It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traitors will attempt to bring down UK government next week

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast
I don't see why this should work, because Scottish law is a separate system that applies to Scotland not to the whole nation.
so- a) There is no reason why British law should accept this official as spokesman for the nation.
b) Even more important- there is no reason why international law should accept him as spokeman for the nation. The only response from the European leaders would have to be "You're not qualified to talk to us and make this request. Go away."

edit on 4-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
If the EU are sufficently convinced that Boris can and will ignore these blocking moves, then refusing a deal now turns into a gamble whih they may not want to take.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Actually during the prorogation case it was fairly clear that the Scottish court of sessions does have jurisdiction over Westminster. If the government disagrees with the ruling they would then need to go to the Supreme Court.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I'm not lawyer enough to have read the ruling, but I would be surprised if it was made on that basis, rather than on the basic principles of the rights of the House of Commons.
And I would be astonished if the European Council of Ministers accepted a letter from a minor local official as a serious diplomatic document representing the British government.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Early days. We’ll see what the Court of Session decides.

But the U.K. Government, even as it is being located outside Scotland at Westminster, has to comply with Scottish judicial decisions or, if they disagree, to take it up to the Supreme Court again for a final decision.

I mean, following your logic, if the U.K. Government doesn’t comply with Scottish judicial decisions then why should I ? I think I might go do some robbery this afternoon then.

Your Point B is interesting. I have no idea how the European negotiators would react to such an approach from the Scottish courts. Interesting times.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
If the EU are sufficently convinced that Boris can and will ignore these blocking moves, then refusing a deal now turns into a gamble whih they may not want to take.

Anyway, the point is moot as the EU have pretty much dismissed the latest attempt to come up with a different way to deal with the Northern Ireland problem. It’s like taking your homework to the teacher to be told “…you must do better”!

I suppose the EU are banking on the Remainers in the UK Parliament and associated vested interest in stopping Brexit. Even the Republic of Ireland’s Prime Minister has now publicly said that the British don’t want Brexit. Presumably that’s why he’s trying his best to stop it happening, eh?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
I mean, following your logic, if the U.K. Government doesn’t comply with Scottish judicial decisions then why should I ? I think I might go do some robbery this afternoon then.

I take it that you're in Scotland, so Scottish law would be relevant to your actions for that reason alone.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Someone raised this point to me the other day

Why doesnt England just leave the UK union , and Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland can stay in a Union and in the EU

England leaves the UK and EU and gets all the closed borders and controls it likes

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Why doesnt England just leave the UK union , and Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland can stay in a Union and in the EU

England leaves the UK and EU and gets all the closed borders and controls it likes

....because Wales overwhelmingly voted to leave EU and is a Principality to boot perhaps?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

But why ? If, according your argument, the U.K. Government can safely ignore Scottish laws and Scottish court decisions, why the hell as a Scot should I obey the law ? Seriously.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

principality schmincipality what difference does it make which royal rules the land , the Prince of Wales is still one of them, he is a British Royal ? they are all #s, also like being a sovereign nation actually means anything in the "united" kingdom

Aye , well why don't Wales and England leave the UK union and the EU and leave Scotland and Northern Ireland in the UK and EU ?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

We shouldnt hahaha , but as I said , being a sovereign nation doesn't mean anything any more .

So long as you are a member of the Uk then you are subservient to Westminster so it appears

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
But why ? If, according your argument, the U.K. Government can safely ignore Scottish laws and Scottish court decisions, why the hell as a Scot should I obey the law ? Seriously.

Because you're in Scotland. I can ignore Scottish laws and court decisions because I'm in England.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

So Scots in Scotland can ignore English court decisions ? My nephew, for example, he’s wanted on a charge in Torquay for some Summer “over exuberance”. We’ll just ignore that then ?

Yaaaas. Cheers for that. I might just jump in the car and do some cross border robbery then, dive down to Carlisle and mug an old woman for her pension then dive back over the border. English criminal law doesn’t apply in Scotland.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

No honestly the Scottish Court of Sessions has jurisdiction over Westminster.

It’s basically why the government had to head off to the Supreme Court over prorogation to appeal the Scottish decision.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
He was in England when the act took place, which made him subject to English law. In the same way I would be subject to Scottish law if I went into Sctland and committed a crime there, or if I was running a business in Scotland.
You're just being picky, though, You know I'm right about the basic principle.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

You’re saying that the U.K. Government which taxes me and which ultimately still has all legislative authority over the U.K. is completely beyond the law in the country where I live.

That can’t possibly be correct.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

*alleged act lol

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I just had a thought , why Doesnt Scotland just do what the Faroe Islands done with Denmark

they have the most bizarre EU situation going on !

it actually is so puzzling

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Scotland doesn't want to leave the UK and the UK includes England. The SNP were resoundingly defeated in the once in a generation referendum on the issue.

For all thier bluff and bluster the SNP are not Scotland and don't speak for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join