It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia has admitted it knows what happened with drill hole in ISS - But it's a state secret

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You got me thinking aliens now...

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev

You got me thinking aliens now...

Do you ever not think aliens?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Well, it's a Russian capsule, so let them keep their secret. No big deal. You do know SpaceX will be launching astronauts before the end of this year, right? So Falcon 9 to the rescue.

This.

The Russians haven’t been known for taking public ownership of engineering mistakes that carry significant implications. They have to keep the nation on their side. Plus, image is a key component of their foreign policy tactics.

I’m not saying that other countries haven’t done the same thing so this isn’t about “but Russia bad”.

My guess is that the “truth” is more embarrassing than it is conspiratorial.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Do ghost count?

But seriously, I was trying to avoid it. Just going off the story as it has been presented. Russia say they know what caused the hole but cannot publicly talk about. Now there is a new issue with America, in which they are not going to talk about publicly either. If America did want to do something to the ISS they had access, why compromise the ship?

Maybe they done it to let something in/out that was not a part of the international community? What about those Space Fire Flies from Martyn Stubbs?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

The hole was not in the ISS.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Why does the headline say "Hole in the ISS?"

It doesn't say "Hole in the ISS?". It says "‘Nasty surprise’: Russia goes silent on mysterious drill hole in International Space Station". If we are going to be picky

Anything docked to the ISS is part of the ISS. Or maybe it is a mistake?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser

originally posted by: schuyler
Well, it's a Russian capsule, so let them keep their secret. No big deal. You do know SpaceX will be launching astronauts before the end of this year, right? So Falcon 9 to the rescue.

This.

The Russians haven’t been known for taking public ownership of engineering mistakes that carry significant implications. They have to keep the nation on their side. Plus, image is a key component of their foreign policy tactics.

I’m not saying that other countries haven’t done the same thing so this isn’t about “but Russia bad”.

My guess is that the “truth” is more embarrassing than it is conspiratorial.

That would be fine, except when it was first found they tried to blame the US.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

It doesn't say "Hole in the ISS?"

The headline:

Russia has admitted it knows what happened with drill hole in ISS - But it's a state secret

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

So you are saying anything docked with the ISS is not part of the ISS?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Yes. Because when it is undocked, the ISS is still the ISS.
A thing in and of itself.

edit on 9/29/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

OK, then it was a mistake

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Don't feel bad. You're not the only one who has made it.

edit on 9/29/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Story says hole was in living quarters of Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft by the bathroom area. While docked it would have shared air supply with ISS, I assume. Story was not written well at all as to the specific location of hole.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is what makes you think there's a secret space operation happening?

If you havent seen enough evidence such as the US Navy admitting it ...

You are just living in an alternate reality where you just hypnotically walk through life without paying attention

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Russia say they know what caused the hole but cannot publicly talk about.

Is it "cannot talk about it" or "don't want to talk about it"?

Like I said, my guess is that a technician on the ground drilled a hole accidentally in the wrong location, then filled it with epoxy hoping nobody would ever find out (the part of the Soyuz where the hole was drilled burns up on reentry).

That would be an embarrassing revelation for Russia to make, so maybe that's why they don't want to make it.

edit on 9/29/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

So why report:

Now, it’s the centre of a new rift between the United States and Russia.

if that was the case? Why would this cause a new rift? Russia has made heaps worst mistakes than this, they don't go blaming America for it when they do.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

So why report:

Clickbait?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Sure is a possibility, would not be the first time we have all been gaslighted.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

So why report:

Now, it’s the centre of a new rift between the United States and Russia.

if that was the case? Why would this cause a new rift? Russia has made heaps worst mistakes than this, they don't go blaming America for it when they do.

Because it seems that the Russians were just blowing a lot of hot air when they intimated that maybe the U.S. astronauts on the space station had something to do with it, so nobody took that half-baked accusation seriously.

It was a year ago when the Russians (Dmitry Rogozin) denied that the hole could possibly had been drilled accidentally during construction. However, he said this prior to any investigation being done. Considering there was likely no way he could have so quickly known for sure it was not a fabrication accident, I think it's possible he said that just to cover his own organization's butt.

That denial came too quickly to be taken seriously. And I wouldn't doubt that the U.S. was a little pissed off that they made the denial.

if that was the case? Why would this cause a new rift?

Is there a new rift? Or are we are taking the author's word for it?

Even if there is a new rift, it could be caused by a lot of things, including the idea that Roscosmos is unwilling to admit that the hole was drilled accidentally by a Russian technician and was never caught by their quality control procedures. If NASA felt that the Russians know it was drilled by a technician on the ground but won't fess up to it, then that might cause NASA to get a little pissed off at them.

edit on 9/29/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Sure is a possibility. Would not be the first time someone passed the buck.

Maybe in 70 years the records might come out. Until then all we can do is speculate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join