It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced updates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I get this is the forum for letting some steam off!!!!

For weeks my phone has been trying to dupe me into updating it. The last time it did that, it broke the GoPro App for me that was vital!!!! Now I can not redownload it because it is not supported anymore for me. WTF???

I had to go under the car and unmount the CW panel to have it drop on me so I can get to the camera. Before that I used a simple stick to turn it on and off and do the rest from my phone.

But this time, they shot the bird. I think I spider*! I was sitting right here when I noticed my phone going off suddenly, a few hours ago. I thought the battery drained but thought it is strange. I just unplugged it hours before that from the charger. Shortly before it went out, I checked hangouts and there was no alert, nothing else on the phone.

Okay, I turned it back on. It took forever to load up and was not responsible for over a minute after I made it to the main screen.

Then I noticed the mess!!! Suddenly I have blue icons that look different, many other things that I do not want that way.

It now makes clicking sounds whenever I touch the home button. It makes sounds while I type and it can not (!) be turned off. It is annoying as hell. It is just half the speed I am used to and loading youtube takes forever.

THANK YOU FOR RUINING MY PHONE; WHOEVER MADE THE DECISION THIS UPDATE WILL BE FORCE FEED!!!! IT WAS A PRESENT FROM MY UNCLE YOU DIP#S AND NOW YOU RUINED IT.

*this is nonsense because that saying can not be translated. It means I doubt my sanity.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

I feel you.

A while back I was really enjoying and getting in to playing FIFA online but every damn time I went to play it would seem there was another update required. Sometimes the length of time the update would take was more than I had available to play.

I kind of gave up and lost interest in the end.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I get this is the forum for letting some steam off!!!!

For weeks my phone has been trying to dupe me into updating it. The last time it did that, it broke the GoPro App for me that was vital!!!! Now I can not redownload it because it is not supported anymore for me. WTF???

I had to go under the car and unmount the CW panel to have it drop on me so I can get to the camera. Before that I used a simple stick to turn it on and off and do the rest from my phone.

But this time, they shot the bird. I think I spider*! I was sitting right here when I noticed my phone going off suddenly, a few hours ago. I thought the battery drained but thought it is strange. I just unplugged it hours before that from the charger. Shortly before it went out, I checked hangouts and there was no alert, nothing else on the phone.

Okay, I turned it back on. It took forever to load up and was not responsible for over a minute after I made it to the main screen.

Then I noticed the mess!!! Suddenly I have blue icons that look different, many other things that I do not want that way.

It now makes clicking sounds whenever I touch the home button. It makes sounds while I type and it can not (!) be turned off. It is annoying as hell. It is just half the speed I am used to and loading youtube takes forever.

THANK YOU FOR RUINING MY PHONE; WHOEVER MADE THE DECISION THIS UPDATE WILL BE FORCE FEED!!!! IT WAS A PRESENT FROM MY UNCLE YOU DIP#S AND NOW YOU RUINED IT.

*this is nonsense because that saying can not be translated. It means I doubt my sanity.

Hmmmm... Apple phone or not?

Sounds badly like an Apple thing

if so there is no escape

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa
Hmmmm... Apple phone or not?

Sounds badly like an Apple thing

if so there is no escape

Sure there is, ditch the apple and get a samsung !

Could be worse, could have been one of those fake iphones... (lol this was in my recommended list from... 12 years ago, my how technology has changed)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop
a reply to: Malisa

The robot one, "Android". I did not select it, do not ask me what it can do

I eat apples, I do not use them for phoning

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM
Same here. My uncle had a XBOX360. Challenged me for a time attack on one of the races in the grand theft auto game.

First, the xbox wanted a update, then the game. When I finally got to the loading screen there was not much time left. I ended up just driving through traffic the opposite way for a bit and had to leave the game.

I had that crazy EVO with the insane acceleration that is basically invincible. Tons of fun but a struggle to get there every time.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Lesson - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

In other words if the the thing works and satisfied your need, don't update it.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

That is the point, I did nothing. I did not select anything. The last time it asked was a few days ago.

It already asks for the next update authorizing *grrrrr*

I would really switch back to the ME45 but it is a dumb-phone, not a smart-phone. By that I would loose the hangouts and whatsapp apps, basically all apps, since the thing can: phone, text that was it.
edit on 29-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Roger that i know what you mean, however univited updates must be looked at suspiciously as virus cariers and therefore ignored/cleared.

My Samsung constantly tries to auto download them without my initiation which prompts me to quickly switch of and remove battery to stop it.

Just keep an eye on them and constantly clear them.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I was already suspicious when I heard the first camera sound click. I noticed the facebook apps are all set to disabled and grayed out, once I navigated my way into the settings. I do not use facebook so that is not a problem. Just noticed, but I do not know how it was before. I was never in there because I am afraid I break the settings for the wifi.

I noticed more... the color scheme is totally mad, like a child did it. The alarm clock will now show blinding neon green numbers. Before it all had a slight greenish theme to it. Soft to the eye.

Was at my daily drive. The mirror link and augmenting the display to my cars display does not work anymore. Navigation is now broken also!!!

This is what I will be doing in short:

- Put it under one of the back tires of the R33.
- Slightly step into the brakes so the front brakes will apply but not the rear ones.
- Rev up to 5k and couple in

Any guesses how far it will fly?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I see the frustration.

Try resetting factory settings then apply a keen eye as the R33 is only a six.

For total destruction and maximum fly rate your going to need a chev v8.

(Jokes)☺ nice car though.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yes, very frustrated. I figured I will not do it because it could hit the inner wheel housing and damage something, knowing my luck.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well, I absolutely loooovveeee forced updates. Who wants a choice on whether or not their devices actually function? People who rely on their electronics for work, hobbies, etc. should just appreciate the excitement that bringing down mission critical functions delivers. That is, if updates ever broke anything, like, ever. Which, Im told is just a conspiracy. From their inception, circa 2348 B.C., there has never been a recorded instance of them breaking anything!

What, do we the users really want the option to wait until stability is ensured? Thats just silly talk!

Whoa whoa whoa..

Sorry bout that, my sarcasti-switch got stuck. Seems like everything is moving to auto-updates without choice. I dont mind beta-testing if I, you know, actually opt-in.. but sometimes I just want to get to what Im doing. Seems.. Reasonable?

I guess its just hip and cool nowadays to do things like forced updates, turning everything into a subscription service, etc. I cant say I like any of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam
Hey Serdigiam

Sorry bout that, my sarcasti-switch got stuck.

Haha I enjoyed reading it. I knew exactly from what angle you were approaching

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I feel your pain, but what you describe is called "user error". You need to understand that your operating system is entirely independent of the various apps/programs that run on it. If you have auto-update on, that is your bad. If you do not know how to decline an update, that is also your bad. I hate to break it to you, but phones are computers.

You cannot expect GoPro, for instance, to recode their software in real-time with Apple. The way it works is that the new OS is released, apps are either compatible or not, and it is up to the app developers to do the necessary tweaks to patch their app into the new OS.

I run a pro recording studio. I keep my OS up to 2 years behind. That way, it stays stable, and I allow the companies that make all of my programs plenty of time to adjust to the new operating systems. I know I sound heartless, but you bricked your own phone. Teachable moment. Your GP software will be patched to be compatible sooner or later, and you will be creating extreme skydiving videos once more in the near future. In the meantime, learn how to decline updates. And if you have mission critical programs and apps, check to see if those work with the latest OS before installing. There is often a lag...

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

Autoupdate is off. That is why I wrote it keeps me nagging to update it. The last question I answered with "ask me later" on Thursday evening before I went to bed.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Oleandra88, sorry to hear of your difficulties. I just had something-Google trying to force its way onto my phone 2 days ago, managed to dodge the download.

BTW, you gave me some advice related to cars a short while back, and it served me well -- thanks!

Cheers

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
Hey F2d5thCavv2,

I downloaded the handbook for the phone. Got into the "info" section.

A system update message popped up. It is the same one I was denying, I remember the 81 at the ending.

and it says, but in German:

[x] Only update over WLAN
[ ] Download system updates automatic
[ ] Update apps automatic

Android 6.01
HTC Sense 7.0 g
Software number 1.56.401.70

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill
I was a bit busy when I wrote my first reply.

1) Autoupdate is off!
2) I know how to decline updates. I am not a tech professional but I can read and use logic. I wrote before I decline updates.
3) I found out now, that the update version it is still (!) pushing on me, is the same one I always decline because I remember the 81 at the end.

I appreciate your answer but you assume too much stupidity in me.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
i am baffled - how some people get into so much greif - with a simple phone

i have been on android phones for 9 years - and my omly " gripe " has been the bloat ware - that eats up phone memory - i now has 32 gig phone + 32 SD card - and after just 18 months - phone now " full "

but last update was @ saturday - and all apps still work

go figure

top topics

<<   2 >>

join