It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things are looking good in the rust belt for Trump .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This started out to be a post in a thread dealing with a CNN video about democrats and unions voting for Trump in Northeast Minnesota.

A video which I loved.

But the more I looked into the other 99.999999999% of CNN’s reporting. That love was fleeting.

The bottom line is to me it looks like the steel tariffs are success story for the rust belt. They just didn’t get the mining and steel plants going. They got many parts of the gears turning.

In Rural Northeast Minnesota the lifeblood of the area is the mining industry . I’ve seen what mines do to town’s when they shut down in Kentucky. (Coal) When you start seeing plywood covering windows on Main Street it doesn’t bode well for the future.

Towards the tail end of the video I caught a glimpse of the name Thunderbird mine. I thought well hell that gives me a place to start. So I looked it up .

Which led me to the following article.

Starting in 2016 the United Taconite 11(Thunderbird mine )started recalling workers after attention was brought to the fact that China had been illegally dumping steel in the US.

I’m not afraid to give credit where credit is due so.

Obama gets a little credit for taking action against China dumping steel. Baby steps are good. But the federal government stagnates. You need a businessman to invigorate.

Here’s the article from May 2016 announcing some rehiring starting with the Thunderbird mine. Keep in mind this was under Obama.

Union steel workers are doing maintenance at these mines

www.twincities.com...

For union miners
(this is an old article but he gave me a reference)

www.startribune.com...

Selling their products to union steel plants in Indiana

usa.arcelormittal.com...

Transported by union shipping across the great lakes.

www.lcaships.com...

You’ve got to admire the way those guys look out for each other.

Trumps first round of steel tariffs were in March 2018. Here’s a article from October 2018 already giving credit to the tariffs for the shot in the arm the area needed not just for the minors but for manufacturers and others support businesses.

According to the Iron Mining Association of Minnesota, a trade group that represents the mines and about 200 related businesses, the mines employ about 4,500 workers. Another 11,500 workers, according to the association, are employed indirectly – in the manufacturing, construction, engineering and other firms that serve the industry. An oft-cited 2012 study by the University of Minnesota-Duluth found that each mining job generates another 1.8 jobs in other sectors.

www.minnpost.com...

This article from March 2019 left no doubt in my mind that this is success story that should be getting good national news not fake news bad.

Cause we’re sure as hell winning this part of the trade war.

A new state budget and economic forecast reflected positive news for the Iron Range, which added jobs in recent years and has seen a strong boost in iron ore exports, used to create steel. State budget officials credited tariffs on imported steel with helping bolster the local economy.

“A 5.2 percent increase in employment means a lot of money in the economy in northeastern Minnesota,” said Kelsey Johnson, president of the Iron Mining Association of Minnesota. “It means that families are able to pay for their necessities and have a little bit of savings at home as well.”
For President Donald Trump, it could also mean a political boost.

The president’s tariffs have had varied impacts in different industries, and the new state forecast report by Minnesota Management and Budget notes that escalating trade rhetoric with China in 2018 hurt soybean farmers and led to the lowest soybean prices in a decade. But for Minnesota’s iron ore industry, the tariffs on imported steel have been a boon.
Iron ore exports were up 42 percent in the third quarter of 2018 compared to the previous year, the forecast states.
That bodes well for Trump in 2020, said state Rep. Sandy Layman, R-Cohasset, who said voters on the Iron Range and elsewhere vote their pocketbook.

In 2016 the miners and their families were hungry and struggling so some supported Trump.

In 2020 they’re going to be fat and happy with a lump in their wallet that can hurt a man’s back or make his butt cheek go numb if he sits on it for to long. Stands to reason that the turn out for Trump will be larger .

Trump lost Minnesota by 44,000 votes. I think we’ve got those and more.

The margins in the other rust Belt states he won should be larger. But what about the doom and gloom we’ve seen in the news with headlines like “ US steel corp to lay hundreds of workers off”!

www.cnn.com...

We know the answer to that it’s fake news. If they failed to mention is US steel Corp employees around 30,000 people in whole.

en.wikipedia.org...

I looked into more of the doom and gloom from the fake news media. It just doesn’t always seem to add up. It looks like things are much better off than The liberal media says. (Gasp)

I expect one of our liberal members to challenge me on that and I welcome it. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I don’t think it’s that clear.

Which brings us to Pennsylvania. Fracking has taken off in western Pennsylvania and Trump wants to expand that using natural gas from fracking for manufacture of plastics.

You’ll never guess who’s against it?

www.eenews.net...

Good for them

I’ve got a question for CNN too. How come when you Google steel jobs in Pennsylvania. There are so many openings if trumps tariffs have the industry hacking up it’s last lung?

The unions are strong in the rust belt. Steel is the motivator of the rest of the economy. Democrats are cutting there own throat in Pennsylvania.

Good times

I’ve modified this meme for TOS. Hope it’s OK. 😇

Special thanks to
a reply to: Pyle
You gave me the research bug. Lol

edit on 22-9-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Things are looking good nationwide for Trump

He’s already won

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

My friend is moving to Memphis in a few months to run a steel distribution company.
They buy from the mills and sell to manufacturing companies.
Pretty sure Nucor has a mill close to them.
They are almost finished with their new building in northern Alabama.

He says that steel sales have been strong for a couple years now and the future looks good.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
SUPREME VICTORY!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
President Trump works in stages. He uses his experience in business these days to help out "all" Americans, whether they hate him or wish he would just disappear.
Many Americans think only of America, the reason is because they live in America, but what you don't know is that Trump is helping other countries by not going the TPP route.
The reason is, he actually is helping them countries export their goods all over the world with "lower tariffs " . And by doing this , them countries now have opened up their country to more American goods with a "working down" tariff schedule.
Most people didn't know that about Trumps TPP and get the hell out of it, but he just did it to help all people around the world.
Here is an example of what I'm talking about. I don't have the info on increased or new exports to other countries, maybe some one here can follow up on this.

Yes, I live in Japan and now the steak and hamburger joints are popping up. Although Japan still imports most of its beef from Uruguay, the increase of beef from the US is increasing with more possible lower tariffs in the future.

The Yomiuri Shimbun Since the Trans-Pacific Partnership came into effect, a wider variety of imported beef has been making its way onto the tables of Japanese households.

Products from Canada and New Zealand have been increasing, and “new forces” from South America have appeared after bans on imports from those countries were removed.

Up to now, the United States and Australia almost exclusively dominated beef imports into Japan, accounting for 90 percent of the total. But the grip of the “Big 2” is being loosened by Canada and New Zealand, which saw their prices go down after tariffs on their beef dropped from 38.5 percent to 26.6 percent starting in April, after the TPP took effect at the end of last year.

Canadian beef is regarded as similar in terms of quality to that of the United States, which Japanese consumers prefer. According to trade statistics of the Finance Ministry, the import volume in January-June this year was 17,303 tons, up 93 percent from the same period last year. Imports of New Zealand beef, known for its high lean content, rose 46 percent to 10,097 tons.

At one supermarket in Tokyo, Canadian chuck loin sells for about ¥258 per 100 grams. “It is about the same price as the U.S. beef, so it’s not out of reach,” the purchasing manager said.

South American imports are expected to show growth gradually. Beef imports from Uruguay and Argentina had been banned due to past outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease, an infectious disease affecting livestock. But the government, receiving assurances of safety, lifted the bans on beef from Patagonia in southern Argentina in June 2018 and from Uruguay in February this year.

Ito-Yokado Co. was the first major Japanese retailer to sell Argentine beef, starting sales in June over a limited period. “It has a high content of lean meat and a soft texture, so you can sense the true flavor of the meat,” a company official said. The company intends to consider future sales of the product.

Gyu-Kaku, a major yakiniku restaurant chain, uses Uruguayan beef at about 630 outlets nationwide.

Under the TPP, beef tariffs will be lowered in stages to 9 percent. By increasing the volume, South American beef can be imported at lower prices than that from the United States and Australia. More varieties of imported beef can then be expected to lead to lower prices through competition.

For the United States, the changes in the Japanese imported beef market is a point of concern. By withdrawing from the TPP, it stands to find itself at a disadvantage in terms of price and lose market share in Japan. The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to increase pressure in trade negotiations for Japan to open its markets.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah steel sales are good internally “American steel”.

I saw an article from CNN researching this it was dated three days ago. They said US Corp’s stock was down 35%!!!

Doom and gloom the tariffs weren’t working !!!

I looked into it. Their stock is down because their plants in Europe are closing.

That’s just what the tariffs were suppose to do.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah steel sales are good internally “American steel”.

I saw an article from CNN researching this it was dated three days ago. They said US Corp’s stock was down 35%!!!

Doom and gloom the tariffs weren’t working !!!

I looked into it. Their stock is down because their plants in Europe are closing.

That’s just what the tariffs were suppose to do.

What does that have to do with the US plants and tariffs by the US?

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Thanks learned a lot I didn’t know .

I’ve been told by people I trust that TPP would put China in the driver seat to be the world’s biggest economy. I always felt that it was part of Obama’s plan to topple America .

Hopefully lower tariffs worldwide will lead to the countries in South America picking up more manufacturing and taking it away from China. We need to slow China down as much as possible . It sounds like Trump tried to throw a monkey wrench into the works .

There’s a rancher on here I forget his name. I hope he chimes in to give us his look on what will happen to the domestic beef industry . I think he told me at one time that when it gets more expensive to feed them then what they’re worth. They either get put down or sent to slaughter early. Looking at it from the outside it seems like slaughtering more will overstock the market causing prices to drop even faster .

That one’s beyond me. The only thing I know about beef is that I don’t like the lean beef. The fat is it flavor. Ribeye is the best cut for me . Lol

I guess one sick cow from Argentina could change the whole market for us . ( tongue in cheek )

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

While the Democrats continue to trash talk fly over country. Trump is doing his best to help them. Trump already has 2020 in the bag. The Dems are campaigning for Blue state votes while Trump is keeping his base and retaining the purple states that matter. Dems are disfunctional, I don't know who is organizing the talking points for them but they suck real bad, the only thing they are doing effectively is by censoring conservatives but that only works temporarily, in the end there will be blowback.
edit on 22-9-2019 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That should be a given since rust is an orangey colour .

Since there's literally no one else trump will get a second term, I think it will only be a shock if he doesn't win.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
House will go Red in 2020 also. There is no one who can counter Trump in the general election. Those running are simply raising money and sending it down the line to save House seats but it will not work.

When Trump has his own elected Congress things will start to get done...until Romney tries to pull a McCain on a large bill then it will all be over for the RINO's.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Not 100% sure what you meant and your question feels like a trap ?

But I’ll give it a try .

Stock prices will drop because they’re shutting down assets which would reduce any cash flow those assets were adding . That would reduce profits and lead to weaker quarterly projections. I’m not a investment advisor but that sounds like the basics and is the basis of my reasoning .

Because of US tariffs , Europe is keeping their’s high. That’s why they call it a trade war . Including tariffs on the raw materials needed to produce the steel which leads to cost increases and a decision to shut a plant down . All of which brings steel manufacturing home hopefully new markets and the steel selling domestically . “ infrastructure made with American steel” I think that’s one of the reasons the Democrats are bucking Trump on the infrastructure plan .

Like I said I’m no expert you or anybody else can set me straight or work out the kinks .

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I am so confused how my comment about GOP putting in place laws to hurt and weaken unions in states they have gained control of,such as my example of Wisconsin, has to do with tariffs effecting industry in other states like Minnesota which is not GOP controlled.

So US Steel is doing amazing according to you but still had to cut hundreds of jobs, due to less demand for US steel exports which is in part caused by tariffs.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Not 100% sure what you meant and your question feels like a trap ?

But I’ll give it a try .

Stock prices will drop because they’re shutting down assets which would reduce any cash flow those assets were adding . That would reduce profits and lead to weaker quarterly projections. I’m not a investment advisor but that sounds like the basics and is the basis of my reasoning .

Because of US tariffs , Europe is keeping their’s high. That’s why they call it a trade war . Including tariffs on the raw materials needed to produce the steel which leads to cost increases and a decision to shut a plant down . All of which brings steel manufacturing home hopefully new markets and the steel selling domestically . “ infrastructure made with American steel” I think that’s one of the reasons the Democrats are bucking Trump on the infrastructure plan .

Like I said I’m no expert you or anybody else can set me straight or work out the kinks .

I understand what you are trying get a hold of. What has happened now and I only speak of the tariffs between Japan and the US, which is being lowered, finally. American whiskey is now very cheap here and I'm cheap.
American beef is now being lowered in cost here. So all the Korean/Japanese bbq places now can either lower their prices or make more money, but the new companies opening up are putting their prices a bit high at the moment, so I don't know what will take place.
I will say this, overseas businessman that has a "profit" only mind hate Trump.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Me too. Lol

You asked me a question on the other CNN thread that made me do some research that got out of hand .

When someone is using hundreds of people as a example to show the steel industry is failing .

And the company employs 30,000 people . You can be pretty sure you’re not getting the whole story .

I saw headlines all over the place that US steel is closing three plants. I saw the announcement from US steel they aren’t laying anybody off at them . Articles in April that said the steel industries is in turmoil. An announcement from US steel in May that they’re investing $1 billion renovating plants

I was surprised as I looked into the stuff deeper .

Because for a change I was believing their narrative .

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Good Stuff.
I do not view Chinese Network News.
But thanks for the evaluation.
I wonder what Ted Turner thinks of what has
become of his originally incredible creation.

S&F to you

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

I am so confused how my comment about GOP putting in place laws to hurt and weaken unions in states they have gained control of,such as my example of Wisconsin, has to do with tariffs effecting industry in other states like Minnesota which is not GOP controlled.

So US Steel is doing amazing according to you but still had to cut hundreds of jobs, due to less demand for US steel exports which is in part caused by tariffs.

This is the 21st Century and there is no more need for unions .

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

One of the biggest lies I have ever heard. Companies are daily screwing employees, wage theaft is one of the biggest issues in the country on top mandatory overtime, no mandated time off, “at will”employment, etc.

Either you get government involved (good luck with the GOP stacking the deck for corporations) or you have unions.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

300 WHILE steel prices and demand is still falling. It is an indicator that other employees may be at risk.

They say they are investing $1 billion while also saying we don’t make enough so we have to lay-off workers.

Very mixed messages there and not a indicator of a huge Trump win like you are attempting in this thread.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

One of the biggest lies I have ever heard. Companies are daily screwing employees, wage theaft is one of the biggest issues in the country on top mandatory overtime, no mandated time off, “at will”employment, etc.

Either you get government involved (good luck with the GOP stacking the deck for corporations) or you have unions.

Or he runs a company that pays slave wages and paying his staff a living wage is not satisfactory.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join