It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Quote Button

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Alright too many don't seem to understand how quotations work.

Skoolin' time!

Remember when you used to write essays and book reports and cited only brief sentences and clauses to reference your subject or point?

Please trim your quotes to the point of relevancy if you're going to use the button.

Please stop quoting 16 paragraph threads with 3 vids just to make a meager reply. Just use the reply button instead.

Thank you, that is all. Comply!

edit on 29-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Fair enough and rightly so.

But -

If it's "skoolin' time!" then be a good teacher and explain how for those who don't know how otherwise your just making accusations of lazyness.

Thankyou that's all. Comply.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

If it's "skoolin' time!" then be a good teacher and explain

Good point.

I will use our conversation as an example. To reply to your post I hit the quote button.

That will bring up a field where text can be edited, added, removed, whatever. You can do this before submitting your post. It literally takes seconds!

Please keep in mind it is against site rules to alter another user's words when quoting. Also misrepresenting another user's words is just in bad taste.

In quoting you, I simply deleted the extraneous text (highlight text, select, backspace, delete, or any method,) while keeping the part I wanted to quote intact.

OR

Users can just keep whatever parts they wish to quote within the quote brackets that look like this:

[ q u o t e ] .....quote..... [ / q u o t e ]

There's no reason to quote a whole 1,000 word post to reply to it. If you don't want to bother trimming up the parts you want to address, just use the 'reply' button as a general response to a specific user, or to the thread itself.

edit on 29-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Good point.

Ok thankyou very much as i must admit, i had no idea till you complied.

Cheers.

You have now skooled me and i am grateful for your time.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Good point.

I will use our conversation as an example. To reply to your post I hit the quote button.

That will bring up a field where text can be edited, added, removed, whatever. You can do this before submitting your post. It literally takes seconds!

Please keep in mind it is against site rules to alter another user's words when quoting. Also misrepresenting another user's words is just in bad taste.

In quoting you, I simply deleted the extraneous text (highlight text, select, backspace, delete, or any method,) while keeping the part I wanted to quote intact.

OR

Users can just keep whatever parts they wish to quote within the quote brackets that look like this:

There's no reason to quote a whole 1,000 word post to reply to it. If you don't want to bother trimming up the parts you want to address, just use the 'reply' button as a general response to a specific user, or to the thread itself.

You mean like this?
Just making jokes.
Let this serve as a example how not to do it

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88

Good point.

OR

You mean like this?
Just making jokes.
Let this serve as a example how not to do it

Yesssss!

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Please trim your quotes to the point of relevancy if you're going to use the button.

Exactly correct.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If you do not want to quote the entire post then just highlight the part you want to quote, hit copy, tap the quotation mark above and then copy what you highlighted into the box. Hit ok and you have what you want to quote out of the selected post.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

edit on 29-9-2019 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263
You wrote to me?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

WELL DONE
Way to go

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia