It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you Unite a fractured nation?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Blaine91555

How does one compromise on the Bill of Rights?

I suppose you don't to be honest.

Although I think it's not exactly true that people all believe the same as the party they belong to. I'm guessing your mainly referring to gun rights and I honestly don't know a single Democrat who wants to lose that right either. The MSM and Internet paint a surreal picture of us all being in the tank for a parties platform.

I think another thing that leads to division is where we come from. Rural and urban people will never think the same due to living in a different culture and reality.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Are the Lefts ideas extremist or just different. Both sides think the other side are extremists.

One thing for sure is that nothing can be fixed with both sides yelling over the top of one another. Both sides having to have it all their way.

You call them extremists, they call you Nazi, it's all the same.
edit on 9/27/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I believe a good start would be to give DC an enema. We need to get rid of the two party system and have a no party system. Having a two party system in itself has division in it. I believe the citizens of this country need to have more say in how this country is run. The big things like healthcare and budgets should be put on referendums that way our representative know what we are thinking. All of us might be smarter than one of them. Term limits. You are there to serve not make a career of it.
Just my two cents.

edit on 27-9-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: musicismagic

I see a problem with that -- namely the presumption of guilt based on paying cash. If the nation you live in is supposed to operate on an innocent until proven guilty system, then this sort of behavior could not take place in the US simply because one paid cash for a medical service.

But its the law here. Yes, we have a program (govt.) that helps out 100% for those that can not pay, like the homeless, people that lost their jobs and well I don't know. But you must register with the city you live it and if you don't it will catch up with you in the future. You see, the Japanese govt. is NOT anti its people, although if you asked me some 40 years ago, I would say "yes, indeed", but times have changed here. They simply want the criminal off the streets, common sense as President Trump says.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I love that, but aside from a zombie apocalypse, a giant meteor, a revolution, it's not going to happen.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Pretty certain it’ll be resolved through war right across the western world

No other options with enemy living with enemy

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The whole urban/rural thing is true, but again, you see a whole lot of governing and policy proposals based on experiences with urban life.

Look at the idea that we should all buy electric cars for example.

Electric cars are great for what they're good at, but for people living in the country, certain types of work, etc., they just are not practical, but people like AOC's handlers who wrote her Green Nude Eel write it out as if everyone lives the type of niche where an electric is workable and practical.

They won't hear people who tell them an electric isn't a good idea and won't fit their lifestyle. They instead want to tell us *we* must be made to fit what *they* decide.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Please don't shatter my dream...……….its all I have left.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Perhaps one method of compromise would be to acknowledge that and craft in exceptions to things based on that.

That would require the common sense to get beyond the idea of majority in a national sense and instead direct things towards majority in a local sense.

The Federal Government has pretty much blurred the lines between States Rights and them. Leaving as much power as possible in local hands is a good thing in that regard. We are in a battle between local government and Federal control of more and more things.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Even local control is problematic these days. How many states are more or less just city-states controlled by large municipalities?

Illinois is one that comes to mind right away.

A lot of the movements you see to break up states are born out of this frustration smaller more rural populations feel with being governed by the one or two large cities in their state that don't see eye to eye with them on anything and refuse to listen.
edit on 27-9-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hate is always stronger than compromise. This thread proves it if the members responding are a representation of the American demographic.

Pretty certain it’ll be resolved through war right across the western world No other options with enemy living with enemy

Yep, that seems to be the consensus TritonTarnis...even if a democrat did get elected the right would revolt and the cities will burn; a peaceful transition of power seems impossible... So be it....

As a "people like you" I just don't care anymore...

edit on 27-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Then perhaps go even more local than the State level with more things.

There will never be anything that satisfies everyone.

One thing I know is if we let ourselves be convinced that we must have it our own way all the time and that compromise and peaceful coexistence is not possible, it will never be possible and a self fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Look to the Middle East.

They (for the most part) have one religion, but minor differences has kept that region at war with itself for millennia.

Can a large population of humans ever co-exist with one another?

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

See, here's the problem - Right now, there is a large faction who thinks that there has to be one solution for everyone in the country.

They can't be content to let people figure things out for themselves and live in ways that work best for them.

They can't say, "Hey, we have a group that can't figure out how to provide their own health care, so let's deal with them." Nope. They have to find a way to meddle with everyone in the whole damn country all at once and by force to do it the one way they deem to be acceptable and control everyone whether or not we all want to be controlled that way or that way works for all of us.

They're great at trying to fix every problem right now in similar ways.

If they just acknowledged that there are quite a few people who do actually have it all figured out and tackled problems without breaking things that don't need fixing, left most of us the heck alone to take care of ourselves and only dealt with those who actually had problems, this might not be an issue.

But welcome to the world of authoritarian "I Know How to Live Your Life Better Than You"-ism.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

One would hope so, but then we've not progressed much have we.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

We're the same creature but with shinier tools.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

But welcome to the world of authoritarian "I Know How to Live Your Life Better Than You"-ism.

Then fine, bring on the goddamn nukes and blood sacrifices... I don't care...I've made peace with my God..."Apocalypse Now"

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Then fine, bring on the goddamn nukes and blood sacrifices... I don't care...I've made peace with my God..."Apocalypse Now"

The better solution would be to just leave people alone and stop trying to make them be what they aren't or live in ways that don't work for them.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How? You stop electing country hating politicians who get up in front of people and tell outright boldfaced lies about our President just because you dont like him. You dont parrot media who does the same. And finally, dont do it yourself.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Wasn't that the original intent of our republic? That we would elect local representatives at a state level and then they would elect the federal representatives? Were we ever intended to directly elect the president?

I live in a sparsely populated state and our representatives cater directly to our largest voting block, the older generation of 60+ year olds. Right or wrong I have no idea, but change only happens in this state one death at a time. Maybe the older system and values were better than what we have today, but if that were the case, why are we here in this supposed downward spiral? I think simple things like hemp production and cultivation would be a boon to this state, especially to replace paper from trees and even some plastic substitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join