It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch SpaceX’s Elon Musk lay out latest vision for Starship and interplanetary trips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Musk is due to give his presentation at 7 p.m. CT (5 p.m. PT) at SpaceX’s construction, test and launch facility near Boca Chica in South Texas. It’ll be live-streamed via SpaceX’s YouTube channel.

Watch SpaceX’s Elon Musk lay out latest vision for Starship and interplanetary trips

In the background will be the 165-foot-tall, 1950's looking rocket. I sure hope he gets the real one flying soon. Excited to see what he will have to say today.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I get the heebie jeebies from that guy, and there is no way they just invented the starlink satellite model,
something is wrong with them, moving Internet data my (SNIP)...

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Interplanetary without even stopping at the moon?

Too good to be true.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Is that really what it's going to look like? Well, it's a prototype, but seriously, that thing looks like it's out of looney toons or Thunderbirds.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Is that really what it's going to look like? Well, it's a prototype, but seriously, that thing looks like it's out of looney toons or Thunderbirds.

There are pics online DDG image search that show what it might look like. Maybe in a few hours we will have a better idea what it's really gonna look like.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Watching this now. And my biggest question (as a welder) was what the rocket was made of, and he mentions it's a certain stainless steel. I also noticed the amount of welded panels this thing was made of, that's a lot of welding, I wonder what type of testing they performed on the weldments, the toes of the weld will be the first places to fail on stainless.
edit on 28-9-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Watching this now. And my biggest question (as a welder) was what the rocket was made of, and he mentions it's a certain stainless steel. I also noticed the amount of welded panels this thing was made of, that's a lot of welding, I wonder what type of testing they performed on the weldments, the toes of the weld will be the first places to fail on stainless.

Yeah, that is a concern. I guess they have it all figured for the project to prevail.

Testing times will tell.

Otherwise:

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Not a huge Musk fan, but I hope this works!

This should be stuck on the front page!

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Ummm...it’s a perfect design...minimalist and form following function...obviously subsequent iterations may and or will have design features not present in this first mock-up...

How would you design a starship...bearing in mind...cost versus weight in keeping with a reusable launch vehicle...
The talk is to have multiple daily missions with each platform...these initial starships will be ground to orbit and return vehicles...as will be future iteration missions beyond earth orbit to the moon...mars...etc...

This is both revolutionary and in keeping with greatly reduced costs per mission by factors of ten over every other existing platform...

I guess naysayers just got to naysay...

Me...I love the design...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

This should be stuck on the front page!

I don't know much about the man personally. But his vision, to me, is inspiring. Not like that Mars 1 crap project a decade ago. That sucked a lot of people in.

Least ways Musk has forwarded his plans, has the drive, technology and engineering to prove it. I'll be following the progress as they 'fine' tune the launches and orbits.

I also have hopes for success.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   

That thing looks like a weapon.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   

The plan right now is large, solid single-piece rings joined with a single weld across the diameter to the next ring. This is the cobbled together, low cost, get to space and prove the aerodynamics, systems, propulsion model.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Imagine if he succeeds and lands Starship on Mars one day. This awkward guy, who is barely capable of talking in front of an audience, will be considered as one of the greatest Americans in history.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Everything about this makes me happy. Musk is probably the most inspirational guy around at the moment.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
here is a summery in 8 min

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
He is not the most exciting speaker, many exciting ideas though. There was some new and cool info. I like the fact they are going to be able to refuel the Starship in orbit.

More caps

new topics

top topics

join