It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since whistle blowers are heroes now, what about Snowden and Assange?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Snowden claimed he tried to reach out to whistle blowers and colleges before going to the press. He says he was turned away and told he was "playing with fire". My understanding is the whistle blower act protects you if your chain of command is also implicated, so you decide to take it public.

Assange on the other hand isn't a US citizen. So how could he be charged with the US espionage act if he was merely a journalist distributing information? (This claim wouldn't work out if they do in fact prove that he helped infiltrate US cyber systems [the defense offered is he only helped to keep his source anonymous, and that he did not get access to any information his source couldn't get to on their own accord]).

While I will say this whistle blower does indeed appear to have gone through the proper channels, so using the three to make parallels isn't fair, an analogy is fair... And we've had a very problematic system for dealing with those who expose wrongdoing post 9/11 in the name of national security.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
The OG whistle blowers. Snowden, Assange, Manning. Are they not equally as patriotic? Or are they different, because they weren't trying to help the narrative?

As far as I remember, Snowden received a lot of support. Not really from the government, but from the citizens. There were even some politicians that were fine with him. Assange and Manning leaked classified military documents during a time of war that may have lead to the deaths of US military personnel. So, no. I don't consider them heroes. Although some of the stuff they leaked was in the public interest, not all of it was. They did not think or care enough to protect those that were put in harm's way because of the information they leaked. Snowden should not be lumped in with them. All three leaked documents, but they did it with very different interests in mind. Snowden is a hero.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
How soon they forget.

www.longislandpress.com...]

As for Obama’s record, here’s what history will show: In his eight years in office, the Obama Justice Department spearheaded eight Espionage Act prosecutions, more than all US administrations combined. Journalists were also caught in the crosshairs: Investigators sought phone records for Associated Press journalists, threatened to jail an investigative reporter for The New York Times, and named a Fox News reporter a co-conspirator in a leak case. In Texas, a journalist investigating private defense contractors became the focus of a federal prosecution and was initially charged for sharing a hyperlink containing hacked information that had already been made public.

Waiting for " but, but that's different " from the usual crowd.

He campaigned on protecting whistleblowers as well, then turned around and became the worst president for their cause once elected.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Mate, we have hade 10 years of forced austerity, 3+ years of all this Brexit debacle, Politicians talking #e nonstop. nonsensical uncertainty on the horizon in spades and we are all over the place.

100,000+ dead poor people down to the likes of the DWP and Universal Credit, 320,000 homeless persons on our streets or in a similar predicament, and the people have not really had the inclination to mob or riot, we don't seem ready for civil war, or if we are, we seem to be keeping it darn quiet.

We are the tame version of America at the moment but all it needs is a little spark to start a fire , and both our political leaders seem to be getting the same headlines almost like it is scripted ,

I get a bad feeling about all this
as a wise old man once told me Politics /Football & religion are for the feeble minded among us

Got the beer and Pizzas in just waiting for it all to kick off

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Assange and Snowden should've kept their mouths shut.

Take Assange for example, he could have posted his info from the cover of shadows using false aliases, hell he could've posted his findings here, but noooooo...'it was me! Julian Assange! I did it, I'm the hero! Look at me!'

The moment he went public was the moment he signed his own death certificate. The mafia have Omerta, wouldzip it or sleep with the fishes, Assange is swimming in a fish tank, it's just a matter of time.

These public whistle blowers were doing the right thing, but they couldn't help themselves are started flapping their gums, there was every opportunity to remain anonymous, they Hide in embassies because they know they effed up.

All because they couldn't keep their mouths shut.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacinto34

originally posted by: network dude
The OG whistle blowers. Snowden, Assange, Manning. Are they not equally as patriotic? Or are they different, because they weren't trying to help the narrative?

As far as I remember, Snowden received a lot of support. Not really from the government, but from the citizens. There were even some politicians that were fine with him. Assange and Manning leaked classified military documents during a time of war that may have lead to the deaths of US military personnel. So, no. I don't consider them heroes. Although some of the stuff they leaked was in the public interest, not all of it was. They did not think or care enough to protect those that were put in harm's way because of the information they leaked. Snowden should not be lumped in with them. All three leaked documents, but they did it with very different interests in mind. Snowden is a hero.

Nobody was put in harm's way by Manning's release. Even Robert Gates SecDef said that months later.

All that was harmed was the government's criminal activity in a war brought under fraud and deception.

To hear you tell it, the government can do no wrong (and should be able to retain secrecy of the wrong) during a time of military aggression, an undeclared war involving crimes against humanity.

Manning, Assange, Snowden and many others deserve a national medal for exposing government crimes. Yes, Ellsberg too.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

When i was a wean it was just football with religion added to the mix as seasoned nonsensical hatred.

Politics was for your Grandad.

Have to grow up some time all the same and put those childish toys ta bed.

I've had a bad feeling in general since the beginning reading Brexit and our current socio-economic predicament.

Something in the air all the same, but i would not necessarily call it revolution nor civil war just yet.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Extorris
originally posted by: kingsquirel

Follow the letter of the law in reporting a complaint of government wrong-doing through proper channels and you will receive Whistle-Blower protections.

Share classified information with journalists or foreign governments and you will be prosecuted.

THAT is the construct of the law.

Two people working on a classified missile system for the US Government where the Contractor is embezzling taxpayer money.

One reports the corruption through the Whistle-Blower complaint process internally, not exposing the program.

The other shares details of the program and corruption with a journalist.

The first receives Whistle-Blower protection, the latter will likely be prosecuted under the espionage act.

Umm..that rhetoric might work for the average Joe's whom DO NOT know that the U.S. and Ukraine have signed agreements between said governments in helping one another just like what President Trump asked for..like I said what is going on is criminal

However on a side note when you've had this much time to drain the swamp and you did nothing...
You get what's coming!

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Have you just realized that governments and those that serve them will try to get away with what they can?

Trump is no different.

Y'all make it out as a partisan issue, hell others make it out as a liberal conspiracy and talk of war and "non Americans". As if blind patriotism and gun ownership is a requirement for citizenship.

It's not, you're all being silly.

And yes, anyone working under oath shouldn't sit aside when an unjust action is demanded, they shouldn't feign ignorance when knowledge of a conspiracy is found. People with the balls to stand up are heroes because most people just stfu and get on with it. Because a job is more important than morality. Isn't it?

It isn't irony that people today are acting like our ancestors in regards to the institutions that we created. Don't be plebs.
edit on 1-10-2019 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Bit off topic but the EU has done plenty for the little man, workers rights, benefits rights, grants etc. Remember when our government was found to violate human rights with it's forced labour program aimed at benefits recipients?

I still voted against the EU, I genuinely believed we can do better.

Something is in the air though. A lot of people are supporting causes they don't understand with blind passion. Meanwhile our government hasn't changed, the people working on parliament haven't changed.

Maybe, just maybe people will wake up someday and realise we're misrepresented, all of us. That these institutions that we support and created are corrupt. Because they supposedly serve us, yet all I see is cancer.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I voted to remain, and yet we seem to view the current predicament in a similar light.

Have to ask though, how do you imagine swapping out one shower of meddling twats at distance in Brussels for another known set of nefarious shady bastards, with a known track record of how they treat the British people, aka Westminster, will be any different, considering the corruption that is and was rife amongst them?

It seems to me, its out of the fat, and into the frying pan, then back into the fat again.

"They" are going to double deep fry our stupid gullible British arses.

edit on 1-10-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Have to ask though, how do you imagine swapping out one shower of meddling twats at distance in Brussels for another known set of nefarious shady bastards, with a known track record of how they treat the British people, aka Westminster, will be any different, considering the corruption that is and was rife amongst them?

Honestly? I must have been deluded at the time. There's a lot of amazing people in this country, great minds with forward thinking ideas and a lot of respect for human rights, fairness and equality. I don't think anybody predicted how incompetent the Tories would be with Brexit.

Just seems with how long all of this has dragged on that most people are obsessed with blocking Brexit or regaining our sovereignty.

That's not what I envisioned. I thought people would genuinely get involved with policy and not just sound bite politics. Ya know? Like government working closely with fishermen so overfishing doesn't happen and most importantly tonnes of unwanted fish are not dumped due to stupid regulations. An end to stupid recycling initiatives that send our waste to nations like Germany because there's incentive (money) in it through grants... That's local work going down the drain and it's not exactly green shipping waste around. I figured government could work with the needy too, figure out why people are genuinely struggling on minimum wage, why our benefit system is a disaster or why the NHS is a mess. I could go on and on but I'd be wasting my breath right?

Because even with the situation we find ourselves in we're just arguing about the Brexit and not the possibilities. I guess that can work too... If people lose all faith in parliament maybe we'll actually do something to put some actual servants in parliament. Frankly though I'm running out of faith.

It seems to me, its out of the fat, and into the frying pan, then back into the fat again.

"They" are going to double deep fry our stupid gullible British arses.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I think the operative words their mate was "lose all faith in parliament".

Fact is there was not that much to begin with, and after the pig's ear made, its not coming back any time this side of the current generation.

The truth of the matter, with retirement age possibly becoming 75, austerity all over the shop, and going nowhere anytime soon, no matter what lies the Tories come away with, NHS on it arse and gasping its last breath, 75% of the people who voted for Brexit will never live to see a brighter future should it happen to miraculously materialize a few decades down the line.

edit on 2-10-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join