It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you Unite a fractured nation?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
What are the chances of that happening for any sustainable amount of time? Left to there own devices, people are just less stinky chimps at best. And think about this? Today there really is and most of the people whining the most, have aboslutely zero to no problems. Now imagine what would happen if the # really did hit the fan, and there was more issues out there then people favorite figure head.

Which as anybody that isn't brain dead knows. Means absolutely nothing in the scope of things.

Besides politics is really just a waste of time. I remeber years ago, it was Obama and his birth certificate none stop on here and other media. And what do we have today? Oh Trump and his collusion with Russia. As if any of that # means anything.

Remember that old line, kettle meet pot, your long lost cousin? Hes come back for a visit.

As if there is anybody out there in both parties and on all accounts that is not corrupt. Its in fact pretty much an impossibility that you would be there and not be corrupt. And the internet? Ya, with every gain there is a loss. But not only that, it also has shown and brought to the forefront what people really think and what people really would do if they ever get the reigns in there hands.

Really as another has said. Its not really even about the opposition being in the right. Its more like both and all just want to have power over the other. What can I say, its like that song, everybody wants to rule the world. And generally when one side winds over the other. Well usually that is latter jotted down in the history books in the "bad times" section. And there is usually something your supposed to learn from it or some such jabber.

Not only is peace or the status quote maintained and does not happen by itself, but the believe that everybody can see eye to eye, is a illogical fallacy. You would be lucky to get two people to agree on there favorite pop star.

Ha! Forgot that Lorde did a cover of the Tears for Fears song. Its not bad.

edit on 12amSundayam292019f0amSun, 29 Sep 2019 00:27:58 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
As Greg Gutfeld said "Mutually assured forgiveness."

Wisdom is prerequisite to forgiveness. One of the hardest things to do in life is to try to understand things or people we don't like, don't agree with, things or people we hate or even loathe. The path to wisdom and forgiveness is a difficult one. Maybe the first step is to have the humility to accept that we could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   

How do you unite a fractured nation?

Well, in my opinion, trying to unite a fractured nation is like trying to solve world hunger.

Both are laudable goals, but there is simply no way to even get your arms around the problem, let alone solve it. There are simply too many variables, constituencies and moving parts.

So rather than just throwing our hands up in the air and giving up, let's try and take it in very small steps without even worrying about what comes next. We can burn those bridges when we come to them.

In my opinion, the first step *has* to be that we treat each other with courtesy & respect regardless of opinions or positions.

You may hate what members of the "other side" say and stand for, but you respond with courtesy & civility. Or, if it makes you too crazy - don't respond at all or maybe you can say, "I understand that's your opinion". That's it. Period.

Those that can't even follow that one simple step are just ignored by everyone else - on both sides. People tend to shut up pretty quickly if they sense no one is listening. Then, maybe the next time they open their yaps it will be with some measure of courtesy & respect so someone will listen and respond. I think both sides can do this with a little practice.

That's the compact that all sides agree to to get things started.

After a short while of doing the above, we'll find ourselves communicating in a quieter, more civil world - both online and in real life. Once the noise has been turned down I think the next steps towards achieving the larger goal (uniting a fractured nation) will become more clear to people *and* both sides can then discuss different ideas on what those next steps might be in an open-minded and productive way. In this quieter and more respectful environment, I believe a consensus can be reached relatively quickly on one or two of those ideas so that we can then figure out and initiate Step 2 - whatever that may be.

Then wash, rinse & repeat until we get where we want to go.

It might be worth a try. Thoughts anyone?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

10 years ago... heck, 5 years ago... I would have been 100% on board with your suggestion. Today? Eh, can't hurt, good idea, but I hold out no hope for it.

What has changed?

Those words, the very words that at one time would not hurt me despite sticks and stones breaking my bones, are now weaponized. Want to speak one's opinion at many universities? Expect to fail the class, possibly be expelled for "hate," or be physically attacked with no recourse for protection. People have drive across the country in order to shoot and kill those of the opposing party. The accusation of "racism" is justification for removing lifetime achievements, property, status... just ask Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea, Paula Deen, Dwayne "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman. Wearing a hat supporting making the country great again is now an excuse for being beaten or attacked. Eating peacefully in a restaurant is only possible if one subscribes to the "correct" ideology, a methodology not founded by any grassroots movement, but by a sitting Senator. Antifa terrorizes whole sections of cities, scaring the residents with fascist-style activities while declaring themselves as "anti-fascist," and the police allow it.

There is a story now about a guy who played a joke on TV, holding up a sign asking for beer money. When it went viral, he gave the money raised to a children's hospital, and the beer company he mentioned matched it. Then a reporter found some tweets from the guy's teenage years, a time of his life that he apologized for, and yet the brewery disassociated themselves from him, costing those children's hospitals untold money that could have helped find cures for childhood diseases. All over a tweet made when the guy was young and stupid.

To beat all that, the reporter was guilty of the same thing, and has been fired. Poetic justice, yes, but that doesn't help those children much.

These are real-life attacks, not differences in ideology. They are vicious, relentless, vile acts that cannot be ignored by refusing to participate. Those who commit them don't want to talk... they want to control, to subjugate. The only way to stop them is with like or greater force, and since the system has been so corrupted, that itself can land one in prison for daring to exercise reasonable self-protection.

No, we are too far now for your suggestion to be applicable. The violence will increase as will the destruction of society. It is now self-perpetuating. If nothing changes, and I see no evidence that anything of importance will, this can only end in a total eradication of one group by the other. War. Genocide. Waste. Ruin.

I would that your words had come earlier. Perhaps there would be time left to use them.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Tell the Americans if they clean up their country a bit. Get a strong handle on their borders. account for evryone in the country and free health care and high minimum wages are a possibility.

But for now.the country is spending billions on people not even supposed to be there.

Mediocrity is now celebrated and the fast progress of the u.s.. Has stalled.

Get back to common sense

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What has been lost is the idea of losers consent. That you hold an election and the losers consent to governance by the winners till next election.

That's gone. In its place is continual determination the thwart the enemy at all cost and by all means.

It's hard to come back as we now see our political opposites as not just wrong but bad people, evil doers, enemies to be crushed.

Democracy cannot function like this and we are watching it die.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't believe it's possible to unite people that want different goals.
So yeah, it's impossible in my opinion.

We have to draw the line on limitations of elected officials tighter. They have divided us to conquer their territory as for the most part corruption is not being reported but it is being graded. We have some A+ material out there to view just with FISA abuse alone.

edit on 29-9-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

I actually don't think we have a divided nation, what we a have is a corrupt media that is owned by the old deep state that has controlled our government for the last 50+ years....

YES!

And you can add some people in the government plantation are afraid to go it alone thanks to the lack of education compared to competitor nations. The standards are lowered so little Johnny doesn't feel bad about himself. Meanwhile we are turning into an idiocracy. The classes move on to the next subject before the children have mastered the 1st one well enough to understand the next subject. Work at your own pace would be smart and children not up to speed get special education to identify their needs as I believe some systems do make good faith efforts to id the child's issues.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think if it where individual issues we would be able to easily come together. But thats not the case. The left is talking about throwing in the towel on the foundational principles of the nation. They attack it constant,Obama openly said its outdated, many on the radical left ran with this and openly say its a meaningless piece of paper. And on the other side many on right read that as destroy it. There is no moderate anything in politics anymore. Moderate left are shouted down, moderate right are silent for the most part. There is no logical thinking, no country first in politics. For the United States its extremely bad because of our diversity. Without the Constitution It means we have zero common fundamental principles. I would be optimistic but every voice of reason is snubbed out quick fast and in a hurry. Not going play the blame game, we all know there is plenty to go around.
edit on 29-9-2019 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't believe it's possible to unite people that want different goals.
So yeah, it's impossible in my opinion.

How do we unite - well basically the same way we ended up with different goals.

The media, and the education system has to start brainwashing people with American values instead of communist authoritarian values.

The thing is American values are truly the values of our entire humanity who wish simply to live life as they see fit. Meaning we believe everyone has the right to live to their own enjoyment and not be considered a criminal for protecting themselves from harm.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Blaine91555

How does one compromise on the Bill of Rights?

You don't, period end of discussion.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Sublimecraft

With all due respect, that's not uniting. That's eliminating the opposition.

From the democrats playbook:

#BAMN

Plenty of other political parties my friend, plenty of moderates and centrists, plenty of libertarians - once upon a time the democrats may have been the 'opposition' - today they are a clear and present danger.

Gonna have to agree here.

When you can have an elected congressman get up on national television and recount a fake phone call as real, a former VP talking about his quid pro quo out in the open, and all the other examples of "rules for thee, not for (D)" in Washington, It shows a clear effort by Democrats to attain power and exert their will....BAMN. Smells like tyranny to me.
edit on 29-9-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" How do you Unite a fractured nation? "

By Throwing the " High Profile " Dysfunctional Law Breakers in Jail as a Warning to the Rest of the " Rabble " .......

BING BING BING..

Mic Drop!

poooof poof ughmmp~

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
US and Them. The old divide. The separation of identity. The pitting of one group against another. That today is tearing the country apart in some ways like never before. You really want to unite the country again? Change the mindset. There will always be an Us and Them mentality. But rather than Conservative and Liberal is has to be We the People and the Government.

Us and them and after all , we're only ordinary men,
Me and you, God only knows it's not what we would choose

would chose
to do
to do

With , without
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
So far it seems that ropes and ladders play a major part. You can leave ladders, ropes and even shelters, warning signs, signs pointing towards worn paths, etc, behind, which other players can use. Killing is a big no-no since it creates a "void out" and I'm assuming those characters will be seen again in the Hades-like world. Stealth and cooperation with other players appear to be major key elements.

Also fascinated by the balance mechanics affecting Sam's walking and stamina. Only Kojima could make a game about walking around delivering goods seem fun and interesting!

We ARE talking about Death Stranding, right?

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

It's not really about agreeing is it. It's about respecting each others space.

Perhaps unite is a bad word. More like peaceful coexistence.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

It's not really about agreeing is it. It's about respecting each others space.

Perhaps unite is a bad word. More like peaceful coexistence.

I'm curious...

How do the 3 amigos and the rest of the mods feel about ATS becoming a large contributor to the "fractured nation" as Bez so eloquently put it?

Respect and peaceful coexistence seems to be a thing of the past even in what used to be called BTS.

Not to mention the more and more frequent call for civil war.
edit on 29-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm curious...

How do the 3 amigos and the rest of the mods feel about ATS becoming a large contributor to the "fractured nation" as Bez so eloquently put it?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I do not speak for ATS; I speak for me, and for me alone. I'm curious as well about something... who would you have us stifle?

Me? Blaine? olaru12?

ATS exists as a haven for free speech. There are a few restrictions, but very few. Compared to any other social media website I know of, ATS is the most diverse with respect to viewpoints and the most open about allowing free speech. That's the precise reason why there is so much disagreement.

So, in order to end the disagreements and 'unite' ATS, I assume you are suggesting ATS remove some offenders' abilities to post. I would love to get a list of who you believe should be denied their freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is freedom to disagree. If there is no freedom to disagree, there is no freedom of speech.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So, in order to end the disagreements and 'unite' ATS, I assume you are suggesting ATS remove some offenders' abilities to post. I would love to get a list of who you believe should be denied their freedom of speech.

Now you're just being silly. You assumed wrong! I just asked a simple question and why you jumped to this BS is beyond me.

I treasure you and everybodys freedom of speech as much as my own and exercise it all over this site.

I know many on the board would wish I would shut up and follow the current conservative path. Forget about it, I'm comfortable being a "people like you" and will be the opposition until you ban me.

I don't want anyone removed. Even the trolls are entertaining.

edit on 29-9-2019 by olaru12 because: brenda ??

posted on Sep, 29 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Then what, may I ask, is your suggestion? What would you do?

I am not trying to jump on you, just pointing out the consequences of what you ask. If you know of another way to unite, please tell us.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join