It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friendly PSA: it's chigger season in the south.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So I mowed on Saturday.... And Sunday I thought I was having an allergic reaction on my legs dispite being allergy free for a decade (but allergies can come and go). It started out what seemed to be a bunch of hives.

Nope, over a hundred chigger bites on the legs confirmed by doc. I rarely buckle and go to the doctor, but I knew I had to get some steroids to keep this reaction at bay.

One ankle has a cuff of about fifty bites just in a few square inches.

So if you're in the south, they seem to be bad this year. Make sure to use DEET or a natural repellent as this time of year is when they are most active.
edit on 24-9-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I slept outside on a couch after a party a couple weeks ago at friends house. I got ate the f up. My ankles look like a war zone.

I had never been bitten by chiggers before.

Moral to the story, even if it's nice outside and you're drunk, go inside to sleep.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the warning...your PSA inspired me to research further...be careful!!

www.cdc.gov...

www.npr.org...

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

As a kid I always got chigger bites around the waistband of my shorts and my stomach. Chigger bites are the WORST. Hope yours clear up soon, mister!

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

we use to use some sort of sulfur mix in a sock in texas, bang it on calves and no worries.

but if you did get them i think we used clear nail polish to kill them

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Never heard of them. Thanks for the warning because those look nasty and so do the bites.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Woof, I feel your pain.

Worse part is, unlike mequitos, chigger bites can take up to a day just to start appearing. By the time you see the bites start to show, it's just a guessing game as to what damage has been done.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm going to keep an eye for the top link. This is the worse I've ever had them.... Texas wasn't even this bad that I remember.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
clear nail polish on where they are suffocates them

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Didn't know you lived in Texas at one point... Very cool man.

I got them once while I was there visiting my great grandpa in Stephenville.

Red ants were the real devil while mowing there.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Never heard of them. Thanks for the warning because those look nasty and so do the bites.

Usually they aren't in well kept yards... Usually pretty avoidable... They must be very plentiful this year.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

dude the freaking snakes in stephenville are out of control!

so many damn sneks!

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Eat more garlic. I've never had chiggers and am outside all the time, even in knee high grass. I know they are there because other people get them so bad here.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I've had half a bulb of garlic in various meals since Friday 😂

I think I just lost the lottery.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

As a kid I always got chigger bites around the waistband of my shorts and my stomach.

My wasteline down looks like a victim of biological warfare.

I called in today though... I got three hours of sleep and woke up at four... I've been drinking scotch since then to keep myself from peeling my skin off.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
So I mowed on Saturday.... And Sunday I thought I was having an allergic reaction on my legs dispite being allergy free for a decade (but allergies can come and go). It started out what seemed to be a bunch of hives.

Nope, over a hundred chigger bites on the legs confirmed by doc. I rarely buckle and go to the doctor, but I knew I had to get some steroids to keep this reaction at bay.

So if you're in the south, they seem to be bad this year. Make sure to use DEET or a natural repellent as this time of year is when they are most active.

Grew up in the south. Those little buggers used to tear us up in the summer (the worst is getting them around your nether regions...)

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Grew up in the south. Those little buggers used to tear us up in the summer (the worst is getting them around your nether regions...)

Without getting into too much detail...

I know.

To cope I've been abusing scotch, taking antihistamines, steroids, and dousing in calamine spray... In no certain order.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I hate chiggers.
I grew up in southcentral Pennsylvania, but we had them there. I was once out night fishing as a child and ended up with what seemed like a hundred of them from my knees down on both legs.
edit on b000000302019-09-24T13:01:59-05:0001America/ChicagoTue, 24 Sep 2019 13:01:59 -0500100000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Dust your socks with sulfur powder.
I hate chiggers.
They go straight for my nuts.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ugggh chiggers.
Don't fret, they are actually just tiny spiders that dissolve your flesh.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join