It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cali to allow college athletes to be paid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
So does this only apply to the revenue sports like football? What about the swimmers and track & field? Let's say you go to Southern Northeast Missouri State on a wrestling scholarship. Wrestlers work out as hard as anyone, even at the smaller schools. Do they get paid by the university?

Superstars at the biggest football and maybe basketball programs in the power conferences might cash in, in the short term.

There are a lot of things wrong with college athletics. IMO this only makes the problem worse. I think the NCAA has plenty of room to improve. I don't think this fixes anything.

It would have to be treated like any other money making business. Yes, I do think this would only apply to revenue sports. If a sport/ person brings in a lot of money, there is more money to be paid. If you are the star cross country runner you might not get paid anything because it has no entertainment draw.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
For the record, I have long thought that college athletes should be able to make money from their name and likeness.

That out of the way, anyone who thinks this is being done for some righteous reason in the name of these "poor kids" is fooling themselves. First of all, any athlete that will have the ability to make any serious money off of their name is already getting paid. And I don't mean just the small stipend the NCAA already allows. I mean serious under the table payments. THAT is one major reason the California legislature is involved. They want their cut.

The other major reason...well, do yourself a favor and go to 247Sports.com's composite recruiting rankings for the top players from state of California. The top athletes are leaving the state in droves with almost none of the top recruits from this cycle committed to in-state schools including a massive drop-off from the traditional blueblood program USC. This is a trend that has a lot of powerful and influential people in the state extremely concerned.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: hyperlexic

You are correct, the athletes can make money from their own image.
That's what I disagree with.
The s
Whole team should be paid in my opinion

And the kids don't own the name on the front of the jersey so they can't sell it.
edit on 30-9-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

How many jerseys would Manziel have sold if he wasn't on a university football team? What's his name worth now? It's the university relationship driving the value.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I predict that the college sports for profit industry will end in about 15 years or so. Here is how it will go:

Kids start getting paid for their likeness and hard work, as they should since it is work. They start making enormous amounts of money. Other majors now complain that they are not getting paid to go to college and raise awareness that brawn is getting paid to go to school while brains are not. Is being coordinated really worth a thousand times more than having a high IQ? This causes legislation that no kids can be paid until their education is over.

College sports for profit end after decades of profiting on and exploiting kids who just hope for something better.

We're not that far from this.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Oraculi

Nike isn't paying Michigan $15 million a year because they have a great chess team.

College sports are not going anywhere

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Oraculi

Nike isn't paying Michigan $15 million a year because they have a great chess team.

College sports are not going anywhere

You'd be surprised what 15 years can do.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

How many jerseys would Manziel have sold if he wasn't on a university football team? What's his name worth now? It's the university relationship driving the value.

How many jerseys would they have sold with a third rate quarterback and a crap team?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser

More than Manziel would sell by himself.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

"Student Athletes" are now "indentured Servants" - Now that's brilliant sir...

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Veryolduser

How many jerseys would they have sold with a third rate quarterback and a crap team?

The teams money flow was doing fine before him and is doing fine without him.
Stadiums are still sold out when players move on.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

But it is mutual and so should the benefits.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't understand the logic / premise as to why the NCAA doesn't want D1 athletes to be able to work. I am not even talking about some superstar athlete, but why is it against the rules that an athlete can't flip burgers or earn any kind of money?

Remember the Olympics tried to keep professional athletes out of the games? It didn't work because the commie countries athletes were basically unpaid pros so it wasn't fair.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

That was the point I made in my original post.
All athletes should be paid.
Especially in a team sport.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Because somebody would hire a superstar basketball player to sweep their floor for ten grand.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I would support that 100% sorry if I came off like I wouldnt.

IM just saying the ones that could get a commercial or an endorsement should be allowed to do so on top of that.

Strike while the iron is hot so to say.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I don't understand the logic / premise as to why the NCAA doesn't want D1 athletes to be able to work. I am not even talking about some superstar athlete, but why is it against the rules that an athlete can't flip burgers or earn any kind of money?

Remember the Olympics tried to keep professional athletes out of the games? It didn't work because the commie countries athletes were basically unpaid pros so it wasn't fair.

Yeah then came the dream team. How fun was that ? But after that utter humiliation the rest of the world has started to catch up in basketball.
edit on 30-9-2019 by hyperlexic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: hyperlexic

I would support that 100% sorry if I came off like I wouldnt.

IM just saying the ones that could get a commercial or an endorsement should be allowed to do so on top of that.

Strike while the iron is hot so to say.

Considering how many of these athletes come from disadvantaged backgrounds and the odds against making it to the pros and even how short and fleeting any stint in the pros may be, they absolutely should be able to be compensated.

I also don't agree with rules prohibiting high schoolers from going pro. I think the NFL won't allow it. I like that baseball has a developed farm system.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Here's how you can tell it isn't mutual.

Texas A&M had a well established football program before Manziel got there. He was there playing for a year. Skipped and signed an NFL contract for big $.

Texas A&M still has a football program doing well. How's Johnny Football doing?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Here's how you can tell it isn't mutual.

Texas A&M had a well established football program before Manziel got there. He was there playing for a year. Skipped and signed an NFL contract for big $.

Texas A&M still has a football program doing well. How's Johnny Football doing?

Totally irrelevant. He was a star player and his name had a lot of cache. It doesn't matter he flopped when he went pro. Most star athletes don't make it. The school made a ton of money off him.

Your argument is like saying a company shouldn't pay you what you are worth because they were around before you joined or you couldn't succeed without them. It is a mutual benefit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join