It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traitors will attempt to bring down UK government next week

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: ScepticScot

Ignoring the voice of the people is undemocratic , how would you feel if Indy Ref had delivered a verdict to leave but you were prevented by doing so by the British Parliament ... not happy is my guess.

That would be when parliament voted against the article 50 legislation? Oh wait a minute they didn't

Brexit doesn't just mean the particular version of Brexit you want.

The fact you ignored the question kind of answers the question I think.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Ignoring the voice of the people is undemocratic , how would you feel if Indy Ref had delivered a verdict to leave but you were prevented by doing so by the British Parliament ... not happy is my guess.

That would be when parliament voted against the article 50 legislation? Oh wait a minute they didn't

Brexit doesn't just mean the particular version of Brexit you want.

The fact you ignored the question kind of answers the question I think.

I pointed out the premise of the question was incorrect.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

It's all just hot air though, isn't it?
There'd be no moral outrage among the msm etc if the default was A50 gets revoked without a vote.

This is purely about stopping Brexit by whatever means.
No one haranguing BoJo really cares about doing the right thing, only about stopping Brexit.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Fact is parliament passed the article 50 legislation

In 2017 more than 50% of the vote went to parties opposed to a no deal brexit.

A further 42% went to a party trying to get a deal.

To my knowledge only 2% went to a party supporting a no deal brexit ( I am unsure of all the NI party positions).

Yet people are claiming a no deal brexit is the democratic choice...
edit on 29-9-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Well, the last election we had was the Euro one, in which the largest single Party was a one issue, no deal one.
No other party even came close, so if we're going to be extrapolating things, we could do worse than extrapolate the public's desire for a no deal government.
Of course, we will never know, because the remain parliament is refusing to vote for an election, so sure are they of their support in the nation.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Well, the last election we had was the Euro one, in which the largest single Party was a one issue, no deal one.
No other party even came close, so if we're going to be extrapolating things, we could do worse than extrapolate the public's desire for a no deal government.
Of course, we will never know, because the remain parliament is refusing to vote for an election, so sure are they of their support in the nation.

And way behind total votes for parties opposing a no deal brexit.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I think you are underestimating the 'silent majority, who are waiting

to scream.

Thats why many polls are inaccurate.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Labour, The Lib Dems, the SNP, the Greens ALL refused to allow Boris Johnson to call for a general election where he can name a date AFTER Oct. 31 thereby causing us to crash out of the EU because everones hands would be tied because of the dates....NOT because anyone is scared of losing anything. Boris and the Conservatives are finished. The Conservatives are the scared Party....scared to death of a 2nd referendum now that the Public are aware of the drawbacks of getting out of the EU. Scared to death.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

to scream.

Thats why many polls are inaccurate.

Silent majority that doesn't show up in polls or actual elections?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: KeithCooper

There's talk of an Opposition motion of no confidence. I can't see the government winning that. But there's no realistic prospect of the Opposition winning a confidence vote and forming a government either, they've got to do that within 14 days of the first vote. And even in these uncertain times there's no way that disgruntled Tories or Liberals are ever going to allow Corbyn to take power because they'll have to give their vote to a motion that "this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government" i.e. Corbyn's, it'll be electoral suicide for most of them.

But for many of them, electoral suicide is coming their way anyway. Because there's a realignment going on. The Conservatives are shifting to the right. They're going to pull back those who have until now been aligned with UKIP and the Brexit Party. The one nation Conservatives can either put up with that or head off to join the Liberals.

Either way, this is where I disagree with you. There will be a clear choice at a General Election, between the Conservatives and Labour. And it's one I think the Tories are going to win by a landslide. England will simply balk at the prospect of a Labour government under Corbyn. The SNP will win the vast majority of Scottish seats too & they might be able to convert that into a Yes vote if Brexit becomes a shambles and, as predicted, prices rise, inflation rises, interest rates rise, unemployment rises and UK growth stalls ... or we even head into a full scale recession.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

They must have shown up when it mattered?

Otherwise remain would have won the referendum.........

What ever happened to that annoying little thing called democracy

when on a turnout of 72% (17,410,742 people) voted to leave the EU

The biggest vote in British history for anything!!

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

They must have shown up when it mattered?

Otherwise remain would have won the referendum.........

Don't believe anyone was disputing the numbers of the referendum.

Still doesn't make no deal the democratic choice.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Brexit is stupid.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
um! you are a LOT late with that!
Brexit.............................

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

When I read posts like the OP I despair.

Even if they didn't display such an astounding ignorance of how the British constitution works, even if they weren't parroting the same old tabloid nonsense, the real problem is that they don't realise they are being taken for mugs.

Look at Boris's cabinet: millionaires who look down on the working man, who are on record as saying that the average British worker is lazy.

But people seriously believe these people have the working man's best interests at heart.

Look at Boris and the Leave campaigns backers: non-dom billionaires who own most of the British press but don't pay a penny of tax in the UK and hedge funds that have £8 billion riding on a no deal.

But people seriously believe the elites want to stay in the EU.

Look at the government's own proposals for after Brexit: greater immigration from outside the EU - the government has already relaxed some of the rules around student visas - and free trade deals for all with all the compromises that entails. Indis has made clear that a trade deal with them will mean Indian immigration to the UK.

But people seriously believe Brexit is a blow against globalisation.

Look at the government's spending plans: £120 billion of tax cuts and spending increases. When the national debt is much much higher than it was when Cameron took over, when the world is on the brink of a global recession, when banks are acting much like they did before the last crash, when the deputy head of the WTO tells us we really shouldn't leave on WTO terms, when we don't have a sovereign wealth fund but a country like Gabon has, with the low pound hurting anyone who has foreign suppliers, and when every week the news tells us about another company going to the wall just like it did back in the early 80s.

But people seriously believe we'll be much better off if Boris forces a no deal Brexit.

And let's not even start on nonsense like Britain's fishing rights. An industry worth less than Edinburgh University, with a lower turnover than Harrods, that sold its quotas to foreign companies (Britain was the only country to allow their fishermen to sell their quotas abroad), that catches fish mainly for export. Even if we could magically return all the quotas and give each fisherman a week in Clacton, it will make no difference to the average man at the fish counter at Asda.

Blue passports? Printed by a Dutch company.

Part of it is the way the elites who own the British press have set the tone. Part of it is the way it's so easy to get news and ideas from the internet echo chamber, and the way it's so easy for TPB to exploit that. Part of it is our own damn laziness and unwillingness to do basic research.

You're being taken for mugs and you're cheering.

edit on 29-9-2019 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

It was superceded by the General Election of 2017, when we chose a hung Parliament to express our national political will.

Or should we ignore election results because of something that happened before?

Maybe if you and the rest of the mensheviks could agree on what Leave actually meant, we would have left by now.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

to scream.

Shame they didn't scream when the government imposed austerity, cut public services to the bone and sold what was left to their pals in the City.

Shame they won't scream when, after Brexit, after the EU takes its regional grants away, the government will make sure their pals are still looked after and screw the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Even if they didn't display such an astounding ignorance of how the British constitution works, even if they weren't parroting the same old tabloid nonsense, the real problem is that they don't realise they are being taken for mugs.

Of course 17 million of us have no idea.

But people seriously believe the elites want to stay in the EU

Why wouldn't they ? , they're the ones who reap the rewards.

Look at Boris's cabinet: millionaires who look down on the working man, who are on record as saying that the average British worker is lazy.

Jeremy Corbyns net wealth is estimated at £3 million , the Green benches are a route to money.
George Soros is just one of the those backing remain.

You're being taken for mugs and you're cheering.

Because we don't agree with you ?
Are you an MP ?

edit on 29-9-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Well said! If I only could hand out more than one start

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese
It was superceded by the General Election of 2017, when we chose a hung Parliament to express our national political will.

Um. The General Election was not exclusively about Brexit, so cannot be considered to be complementary to, or supportive of, the referendum.

The referendum was binary. A Yes or No vote. General Elections have large number of other factors based around manifestos.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The total number of UK Parliamentary electors when the referendum took place was 46,500,00. If only 17.4 million votes were in favour of leaving the EU you can't say the outcome represents "the will of the people". It represents, at best, the will of the people that voted.

Later on the same "people" voted this hung Parliament. Which, by the way, now has a NEGATIVE majority, is led by a person that is a convicted law-breaker and, clearly, a mental case, or a narcissist at best. If you have seen the interview Boris did this morning, you don't need no further proof. When the highest Court in the Nation unanimously says you are wrong, only a narcissist would have the guts to say "Oh, well, I disagree". And labeling yourself a "model of constraint", whilst you call the opinion of a woman, concerned about her safety and that of other MP's "humbug" - well, I rest my case.

If it were only a simple as you try to make it - but it is not. The nation is really very divided on this. If we did what the constituents votes, Ireland would be united and remain in the EU, Scotland would leave the UK and remain in the EU and London would have to be moved to Ireland or Scotland

I think the best thing to do is ensure that - yes - another extension is requested. Then parliament should dissolve and general elections held. After all, if you are right and it is the will of the people that the UK leaves the EU on the current terms (none whatsoever!), they can vote Tory, or the Brexit party of Farrage's bunch, and the UK could still leave the UK this year.

But let's face it: it would be against the Law to leave without a deal. And since when are you against the Law?
edit on 29-9-2019 by ForteanOrg because: he had to constrain his con_t_straints..

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join