It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traitors will attempt to bring down UK government next week

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
On the Cromwell speech, here's what I provided from Carlyle when the same question was asked on another thread (when I saw the question again without my response, I thought i was getting Mandela syndrome)

Links? There are times when you can't beat old-fashioned books. Let me tell you the story from Thomas Carlyle;
"Come, come! We have had enough of this- I will put an end to your prattling [stepping forth into the floor of the house and clamping on his hat and occasionally stamping on the floor with his feet]- It is not fit that you should sit here any longer. You have sat here too long for any good you have been doing lately [in fact this famous sentence is not in quotation marks and looks like Carlyle's own comment]. You shall now give place to better men!- Call them in" [This being addressed to the leader of twenty or thirty grim musketeers]...
"You call yourselves a Parliament? I say you are no Parliament! Some of you are drunkards...
How can you be a Parliament for God's people? Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
Then of course the business with the mace- "What shall we do with this bauble? Take it away!"

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The speech attributed to Cromwell was in 1653? and Thomas Carlyle

was not born till 1795 the wording is similar but slightly different

Could it be a slight case of plagiarism?

Just goes to prove nothing has changed in 360 odd years.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Like all good historians, Carlyle used documentation, one of his sources being Cromwell's own letters.

Here is his account of the way he put the speech together;
Algernon Sidney, who was sitting in the House at the time, "has left distinct note of the affair". "Less distinct we have from Bulstrode, who was also there, who was also in some points wilfully wrong. Solid Ludlow was far off in Ireland, but gathered many details in after-years amd faithfully wrote them down in the unappeasable indignation of his heart. Combining these three originals, we have after various perusals and collations and considerations obtained the following authentic, moderately conceivable account".

The only unorthodox aspect of Carlyle's approach is the habit of interjecting personal commentary. As I said in the first reply, punctuation suggests that the famous "You have sat here too long..." is one of them.

Your other account may be mixing the sources in a different way. Perhaps relying too much on the "wilfully wrong" Bulstrode?

edit on 28-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You are Jim Lloyd out of "the Archers" and I claim my £5, Prof.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
I've never listened to the Archers, so the reference has me stumped.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

nae way is he an active member of ATS ?

You gotta be #tin me

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

good its only mums and old people who do !

My maw wont stop listening to the arches every time I see her and we go in the car , its the bloody archers !

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Just catching up:

Ian Blackford a member here?
I'll never be able to treat our valued Scottish members the same, whilst being articulate and obviously passionate he does strike me as being obsessive and a bit of an arsehole....now who fits that profile?

I see carpy's rather unhealthy obsession with the Corbyn/Abbott sex thing has reared its particularly ugly head again.

Whilst Cromwell's appraisal of the MP's who infested Westminster in his time may resonate today it is worth mentioning that he betrayed the British people and many whom he fought along side, he was responsible for the slaughter of possibly millions in Ireland and was a religious bigot whose own faith was unbendingly Puritanical.
He was passionately opposed to universal suffrage and when Lord Protector exercised powers far exceeding those of the monarch he fought so passionately against.

The Archers?
I've drank it but it's not really my sort of tipple.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

You are not missing much to be honest.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Cromwell is a really just like Churchill

good in the history books but upon further inspection they are pretty rotten people !

Aye Cromwell was a total bigot

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I agree about Cromwell being an arsehole but his words still resonate.
Unhealthy obsession?
You wind-up merchant, you.
As for obsessive Scottish arseholes on here, who could you possibly mean?
Our Scottish friends on here are shining beacons of reason and fair mindedness.
Mostly.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Im still; laughin at Ian Blackford being an ATS member, he is pure all over the bonnybridge UFO threads
and the flat earth debate , fake moon landings, black eyed kids, Big foot, JFK , gulf of tonkin, 9/11
loves a conspiracy !
hahahah

imagine

well I mean its not too far fetched, I mean I was out painting graffiti with Nicola Sturgeon in September

so its totally possible

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Speaking of the man hahhahah he is always being heckled

just saying, we are constantly told to "know our place"

in that other place

Ian Blackford heckled by conservatives
edit on 29-10-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

Also I clicked on that , then watched another video which shows Ian Blackford say that a statement that May gave was "not true"

then the other bench makes out that he said she was a liar , the level of dishonesty and child like bickering among "ADULTS"
is mental

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Anyway enough of me defending the SNP

what about Boris , he keeps banging on about Scotland and giving up our fisheries to the EU

Im sure boris has heard of the Faroe Islands
you know that small nation with the special arrangement it has with the EU over their fisheries
and how they arent in the EU but still get to have special agreements to trade with the EU

but still get to trade with whoever they like with fish outside of the EU Faroe Islands

Oh and whats that you say The Danes, they use Krone and are also in the EU

wow

who knew the EU could be so accommodating and willing to compromise on trade regulations and special agreements with small sovereign nations
wow they keep their autonomy and can still trade with the EU

I wonder who else may benefit from such a special arrangement

To add to this we are told that we are sacrificing our sovereignty , when its a lie , we are leaving a political union where our sovereignty isnt worth anything ,. and rejoining a Union of single market trade .

Not a single political union like we are currently in , where our voice isnt heard by anyone

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If Ian Blackford really is a member of ATS I challenge him to use the phrase 'Deny Ignorance' in a prominent Parliamentary speech or interview.
Then we will know he is 'one of us' whilst still retaining his online anonymity.

I would be surprised though, the vast majority of Nats I've met or listened to have been very much one-trick ponies and are absolutely incapable of holding any sort of conversation about anything without turning it into something to do with Scottish independence.....without a doubt some of the most boring people I have ever met in my entire life.

As I've stated repeatedly I like 'The Scots' - It'll be a sorry day for us all if they ever choose the independence option for themselves.
Can't imagine how much trouble that hard border will cause.....no more cheap booze!

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Well what do you expect , its all in the name of their party and in their manifesto

I suppose you cant fault them for sticking to their guns and trying to get their manifesto goals ticked off .

I too Agree

Ian , if you are reading this , slip in "deny ignorance" in your next parliamentary speech and we will ken you are yin ae us

YOU ARE ONE OF US, YOU ARE ONE OF US, YOU ARE ONE OF US !

hahaha me on threads, e.g. regarding the discovery of the dual tone of merging black holes , "inserts something about Scottish independence"

because the scottish budget had something about a black hole hahhahahaha

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
On a point of order, Mr. Speaker;
Technically, to say that a statement is untrue is equivalent to saying that the person who said it has lied.
And in fact the claim that a statement is untrue is supposed to be banned in the House of Commons, along with other "unparliamentary language". Hence the legend that Churchill once invented "terminological inexactitude" as a way round the ban.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

well thats weird , what if they were just confirming that something was said that was untrue ?

if something is untrue its untrue ,

I can say something is untrue , without being a liar

In this case I think Ian was stating that , Mays statement was untrue as in not factual information
he didnt say that she was a liar, he said that her statement about a supposed fact was untrue

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Let's leave the serious debate aside for a day and laugh at the notion of Ian Blackford being a member of ATS, Corbyn shagging Abbott - much to carpy's continuing disgust - and Sturgeon spray painting graffiti in Govan or somewhere similar in Glasgow - I can't imagine her style advancing much further than predictable sloganeering and hardly be described as urban and innovative.

Perhaps next we'll be getting Rees-Mogg's take on Project Blue Beam or the legendary Dark Night thread here on ATS.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The traitors now want to give 16 and 17 year olds the right to vote... and wait for it.. allow EU citizens in this country to vote also.

They will push through both amendments into the bill to call an election in December, which means there will be no election - the bill will be pulled.

edit on 29/10/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join