It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bono a Possible World Bank President?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
When U2 front man and AIDS / Poverty activist Bono was mentioned as a possible World Bank presidential candidate, Treasury Secretary John Snow, refused to rule it out. Snow, is part of the team developing a short list of candidates to replace the head of the World Bank, James Wolfensohn, who is set to step down on June 1st.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — Treasury Secretary John Snow on Sunday would not rule out the idea of Irish singer Bono, an activist on debt relief and AIDS, making the short list of potential candidates to lead the World Bank even though an American is expected to get the job.

"He's somebody I admire. He does a lot of good in this world of economic development," Snow said.

"Most people know him as a rock star. He's in a way a rock star of the development world, too. He understands the give-and-take of development. He's a very pragmatic, effective and idealistic person," Snow said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So what exactly qualifies him to hold the position? He is a musician, albeit a talented one, but a that really is all. He has been a great activist as well. However, the position of president of the world bank requires a much more dedicated finance type than Bono could ever bring tot he table. Hopefully this is simply all for show and he is not a serious candidate. Someone in his position would be far more influential in what he is doing now. Leveraging his popularity as a spokesman for good causes.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Exactly what I thought when I heard this. Let's face it, would you want a bank president as your guitarist? Bass player maybe. Kidding.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Exactly what I thought when I heard this. Let's face it, would you want a bank president as your guitarist? Bass player maybe. Kidding.

This is a mentality I find very facinating. Its what pisses me off when you see a Striesand or even say a Selleck pushing thier values on TV. Its like a Im fameous so my words carry more weight and do what I say. :shk:

Actors and the like are no more smarter or dumber than the rest of us. Why exactly should thier words be treated a gospel??

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Alan Greenspan is retiring soon.

If Bono joins the World Bank as President, Greenspan is a shoe-in for front person of U2.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I believe the World Bank is a conspiracy which promotes keeping the poor poor and the rich rich. To have someone as cool as Bono in charge would be awesome.

If you think banking is hard, you are wrong. Here's how it works: Take $100 from somebody, then loan out $1000 dollars to other people. Keep the interest and pay a small amount back to your depositor. Congratulations, you're a banker.

This concept of a World Bank is a protection for the rich. Frankly, if Bono took the job, I believe he'd have enough integrity to expose any corruption he found. That's why it is crucially important to select World Bank leaders from the pool of people who are [A] economically-pious and well-spoken enough that their credentials imply superior, unquestionable knowledge (Greenspan), and [B] within the sphere of people who are controllable through blackmail or ideology.

I don't think Bono is controllable. I'm certain The Edge is not. :^)

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
This concept of a World Bank is a protection for the rich. Frankly, if Bono took the job, I believe he'd have enough integrity to expose any corruption he found.

I don't think Bono is controllable. I'm certain The Edge is not. :^)

Which is why he won't get the job. Do you think they will give up control?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Which is why he won't get the job. Do you think they will give up control?

True enough. Clearly that's why they are laughing at the prospect and people who think banking is some type of magic are also laughing. Bono is smart enough to administrate any organization. Having worked in the Information Tech industry my whole life, I can assure you that the people at the top who administrate these organizations are just as stupid and untalented as the rest of the population.

When I worked at one particular Internet startup, I was the one who wrote the important emails for the CIO (my boss two levels above me) because he was an illiterate idiot. Anyone who says these high-up administrators (Greenspan, Rumsfeld, Bill Gates) have some super talent is buying into these people's cult of personality.

Admittedly though, I myself have bought into Bono's cult of personality. That halftime show for the Super Bowl after 9/11 was awesome! Bono should try for UN director instead.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
[True enough. Clearly that's why they are laughing at the prospect and people who think banking is some type of magic are also laughing. Bono is smart enough to administrate any organization.

Aside from a great halftime show and good music, what exactly qualifies him to be a good administrator? No he would not be called upon to calculate compount interest etc etc, but even a figurehead has real responsabilites.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Fred,

What qualifies George Bush to be the president of the United States? What qualified Ronald Reagan, he, and actor? What constitues

Are you looking for academic criteria?

Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Fred, What qualifies George Bush to be the president of the United States? What qualified Ronald Reagan, he, and actor? What constitues

Hmm George H. W. Bush was a vice president as well as director fo the CIA.

Reagan was involved in politics and was the Governor of California prior to being president

Dubya was governor of Texas and was a representative as well.

All three had prior experience in the field. As i have asked what exactly are Bono's qualifcations? Since you seems to concentrate on the GOP I threw in a bone for the Democrats out there.

Clinton was governor of Arkansas. Hillary should she chose to run for president is a Senator and Co-President in the Clinton years.

etc etc etc

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

even a figurehead has real responsabilites.

Not really. These administrators are surrounded by experts of their varying trades. If you've got five guys around you and each of those five guys is trained in their speciality, the guy in the center doesn't have to do a thing except keep the skilled people happy. This can be observed in any corporation in America where middle/upper management are useless dolts and the actual work is done by the people under them.

But then, maybe I'm wrong and the World Bank is just far too difficult to understand. Surely we need some highly specialized guy to run it otherwise all of us stupid humans won't have food or houses.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Hmm George H. W. Bush was a vice president as well as director fo the CIA.

Reagan was involved in politics and was the Governor of California prior to being president

Dubya was governor of Texas and was a representative as well.

What qualifies them to make decisions involving policy making, and otherwise steer an entire society towards economic and cultural eminence? They may have held adminstrative office before, however, if history dictates democracticly chosen leaders, even men with very little academic upbringing could become leaders, as was the case throughout time with a great deal many leaders. We've seen by many U.S. presidents that without the ability to even discren between a moral intent and a prudent one, could be absolutely deliterious. Though I'm not going to name any of them, for people will accuse me whatever they can formulate, it should be noted that even beyond a simple degree, a heavy grip on reality is need, and the ability to rationalize and put emphasis on the collective will of ones citizenry should be chief.

Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Deep, its all a form of government experience. All were in a position that at least gave them practical experience in the new position they were applying for. Do you want to be operated on by someone ont he street or a qualifed surgeon. Yes the President position is a popularity contest with political overtones, but the candidate has to have some experience in the field in which he was running.

Bono is a talented musician, but I admit to biographical ignorance in his case: Has he worked in some sort of finance department? Or has held a position where he adminstered a large corporation (Which the world bank essentialy is aside from its political leanings?)

What exactly makes him qualified here? His celbrety status.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I agree, Bono may not have the required credentials for the position he is being considered for, however, the requirements are also relative; The United States requirements for Commander and Chief, differ highly from, per se, that of India's and Canadas, or even those of Tibet and China. Every country has thier own wants and needs, and every country touts a leader who can effectively produce and propofate those wants and needs perpetualy. The leadership required for the World Bank is in need of an economist, and one who can champion the economic plight of the world, and sadly, Bono may not have the academic knowledge to even understand the fiscal and monetaries policies of the World Bank and it's respected cliental.

One would love to have seen Dr. Manmohan Singh asked, had he not been the Prime Minister of India.

www.rediff.com...

Now, these are qualifications. However, I'm a bit biased becuase He's also the same ethnicity and religion as me..lol.

He showed signs of brilliance early in life. After topping the MA (Economics) exam from Punjab University, Chandigarh, in 1954, he won a scholarship to study at Cambridge. There, apart from the Wright's Prize for distinguished performance, he also bagged the coveted Adam Smith Prize.

Deep

top topics

join