It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traitors will attempt to bring down UK government next week

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Freeborn
In principle I support nationalisation of utilities and key services.....but they need to be ran and managed as if they were a private company and NOT the incompetent, labour intensive way they were in the past.

I used to use British Rail and it was terrible, really bad. I use trains most days and am quite content. Waited weeks for pre-privatised BT to bother to give me a phone, but now the telecoms market is innovative and customer focused. This idea that the Government and civil servants can run businesses and services is worrying, when they cannot even run a piss-up in a brewery.

Privatisation has been a bit of a mixed bag of success.

Telecoms I would absolutely agree has improved immeasurably.

Rail travel , service provision yes, infrastructure not so much.

Energy companies , pretty disastrous.

Largely depends if privatisation actually does improve choice and competition or relies on artificial markets to work.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: oldcarpy

Im expecting drunken Haikus at 2 am after you stoat back fae the boozer , with kebab in hand !

No - back from boozer now. Will watch the Last Leg on channel 4. Alcohol may well be involved though.
They do deliver kebabs here though.
Hmmmmmm......extra chili sauce.
Lovely!
Have a good weekend and, as ever, Up yer clunge!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

originally posted by: sapien82

Im expecting drunken Haikus at 2 am after you stoat back fae the boozer , with kebab in hand !

No - back from boozer now. Will watch the Last Leg on channel 4. Alcohol may well be involved though.
They do deliver kebabs here though.
Hmmmmmm......extra chili sauce.
Lovely!
Have a good weekend and, as ever, Up yer clunge!

Haven't even left work yet never mind hit the pub and now all I can think about is having a kebab.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

You will enjoy it all the more when you finally get your mitts on one.
I really liked the deep fried haggis i used to get from the chippy when i was up there fishing castle loch near lochmaben i think it was back in the 70s.
"Up yer clunge"!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

a reply to: andy06shake

Ah yes. I remember. The golden age of British Rail, British Leyland etc.
Oh, wait....

Ah yes I remember them well, interesting how time and distance lends enchantment.

The winter of discontent........

The winter of 1978–79 in the United Kingdom, during which there were widespread strikes by public sector trade unions demanding larger pay rises, following the ongoing pay caps of the Labour Party government against Trades Union Congress opposition to control inflation, during the coldest winter for 16 years.

The strikes were a result of the Labour government's attempt to control inflation by a forced departure from their social contract with the unions by imposing rules on the public sector that pay rises be kept below 5%, to control inflation in itself and as an example to the private sector. However, some employees' unions conducted their negotiations within mutually agreed limits above this limit with employers.

While the strikes were largely over by February 1979, the Labour government's inability to contain the strikes earlier helped lead to Margaret Thatcher's Conservative victory in the 1979 general election

en.m.wikipedia.org...

For those with short memories and rose coloured specs.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Freeborn

Giving free stuff away to everyone is just bollox. Where will all these billions come from?
Labour will bankrupt whats left of the UK . They never learn and nor do people who are still going to vote for this shower of incompetents.
Anyone believe that Corbyn would not sell us out to the SNP in a moment if he could get the keys to no 10?

Too right, Oldcarpy! We need deeper bloody cuts that only the Tory Party can deliver. I've written a letter to Mr Johnson suggesting an end to primary school education - I propose that education should begin later in a childs life (Perhaps at 13yrs?). The empty schools can then be used as private retirement homes which are badly lacking here in Nottingham. Borris, we are all behind you, make it happen!!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DougHole64

Yes.
I think.
Labour: free stuff from the magic money tree.
Lib dems: ditto.
Greens: ditto.
Tories: careful spending and deliver brexit.
Yet: evil tories out!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Agreed , some of the spending plans proposed by the opposition parties are ridiculous some of them down right stupid , that being said not sure I can in all honesty vote for any of them .... they all suck a full bag.

I think we're screwed which ever of them wins.
edit on 15-11-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You are not wrong there mate.
Don' t vote or the govt will get in!
None of the above!
But, if Jezbollah and McMao get in?
God help us all!
Their costing of nationalising BT seems to have been done by Diane Abbott and her magic calculator.
BT Openreach employs 33,000.
Labours costings seem to be based on them all being paid £7000 each.
With all employees of other broadband providers being thrown under a bus.
And this is meant to be serious politics?
God help us all!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Their costing of nationalising BT seems to have been done by Diane Abbott and her magic calculator.

Now that on its own deserves a star!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Bless your heart.
Its friday night and suggest you watch the last leg on channel 4.
Me will.
Antidote to election nonsense.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Tories: careful spending and deliver brexit.
Yet: evil tories out!

Exactly, austerity was the best thing to happen to this bloody country since the war!
Here's a word that those softie Corbyn lefties don't want you to hear - 'Workhouses'! I'm sure you will remember those glorious houses of industry, oldcarpy! And then wholly agree with my proposal that opposed to education, these young'ns (2-13yr olds - and who frankly, are too educated) should be placed into the work force from as early as possible so that they may contribute to society.
edit on 15-11-2019 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It's the policies of stupidity. Most people don't need, or want ultra fast fibre broadband. My mother's perfectly happy, and so am I. Arguably, the whole wired network will be obsolete in a decade as 6G kicks in (or whatever).

Nationalising is a foolish path. There are other ways to deal with challenges than to get a bunch of civil servants running things.

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Now that on its own deserves a star!!!

Haha very true! Granted, Diane Abbott is a highly educated person, but what does that equate to in real terms?

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

a reply to: gortex

You are not wrong there mate.
Don' t vote or the govt will get in!
None of the above!
But, if Jezbollah and McMao get in?
God help us all!
BT Openreach employs 33,000.
Labours costings seem to be based on them all being paid £7000 each.
With all employees of other broadband providers being thrown under a bus.
God help us all!

Tax payers should absolutely contribute to BT, a bastion of British society! I have to confess I don't know anyone who is foolish enough to subscribe to their ridiculously high subscriptions but that is besides the point!
edit on 15-11-2019 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I think a right a good few miners, steelworkers, teachers and school weans might disagree there.

We ken just fine which cow was responsible and it was not a Labour flavoured Moo.

It's not the rose-coloured specs that's your issue but distinguishing the forest from the trees.

Let's just say "The Wheels on the Bus" clearly is not on the Eton playlist in spite of Johnson’s 6 or 7 children.

edit on 15-11-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

It's the policies of stupidity. Most people don't need, or want ultra fast fibre broadband. My mother's perfectly happy, and so am I. Arguably, the whole wired network will be obsolete in a decade as 6G kicks in (or whatever).

Nationalising is a foolish path. There are other ways to deal with challenges than to get a bunch of civil servants running things.

I don't know about you but I am offended that Jeremy Corbyn thinks my vote can

be bought for the price of broadband, which in the scale of things is probably my

smallest outgoing!!

edit on 15-11-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Labor conjured up national broadband in Australia its at last count a $51 billion dollar white elephant,even pink elephant at some stages

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I think a right a good few miners, steelworkers, teachers and school weans might disagree there.
We ken just fine which cow was responsible and it was not a Labour flavoured Moo.

All I can say is she must have been a truly remarkable woman as she was voted in

to power because of the atrocious mess the labour government was making?

While the strikes were largely over by February 1979, the Labour government's inability to contain the strikes earlier helped lead to Margaret Thatcher's Conservative victory in the 1979 general election

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Maybe a little forgetful
but hard to argue fact?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Tax payers should absolutely contribute to BT, a bastion of British society!

Given the amount of tax payers money they've already had for little return I'd call them a leech on British society , the rural broadband scheme cost tax payers billions and ultimately failed to deliver what was promised , BT is a goverment contractor with its nose firmly in the trough so tax payers already contribute.
edit on 16-11-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join