It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cali to allow college athletes to be paid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I also don't agree with rules prohibiting high schoolers from going pro. I think the NFL won't allow it. I like that baseball has a developed farm system.

Absolutely. NBA the same. If the NFL and NBA want a farm system, they should run one. The NBA does have a developmental league. Not use the universities for that purpose, which is what happens when they prevent athletes from signing right out of high school.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
a reply to: hyperlexic

Here's how you can tell it isn't mutual.

Texas A&M had a well established football program before Manziel got there. He was there playing for a year. Skipped and signed an NFL contract for big $.

Texas A&M still has a football program doing well. How's Johnny Football doing?

Thats really is my point. By the way hes doing way better than most his daddy is super duper rich.

But even if they are great and win the Heisman and everyone thinks they are gonna be the best pro ever it still doent happen all of the time.

They blow a knee or twist an ankle or just cant cut it in the big league they end up broke and only really know football or basketball because thats what they have done their entire life and thats what the university has required them to work on full time and only that for their entire adult life.

They should be able to get compensated for that. IMO

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

a reply to: hyperlexic

Here's how you can tell it isn't mutual.

Texas A&M had a well established football program before Manziel got there. He was there playing for a year. Skipped and signed an NFL contract for big $.

Texas A&M still has a football program doing well. How's Johnny Football doing?

I feel the need to point out a couple stats.
Yes Texas a&m is doing fine.

But in Mansfield 2 seasons the school got paid $7 each year for their bowl game.
The year before was $1.7, the two years after was $4.3 and 2.9...
Just some interesting stats..

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm saying you start that 'pay them for what they're worth' stuff and you've just gutted college athletics. Which should probably happen. What they ought to do is run a totally separate entity unaffiliated with the University's core mission, called "Football sponsored by Texas A&M" then run it like the NFL if they want. No pretext of players being students. No scholarships. Pay them and be done with it. Let all the power conferences do that, or whomever else wants to.

All I've heard lately is "Oh my God college debt is out of control and people are paying on it for 20 years and can't get ahead." But apparently 4 years debt free, degree or not, has no value.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It is of my opinion that education will suffer as a result of this.

They will be too busy trying to make money rather than working on their education.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I'm saying you start that 'pay them for what they're worth' stuff and you've just gutted college athletics. Which should probably happen. What they ought to do is run a totally separate entity unaffiliated with the University's core mission, called "Football sponsored by Texas A&M" then run it like the NFL if they want. No pretext of players being students. No scholarships. Pay them and be done with it. Let all the power conferences do that, or whomever else wants to.

All I've heard lately is "Oh my God college debt is out of control and people are paying on it for 20 years and can't get ahead." But apparently 4 years debt free, degree or not, has no value.

College athletics won't be gutted... it will be COLLEGE athletics. The problem is top athletic schools have gotten drunk off the money earned and it has turned into a corrupt farm system for professional sports.

Did you know the Ivy League is a sport conference? Yeah, it started as a group of schools that played each other in sports. It has nothing to do with being intellectually better schools. All these schools Harvard, Princeton, U of Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, and Brown still have sports teams....

The vast majority of players at the big schools who play D1 football and basketball would not be at those schools UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES as they are wholly unqualified academically. No one believes they attend these schools for an education.

This is EXPLOITATION at it's finest. Schools get star athletes and don't have to pay them which generates tens of millions of dollars in revenue for the schools because of the donors and commercial sales. The "students" don't have to take any classes or do any real academic work and get used up and thrown away when they don't make it to pros.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

They will be too busy trying to make money rather than working on their education.

Lets be honest you need money way more than you need an education . You can always go back and get an education.

Money is what makes the world go around.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Its funny were all having this conversation like they arent already paying the top tier college athletes anyway.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: hyperlexic

originally posted by: Arnie123

Lets be honest you need money way more than you need an education . You can always go back and get an education.

Money is what makes the world go around.

Yeah, ain't none those athletes there for the "education". Most barely read on a middle school level, yet we are supposed to believe the starters at Duke or some of these other schools are just like a typical Duke student academically....

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

We really see this the exact same way.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Its funny were all having this conversation like they arent already paying the top tier college athletes anyway.

Yeah, but at least now it will be legal and transparent.

"Donors" won't be buying houses, cars, and arranging for threesome with cheerleaders for their star athletes....

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Very stupid. Only California would make a move this stupid. They'll be in violation of NCAA rules and not allowed to play in any bowl games once this takes effect. I'm 99.9% sure every game they play in the regular season will be forfeited as well.

You said not to bring up the scholarship, but that's tens of thousands of dollars PER semester that's paid for. That should be more than enough.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Personally, I think as far as athletes go, it boils down to picking one or the other.

Either ALL career athletes can make bank off their name & associations

OR

The state funds all levels with a reasonable living wage stipend earning.

Pick one.
edit on 9/30/2019 by Nyiah because: clarified career athletes, not weekend warrior soccer bros

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Very stupid. Only California would make a move this stupid. They'll be in violation of NCAA rules and not allowed to play in any bowl games once this takes effect. I'm 99.9% sure every game they play in the regular season will be forfeited as well.

You said not to bring up the scholarship, but that's tens of thousands of dollars PER semester that's paid for. That should be more than enough.

It is my opinion that they pay for their scholarships with extremely hard work . The school gives them a scholarship and if they dont honor it or get cut from the team they lose that scholarship. So its not free by any means it is paid for with blood sweat and tears.

So if a player get offered 10 grand to do a commercial for a local car dealer why shouldnt they be allowed to do that?

The university is still getting paid.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I have always thought college athletes should be allowed to profit from their own names.

The one argument against it as so lame . That they are getting a free education.. what a crock.

They work their asses off for those scholarships. Nothing is free.

Right, they work their asses off for a scholarship that costs everyone else, at USC for example, $77,459.00 per year, $74,570.00 per year at Stanford, and $65,545.00 per year at UCLA.

link   
College football is an absurdly profitable business, the people it's making money off of should be able to share in that equity.

link   
It used to be when you said "College Athletes" it meant you had students who competed against other schools. What we have now with the major sports schools is anything but true college athletics with STUDENT athletes. You have semi-pro level athletes and that is it. They aren't students and in most cases, qualified to even be a student at said school.

Schools are recruiting athletes solely on their ability to play a sport to gain competitive advantage. It has nothing to do with the academics.

The EASIEST way to fix this is simply require any athletes to meet some reasonable minimum academic standard for the school. For example, if you wanted to play hoops at Duke, you'd need to score within say the 50th percentile for a typical Duke student on the SAT. This way you wouldn't have borderline retards who under no circumstances other their ability to dribble would they ever attend Duke.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

So should an engineering student who is also on a scholarship be prevented from taking paid internships or working part time?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

College football is an absurdly profitable business, the people it's making money off of should be able to share in that equity.

What about women's sports that all lose money?
Should they get some of the money the men earn?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: burdman30ott6

They could I suppose but if other states pass similar legislation the ncaa will have far less leverage. How the athletic conferences react is important too. If the SEC and ACC hop on board, it would put huge pressure on the ncaa.
The ncaa has become to big for its britches

The ACC wouldn't make a difference. The SEC would have the biggest impact, maybe the B1G and Big 12, too, but none of those conferences are interested in paying the players.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join