It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Greta opposed to massive immigration to the First World?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

So they shouldn't come because they'd consume resources and create greenhouse gases as dramatically as we do? Wouldn't it be more noble to suggest we reduce our consumption to match theirs?

Thats a back to front reasoning!!.....They come for the higher standard of living.

Are you suggesting we reduce consumption to match theirs, while they then enjoy

our better standards?

Very noble

edit on 27-9-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Immigration is one thing we actually have control over, or we could if we wanted to. If we really wanted to reduce immigration levels to zero we could come pretty darn close. It only takes the will to do it. After all, this is our country and we get to say who can or can’t come here, or we can say no one at all may come here.

I know one thing for sure: If we decide tomorrow to allow only enough immigrants per year to maintain our current population level, we would prevent enormous amounts of greenhouse gases from being released, an unbelievable amount of environmental destruction and the depletion of vast quantities of our natural resources. That’s indisputable.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

Well you know the numbers are not going down the way, what you want is beside the point as long as people keep breeding and the population keeps on increasing you have to give them what they need.

And what they will need are indeed more schools, hospitals, highways, housing, water, and sewage treatment plants, power plants, and oil refineries in abundance.

Might want to consider calming down on the prisons all the same, not like you are short of those just now, and you want fewer people in there, not more, so they can be productive members of society as opposed to the alternative.

As to your current standard of living, well that will be up to the bankers and corporations really unless we do something about it rather sharpish.

End of the day through your nation is not short of space, that's the prison system.

The impact on the environment is what's in question, the resources, diminishing as they are will be fought over tooth and nail i imagine, unless we get our act together.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace

originally posted by: TheGreazel

So choose my leftist/environmentalist friends: Mother Earth and our children’s future, or immigration. Which is more important to you?

Immigration does not remove greenhouse gas emission , just look at low density countryside with lots of livestock , what do you think the amount of methane they produce does to the enviroment.

Your just moving the "problem" there will be the same growing amount of people and industry to support them.

OR i didnt understand this thread , thats a possibility too , running om 4 hours sleep a day this week

And i am not a enviromentalist or leftie , Just a random guy on planet earth for the ride , i don't care about global warming , we build all this to make a quick buck without thinking about the longer consequences.
gotta reap what you sow.

What I’m trying to say is, immigration to America and other First World nations greatly increases greenhouse gas emissions. People living in the Third World cause fewer emissions because they don’t consume as much as we do. When they move here, their consumption of resources and creation of greenhouse gases rise dramatically.

Yea, but they are also the most filthy like they were land fills. You can thank Chinas white privileged, supply in demand system that used to be communist for that.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
a reply to: eletheia

exactly.

this chick is a high school dropout.

and everyone is told to worship her.

give me a break. someone like s0ros is bankrolling her. you know she is flying first class and staying at hotel suites as she 'lectures' around the world.

she is only famous because of her heritage and she is promoting agenda.

Have any evidence of this, or is it just your belief?

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
This CHILD has no legitimate independent thoughts on the details of the system she supposedly hates so much. She is merely a political pawn being used by eco fascists to push an agenda.

If these people actually cared about saving the planet they wouldn't be berating us. They would be going after some of the biggest polluters on the planet.

Again! Any evidence?

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Even more....why are we talking about her at all?

She is a kid. A kid with a mental illness and some rather extreme parents.

Im not diminishing her value as a human. But I am absolutely diminishing her value as a public voice that deserves any more consideration than any other human with a voice and an opinion. She lacks the education and the breadth of world experience to take up so much real estate in our minds.

People with the same "mental illness" function in life like most other people!

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I don't understand why people hate Greta so much. She has a very simple message. Although the premise of what she is saying may not be correct. But in her eyes, if the premise is correct, she makes very good points:

The leftist way of thinking there may actually be some truth to the assertion burning fossil fuels in such high amounts will have serious consequences with regards to the quality of our environment.

But again, I don't think anything Greta is saying really matters. People are going to keep using cars and burning gasoline for a very long time.

Someone please explain to me why there is so much hatred for Greta? What threat does she pose to you that you have such a strong emotional response to what she is saying? WHAT IS IT???

I dislike her for a number of reasons, but I admit the main reason is rather petty: It’s her angry facial expressions and the way the little creep glared at Trump. Another, more rational reason I don’t like her is she’s a leftist. She’ll never, ever condemn massive immigration to the First World, even though it increases greenhouse gas emissions enormously. Because that would be racist.

Oh, you hate a kid, mainly because how she looked at trump! Seriously! He is not a god, or a higher being! He is just a man! A bit of an idiot, but still a man!
edit on 27-9-2019 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Are you suggesting we reduce consumption to match theirs, while they then enjoy

our better standards?

No, I'm suggesting that reducing our consumption to match theirs would be more noble than saying they must not join us in our over-consumption.

...the United States has an energy consumption rate of 11.4 kW per person. In developing countries, particularly those that are sub-tropical or tropical such as India, the per person energy use rate is closer to 0.7 kW.

The US consumes 25% of the world's energy with a share of global GDP at 22% and a share of the world population at 4.6%.

edit on 27-9-2019 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Why does the opening poster oppose anyone with the skills to work for a better wage?

I oppose increases in greenhouse gas emissions, which is what happens when poor people from the Third World move to a rich First World-nation and start living better. They inevitably consume more and emit more.

I admit there are other reasons I oppose mass immigration to the United States, mostly the loss of jobs for Americans, especially our young workers entering the job market and having to compete with cheap H-1B visa workers.

But those other reasons are a distraction from the main point I’m trying to make: Immigration to the First World is terribly harmful to the environment and is greatly increasing greenhouse gas emissions. If you’re worried about climate change you should be worried about immigration. Even opposed to it.

Check out Progressives for Immigration Reform at
progressivesforimmigrationreform.org... It’s an eye opener.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

...When they move here, their consumption of resources and creation of greenhouse gases rise dramatically.

So they shouldn't come because they'd consume resources and create greenhouse gases as dramatically as we do? Wouldn't it be more noble to suggest we reduce our consumption to match theirs?

Yes, you get it. They consume and emit more here. That’s a bad thing, right?

I suppose it might be more noble of us to reduce our consumption and emissions, but keep in mind we’d have to do it continuously as long as our population increases to maintain our standard of living.

Wouldn’t it be better for would-be immigrants to remain in their home nations while we work on reducing our consumption and emissions? Seems obvious that would be better for the environment and have less impact on climate change.

I sympathize with folks who want to better their lives (I’d probably do the same thing were I in their shoes), but immigration exacerbates climate change. You can’t have it both ways. We must choose between massive immigration or the well-being of virtually every living thing on Earth, including Greta and her generation.
edit on 28-9-2019 by Scapegrace because: Typo

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

I don't understand why people hate Greta so much. She has a very simple message. Although the premise of what she is saying may not be correct. But in her eyes, if the premise is correct, she makes very good points:

The leftist way of thinking there may actually be some truth to the assertion burning fossil fuels in such high amounts will have serious consequences with regards to the quality of our environment.

But again, I don't think anything Greta is saying really matters. People are going to keep using cars and burning gasoline for a very long time.

Someone please explain to me why there is so much hatred for Greta? What threat does she pose to you that you have such a strong emotional response to what she is saying? WHAT IS IT???

I dislike her for a number of reasons, but I admit the main reason is rather petty: It’s her angry facial expressions and the way the little creep glared at Trump. Another, more rational reason I don’t like her is she’s a leftist. She’ll never, ever condemn massive immigration to the First World, even though it increases greenhouse gas emissions enormously. Because that would be racist.

Oh, you hate a kid, mainly because how she looked at trump! Seriously! He is not a god, or a higher being! He is just a man! A bit of an idiot, but still a man!

I said it was for a petty reason; I’m not boasting about it. I can’t help it. She’s preachy and self-righteous and I just can’t stand that angry face on a child. I don’t see her giving up the modern conveniences we enjoy in the First World. Information technology, e.g., uses gigantic amounts of electricity. One estimate is 10 percent of all electricity used in the USA is for the Internet, and it could grow to 20 percent in the near future. If she’ll start living like a peasant I’ll have more respect for her.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

I said it was for a petty reason; I’m not boasting about it. I can’t help it. She’s preachy and self-righteous and I just can’t stand that angry face on a child. I don’t see her giving up the modern conveniences we enjoy in the First World. Information technology, e.g., uses gigantic amounts of electricity. One estimate is 10 percent of all electricity used in the USA is for the Internet, and it could grow to 20 percent in the near future. If she’ll start living like a peasant I’ll have more respect for her.

See, this is the real problem here. It's becsuse she is a child. She is a child, trying to make a difference, and certain people do not like that, and are offended by that. I mean, how can one child do this, when the majority of adults sit on their butts, doing absolutly nothing about this.

So, there is a mix of hatred and jealousy, yo the point where people are taking the p#ss out of her mental conditions. Yes! Fully grown adults are taking the p#ss out of a child's mental conditions!

Do, what do they do, they find any excuse to bring this child down. They will say things like not giving up modern conveniences. Firstly, you do not know what she has, or has not given up. And secondly, these changes have to be made from the top, not a few people who have decided to live in the woods, away from everything. How is that going to help us?

It's the same with the plastic pollution situation. If we do not get on top of that, then by 2050, the plastic in the oceans could outweigh all the living things in the ocean. Half the air we breathe is produced by the ocean. How many people know that?

Do you know there are people out there that do not see this as a problem too? Quite unbelievable!

Peoe can deny climate change all they want. We will always have people who will, just like we eill always have HIV causes Aids deniers, and some of these deniers are so called experts!

People tend to not care, when it's not directly effecting them at the moment. Just the way we are unfortunately.
edit on 28-9-2019 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

If we have sustained population growth we will have to continuously reduce our per capita greenhouse gas emissions just to keep our total emissions at the current level. Can you see that happening in America? Realistically?

Yes. Look at the auto industry for an example, less people are purchasing vehicles and the vehicles they do purchase are emitting lower outputs than older vehicles.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Would you be happier if she was educated to be just bright enough to tick a box and vote?

Show me a child at that age that's not preachy or self-righteous to an extent, or show me one without a predominantly angry scowl on there face 5 days out of 7?

She's not suggesting we go back to living like peasants, that's the politicians with there Brexit bull crap and forced austerity all over the shop.

What she's suggesting is a change of our ways, so we stop craping all over our own doorsteps, in the manner we have been for quite some time.

Don't worry about the loss of out interwebs and network capabilities, that's not going to happen, progress travels forwards, backwards not so much.
edit on 28-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join