It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'tell'.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   
In poker there is a strong game of 'out psyching' your opponent so that they either become overconfident and take silly risks or they become too querulous and miss opportunities because the feel they don't have a strong enough hand.

So, to gain the advantage, a good poker player looks for little, and usually subliminal, indicators from their opponents.

Usually, such a 'tell' indicates that someone is bluffing. It might be dilation of the pupils, a nervous tic, or even an unnatural stillness indicating that someone is 'holding something in'. We are very complex physiological beings and we constantly give off these clues all the time. A polygraph works on this principle, that we don't act normally when we lie and that there are subtle indicators happening all the time.

With that in mind, I was reading the 'transcript' of the 'phone conversation between the US and Ukrainian Presidents, and that is at the crux of the current bit of media excitement. In it, there is a reasonable and flowing style of sentence construction by both parties and yet one section seems different. Out of place, almost.

In this section, Trump suddenly shifts from normal sentences, into disjointed partial and dangling sentences with a few key words and names dropped. Also, Trump isn't explicitly saying anything there, the rational sense of narrative flow seems to have gone out the window.

And then, the conversation resumes its normal structure again.

Could this be Trump's 'tell'? The sign that he is bluffing?

So, I cast my mind back to the times he has given speeches and have noticed there is a strong correlation between the most outrageous things Trump says, and the disjointed and piecemeal style of his language only in those places.

Does the same seem apparent to others here, or am I just imagining it out of some sort of confirmation anti-bias?

edit on 26/9/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I played some poker in my day. Let me explain a real tell. I'm sure being an expert on getting tells from a memo you will have certainly picked up on this one.

Whenever the left has bet on some new thing that is going to bring down Trump and it fails miserably the leftist brigade comes out in full force with lies, denials, exaggeration, and false bravado. That's how we know it's all just a big bluff. You keep bluffing even when all your cards are on the table because, like gambling addicts, you're all too wrapped up in trying to win to realize the game is already over.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Just another Democratic party smear campaign that hopefully will not cost another 2 years and 30 plus million dollars to figure out they are full of S**t once again.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

No. A real tell is more subtle, like when a guy opens and licks an Oreo cookie before placing a bet on a bluff in a high stakes, one on one poker game.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But now that you know that tell you can beat your opponent, straight up and get paid your money.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

To stick with the poker analogy, the reality is that the left keeps bluffing, without even a semblance of a strong hand, and President Trump re-raises, and forces them to either fold, or put more in the pot. Either way, the left ends up losing the hand.

At this point, they have invested in so many losing hands, they don't have enough chips left to be competitive. Trump can now "pick" the hands he want to play aggressively.

The lesson here? Don't bet against Donald, without the cards to back it up. No poker player wins every hand, but history has shown, at the end of the night, Trump usually ends up with the chips, or in this case, the 2020 election.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
But now that you know that tell you can beat your opponent, straight up and get paid your money.

Fair and square.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

First response in the thread: what about the left..

You were talking about a tell?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My poker strategy is the night before I eat about a dozen pickled eggs and chase them down with about a case of Old English 800 while I pop open a couple tins of smoked oysters and choke them down too. After I get hammered outta' my mind I stumble back to my hotel room and order a deluxe pizza with anchovies and extra mushrooms and onions.

During the tournament the next day, when I get an off-suit 2,2,5,8,9, I turn to the guy next to me and say..."Dude...here...pull my finger!". After they put the fire out, I go all-in on my hand. They all fold, choking and gagging.

Works every time!

edit on 9/26/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
That's just how he talks. Sentence structure isn't his thing.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think the tell was the Ukrainian president telling reporters yesterday when asked about such that there was no pressure.
I think that is the largest tell in the whole event.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My favorite:

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
My favorite:

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

Wasn't this 'speech' given at the height of the Special Counsel investigation? It could still be a 'tell' related to his emotional state. On the surface he mostly acted calm and in control but he did respond several times as if he himself was being persecuted. Hence the 'tell' becomes overpowering.

Or it could be dementia or drugs.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
My poker strategy is the night before I eat about a dozen pickled eggs and chase them down with about a case of Old English 800 while I pop open a couple tins of smoked oysters and choke them down too. After I get hammered outta' my mind I stumble back to my hotel room and order a deluxe pizza with anchovies and extra mushrooms and onions.

During the tournament the next day, when I get an off-suit 2,2,5,8,9, I turn to the guy next to me and say..."Dude...here...pull my finger!". After they put the fire out, I go all-in on my hand. They all fold, choking and gagging.

Works every time!

Apparently Ronald Reagan used that same trick at world summit photo opportunities. They are all standing together for the cameras and he is the only one smiling.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

But you guys are playing liars poker not hold em.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I played some poker in my day. Let me explain a real tell. I'm sure being an expert on getting tells from a memo you will have certainly picked up on this one.

The memo was the recollections of an overheard phone call. In that way, it does relate to Trump's speech patterns.

Whenever the left has bet on some new thing that is going to bring down Trump and it fails miserably the leftist brigade comes out in full force with lies, denials, exaggeration, and false bravado. That's how we know it's all just a big bluff. You keep bluffing even when all your cards are on the table because, like gambling addicts, you're all too wrapped up in trying to win to realize the game is already over.

Yeah, the Feds tried again and again to prosecute Al Capone, too. Despite the gangland crimes that Capone masterminded, in the end, they got him on tax fraud.

But that is getting off-topic.

If it's not a 'tell', what is causing Trump's incoherent patches of speech?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Just another Democratic party smear campaign that hopefully will not cost another 2 years and 30 plus million dollars to figure out they are full of S**t once again.

I am not a member of the Democratic party and am not even eligible to vote in US elections.

Besides, I wasn't talking about anyone else, but Donald Trump.

Do you think it is a 'tell', and if not, what is happening? Why is he speaking like that?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

First response in the thread: what about the left..

You were talking about a tell?

So, not a 'tell' because "the left"?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No. A real tell is more subtle, like when a guy opens and licks an Oreo cookie before placing a bet on a bluff in a high stakes, one on one poker game.

I thought opening and licking an Oreo was merely operant programming?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
I think the tell was the Ukrainian president telling reporters yesterday when asked about such that there was no pressure.
I think that is the largest tell in the whole event.

Because the danger of loosing the fight against Russia if the US withholds armaments, is no pressure at all.

He'd probably be executed or imprisoned for life. No pressure, none whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

join