It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: CIA authorized to send terror suspects abroad for interrogation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Central Intelligence Agency has been given broad powers to send suspected terrorist to other countries for interrogation. The article publish by the New York Times indicated that this edict was issued by the White House after the September 11,2001 attacks. All told as many as 150 people have ben subject to this. An unnamed senior official gave the Times a detailed description of the program in what he claimed was an effort to dispute allegations that the government sent people abroad to be tortured.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK (CP) - The White House gave the Central Intelligence Agency broad powers to send suspected terrorists to foreign countries for interrogation after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, the New York Times reported Sunday.

Up to 150 people have been caught up in the secret program, portrayed by American officials as a cost-saving alternative to holding and questioning less significant suspects in U.S.-run facilities, the Times said.

The newspaper mentioned Canadian Maher Arar as one of those who reported beatings and torture during their months of detention abroad, before they were released without being charged with any crime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting dilemma for the administration. they are charged with protecting the people of the United States. For those who would attack us, our constitutional rights and systems in place mean little to them. its clear that we are fighting a different war than we have in the past. Different times comes for different measures. If the legality of this could be tested and held up in court, I would feel a bit better about it. However, I also worry that if we stray to far from the Constitution, then we may be no worse than those who target our way of life.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yes, this is a different war under a unprecedented sociopolitical atmosphere where fear and terror remain rampant on both sides, still, one also has to realize that it's U.S. foriegn policy in many of these Middle Eastern countries and thier ignorant response to terrorist that spawned these 'unconstitutional' reactions. This war on terror should be a war on Al-Queda and Osama Bin Laden, not anyone who simply denounces the U.S.

Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Due to the non-accountability of the current administration if this becomes heated topic they will probly blame former "Over zealous" CIA officals for the wrong-doing, and not themselves

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Yes, this is a different war under a unprecedented sociopolitical atmosphere where fear and terror remain rampant on both sides, still, one also has to realize that it's U.S. foriegn policy in many of these Middle Eastern

Yes, it is far to simplistic to simply blame Bush as is the norm here on ATS. Its almost a pavlovian responce of sorts.

\The seeds of ME terrorism go back to the toppling of Mossadeq in Iran. The CIA in what was called Operation Ajax, toppled a democraticaly elected leader in Iran and replaced him with Reza Shah who's policies in turn allowed the rise of the Islamic state in Iran. Here is a thread on Operation Ajax, i started a while back:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I never blamed Bush for anything, however, one will now, furthermore, Mr. Clinton who had 3 chances to oust Osama Bin Laden, should also be held accountable for his lack of response to a serious threat. This entire spurious war in Iraq created a new generation of terrorists infatuated with the very thought of chiding those who brought them a very suspect freedom and liberty, or did you not realize that? The very fact that Saddam Hussain was left for 2 decades after U.S. forces left, speaks volumes. I could go on for the reasons how the U.S. has created more terrorists cells that it has enemies, but you understand this very well.

Deep

new topics

top topics

join