by what University of Alabama says... they claim the profits from sports programs (which is what that &15 million would be) go back into non-athletic scholarships. Considering my Bachelors at UAH (same college, just a different arm) was paid by scholarship, I tend to believe them.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They will. It's a violation of their policies to pay players so CA, in an attempt to get their players money and recognition, will instead suppress them to play in state, thus eliminating their chance to get noticed. It's ironic and funny at the same time.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Y'all have another great offense this year... In fact, almost as great as LSU's...

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Found this OP from yours...all I can say is...

BUCKEYES!

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I mean, you guys are almost as good as we are, even if you're only #1.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

Found this OP from yours...all I can say is...

BUCKEYES!

In no particular order, the CFP this year will be LSU, Alabama (if their matchup is close and all other games are won), OSU, and Oklahomo. Those also happen to be four of the highest scoring offenses. OU #1, LSU #3, Alabama #4, and OSU #8. All four are pulling starters by the start of the 2nd half or a few minutes into the 3rd, minus LSU when they played a top ten Texas on the road.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Top teams with top players can already have ego problems, and I just see this adding to it.

I am shocked! Ego problems? Why in the world would any college team have ego problems? Especially in NCAA football... one game with the Crimson Tide and all those ego problems go away.

Of course, Alabama doesn't have an ego problem... when you're obviously the best, it's fact, not ego.

(Don't blame me; it's in the rulebook. There's a penalty for an Alabama fan not showing sufficient arrogance: 10 yards and loss of down.)

TheRedneck

Alabama fans are damm loyal too. They all want to see Jalen Hurts go undefeated untill that game lol. And they want him to be a very close second in the heisman..

They are actually rooting for OU ..thats weird..

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Y'all have another great offense this year... In fact, almost as great as LSU's...

Y'all are coming along pretty good yourself. Too bad you have to play us... you might have gotten to the championship.

I finally got to see Tua's brother play! Damn, he's good. If anything, his arm is a little more accurate than Tua's. By the time Tua graduates, he'll be ready to step right into his shoes.

We do have to work on our defense, though. We are still winning, but the real season is coming up now: SEC teams. I saw a lot of mental errors last week.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

BUCKEYES!
...get washed away with the Tide...

Finished it for you.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That's the case in Washington. UW head coaches are the highest paid state employees.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join